• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    The wife is potentially moving us to Indy for work.

We're looking at places to live down there right now. Where should we really avoid... For me, where is gun friendly? I hear all kinds of stories on here about various PDs being gun nazis, or being speeder nazis or just nazis in general.

The job would be in the metro area but I can't give any more specific details. I guess as long as her commute is less than the 25 miles each way that she does around here then she doesn't mind.

Dave.

Last edited:

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    Personal observation ( I am biased) the North side and Carmel are very overpriced and the people very much to concerned with thier own importance. East side is mostly out of work factory people West has a high concentration of Illegals.
    For me only the south side of Indy holds any promise, try, HOmecroft, Southport, Greenwood, if you want out in the country gun friendly rural Johnson and Morgan Counties

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I have lived in Carmel and now in Fisher's. There are a lot of ppl on this forum from Fishers, including Fenway. Now, i would actually not recommend Fishers b/c your wife would have to take 69 to work everyday. Not sure what your budget is but Zionsville is nice and 65 into down town is also nice, as long as you get off at West street. Do you have kids? If not then maybe the north west side near Eagle Creek. If you do have kids i would stay out of Pike township. Also a bad thing about Carmel is your wife would have to take US31 all the way to down town. I did that for school and it takes a good 45 minutes from 126th and 31. I am partial to the North side so i would recommend Zionsville. Or maybe even a little further out..whites town... Lebanon?

Also, the North side is "over priced" b/c there is a demand. So is it really over priced? Your house is only worth what someone else will pay for it. Also, i take offence that North siders are concerned with their own importance. Pretty dumb generalization. I live in a very middle class neighborhood where everyone is very friendly. Venture up to the 500k minimum neighborhoods and yes you are probably right, but i'm sure that can be said about your south side.

Last edited:

euby

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    West Newton
    Just pick one of the doughnut counties and you should be fine. I'm kind of partial to the south side..... well just because its closer to where I always go ....south.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I recommend Plainfield. It's only 15 miles from the metro area, and is "country" adjacent. Traffice is never really an issue for me, and we're less than 45 minutes from anywhere in the greater Indy area.

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    No kids, no ties, no dog... Budget is real low right now. We're looking at 1 bed apartments.

Well then. You have a lot of freedom. Since you won't be tied to an area as you would with a house. I say experiment. Find some place that you like and looks nice and go for it. Maybe near MCFG? :)

brutalone

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Westside Indianapolis
    I wish you had posted a month ago..... I had a 3 bedroom corner lot with fenced in yard house in Lawrence (East just outside the loop) I was willing to rent out for 600 a month...
    My ex old lady is leasing it now though.....

brutalone

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Westside Indianapolis
    Well then. You have a lot of freedom. Since you won't be tied to an area as you would with a house. I say experiment. Find some place that you like and looks nice and go for it. Maybe near MCFG? :)
    Yip.... Not bad out here. I am about 5 miles from the range. So long as you don't go to Lafayette Square mall or try to drive through Speedway road construction at rush hour.... It's pretty nice over here.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    The South West corner of the city puts you between 3 working ranges and one coming soon.

Indy Trading Post (indoor)
    MCFG (outdoor with membership only)
    Eagle Creek Pistol Range (outdoor)

You can also go to Danville for shotgun clays and archery. I believe you have to buy a membership there as well.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I would go Avon, Brownsburg, Camby, Moorseville, or Plainfield The drive to the metro area is easy, unlike anywhere you have to take 69. The areas are gun-friendly, with shops and ranges in close proximity.

If I had the chance, I would certainly try to find a place on the Southwest side of town, just outside of Marion County, where I could shoot on my own property.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Are there any military air bases down in Indy? I'm a radio/plane geek and there's nothing up here in NWI. Except the NG at Gary... but not a place I can go plane spotting ;)

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    I would go Avon, Brownsburg, Camby, Moorseville, or Plainfield The drive to the metro area is easy, unlike anywhere you have to take 69. The areas are gun-friendly, with shops and ranges in close proximity.

If I had the chance, I would certainly try to find a place on the Southwest side of town, just outside of Marion County, where I could shoot on my own property.

Thanks Keh... I mean.. Queue... ;)

I would love to have a place where I could shoot in my own backyard. Can't do that up here in Schererville that's for sure.

I'll show her this thread (or maybe just give her the synopsis) tonight and we can go look at apartments online and see what the prices are like.

It's all up in the air right now though but at least this way we have some research to do.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World

:+1:

I am partial to avon as I live there. PM me if you want and I can make apartment recommendations. But honestly in avon I would rent a house they are the same price or cheaper than some apartments.

if you have/want kids avon and brownsburg tend be be considered "better" school districts.

Outlaw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Cornfield east of Indy
    I live in greenfield area and I love it. Nice medium size town. Friendly people and cheap real estate. Traffic is easier than living on the westside too. Plus we will have an indoor range soon. That is if you even need it. There a lot of nice rural houses out here

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Close to Indy I would say Zionsville/Carmel/Westfield but kinda pricey. Lebanon and Whitestown a little further out but all still safe. Brownsburg/Plainfield/Avon/Danville on the westside (I like Brownsburg-small town feel but has most amenities you need), SW corner in Camby/Mooresville.

I do not like the NE corner due to traffic issues. East side is dying and has larger amount of problems (but has some nice areas as well). I cannot comment much about the Southside and Greenwood because I usually avoid it do to traffic issues.

All of these are close. If you buy a house, though Avon, Pike Township, Carmel, Zionsville, Westfield and Brownsburg have high property taxes.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I live on the southside and like it, used to work on the NW side..... that drive was not fun. I work on the east side area...... only a few areas there I would ever consider.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    If you are looking for an apartment, I would look in the area of Avon. They have a nice mall and it's close to the Y.

A_Brit_In_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Greenwood, Indiana
    Napalm, Move to the Southside, it's where all the good Brits live, we have a great Indian restaurant, a bar that serves the best fish and chips and British beers. It's just like Carmel without the "snooty people" the high prices and those God awful traffic jams.
    I live in Center Grove, the mall in Greenwood is second to none and all in all it's a nice place.
    Not much crime here, great gun shop and the best shooting range is 20 minutes away.
    What more could you ask for mate ??

Top Bottom