• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    If you're looking to rent, you're only real concern will be proximity to amenities you want/need and crime. For that, just about any area save a few will suffice.

If you want to buy eventually and don't want to relocate to a different side of town to do it, the west/southwest/south sides of Indy offer the best bang for your buck (excluding the craphole eastside where you can't give a house away). Not much in terms of apartments on the SW side (avoid Decatur Woods like the plague), but there are a few.

In all cases, do your best to locate OUTSIDE the 465 loop. The farther you get from it, the better off you'll be.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I always get a kick out of the snooty Carmel comments. School system is one of the best in the state and my property taxes are lower than Z-ville, Fishers, Westfield and Noblesville. It's all about picking the neighborhood. My neighbors could care less about what I do as long as I'm not sacrificing a goat. Roundabouts aren't that hard to deal with either. In fact, you might feel at home with the roundy's we have. :D

A_Brit_In_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Greenwood, Indiana
    I always get a kick out of the snooty Carmel comments.

Hooky, You're right not everyone from Carmel is snooty, I was a Service manager up there for a while, most people I dealt with (who also drove European cars) acted "seemingly superior" just because they had a BMW or a Mercedes, don't get me started on the ones who drove Porsche's.
    I shouldn't have made such a sweeping statement, and you're right the roundabouts at the clay center are fun :)

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Napalm, Move to the Southside, it's where all the good Brits live, we have a great Indian restaurant, a bar that serves the best fish and chips and British beers. It's just like Carmel without the "snooty people" the high prices and those God awful traffic jams.
    I live in Center Grove, the mall in Greenwood is second to none and all in all it's a nice place.
    Not much crime here, great gun shop and the best shooting range is 20 minutes away.
    What more could you ask for mate ??

Thanks for that. Sounds good :D

How far is it from the city centre / metro area? Her commute is probably the main factor.

I'm just about to be hired for an auto parts store (hopefully) up here in NWI so hopefully I can get another similar job dahn sarf.

Ok... Wife asks about specific apartment complexes...:
    Villages of Bent Tree on Ramblewood. (Westchester Estates?)
    Woodbridge Apartments, San Miguel Drive (up near Fishers).
    Pebble Point Apartments, Pebble Point Drive (outside of 465 on the West side)

I guess she's looking at apt complexes right now as opposed to picking a town and finding apartments to rent.

smokeater

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    indy
    south side without a doubt. moved here from rural north central indiana 24 years ago and when i found the south side after being in indy for five years it was the best move we made.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    south side without a doubt. moved here from rural north central indiana 24 years ago and when i found the south side after being in indy for five years it was the best move we made.

She heard the south side was bad... Her dad said stay away from the airport area.

That is going against everything you guys are saying so I tend to believe you lot ;)

CombatRex

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    NE side of Indy
    NE side, just south of Hamilton county out of the more expenseive fishers and carmel, but still on a very nice side of Indy.....east 96th st and fall creek area.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Zionsville or Whitestown really nice

The downside to Whitestown is a town that tries to finance it's government with traffic stops, many of them bogus.

And the police will commit perjury in traffic court just to get fines from motorists.
    I witnessed it firsthand when I accompanied somebody to traffic court there.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Napalm, Move to the Southside, it's where all the good Brits live, we have a great Indian restaurant, a bar that serves the best fish and chips and British beers. It's just like Carmel without the "snooty people" the high prices and those God awful traffic jams.
    I live in Center Grove, the mall in Greenwood is second to none and all in all it's a nice place.
    Not much crime here, great gun shop and the best shooting range is 20 minutes away.

/End Thread

:D

Seriously, Southside rocks. Almost everything the Northside offers, if not more, except for the cost, and the snobs..

just my :twocents:

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Hooky, You're right not everyone from Carmel is snooty, I was a Service manager up there for a while, most people I dealt with (who also drove European cars) acted "seemingly superior" just because they had a BMW or a Mercedes, don't get me started on the ones who drove Porsche's.
    I shouldn't have made such a sweeping statement, and you're right the roundabouts at the clay center are fun :)

I get ya though. We do have our fair share of royals. When I first moved to Indy with the intent to stay, we built in Greenwood. There's plenty of holier than there also. We moved up here to be closer to work, and more importantly, grandparents. 90 minutes to Christmas at grandma's was way better than over 2 hours. We were worried about resale and ended up making friends. Hamilton county is generally gun friendly. Lots of flat spaces that need a good backstop. ;)

A_Brit_In_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Greenwood, Indiana
    Thanks for that. Sounds good :D

I'm just about to be hired for an auto parts store (hopefully) up here in NWI so hopefully I can get another similar job dahn sarf.

Napalm, what were you going to do in the auto shop? I deal with Advance, O'Reilly and Auto-zone (some) also deal with Dreyer Reinbold (North & South), Tom Wood (All Euro makes), LKQ, Brickyard to name a few.
    Downtown Indy is 15 minutes on a good day, 40 minutes to get home on a Friday.
    Johnson County is very nice, good people, safe and clean.
    Tell me what position you were looking for, I may be in a position to offer some good assistance (I have a good rep down here)
    There are plenty of apartments and houses nearby, let me know if I can help you.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

Just a slight tangent.. What bar are you referring to when you say "bar that serves the best fish and chips and British beers." ?

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Basically starting at the bottom right now. The manager was impressed by my car knowledge and wanted to hire me on the spot but is doing the background checks.

Nothing fancy.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I'm in Beech Grove, it's just inside 465 on the southeast side. Been here for 41 years and my parents were here 10 years before that. Good schools, good cops(now) little crime, low property taxes and 10 minutes from downtown Indy. Greenwood to the south for shopping, or for the more adventureous, Washington Square to the east. I can get to anywhere in Indy in under a half hour. A lot of bang for your buck.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I really do not understand the negativity about the northside cities. Yes traffic is a nightmare and some of the Euro-Car guys can be snooty but 95% of the people here are wonderful, there is very little crime, and the schools are second to none. I lived in Indy for 14 years, Carmel area for 13. Each has it's perks and faults but I give the nod to Carmel.

The only way I think Carmel could be better is if we had more than just flat cornfields for an hour in all directions. Southern Indiana is defiantly more beautifully landscaped.

Napalm, I've worked for an autoparts store in the Carmel area for 5 years, I can show you around... and my employer is always hiring.

Last edited:

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    99% of the advice in this thread is spot on. I live in Greenwood and have for several years. Pretty good area. My sister lives in Carmel and thats a good area too.

Top Bottom