• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    Currently in negotiations to buy a house in Southern Indiana. If our offer is accepted I will be changing my status from Georgia "Cracker" to Indiana "Hoosier." :):

My question is how is the best way to move my private gun collection (about 30 guns, mostly handguns) through Tenn. and Ky. into Indiana. I don't have the paperwork on most of guns because the collection spans over 30 years.

Even sticking to interstates, I probably will be required to pull into some inspection stations with my truck pulling a U Haul.

I do have a Georgia permit to carry and it is supposedly honored by Tenn., Ky., and Indiana.

Just like to get some opinions from anyone who has moved across country with private owned guns.

Well...:welcome: to Madison from a fellow Madisonian. PM me if you have any questions or concerns.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Sleep with your Guns...

Dixiejack, WELCOLME to Indiana..

I grew up in SW Fla. and moved to Indy area in 1977. My parents were still in the Naples area, and I have made the trip more than a few times.
    I was always armed one way or another. At first Mossberg 500-18"-in the early years, it was "More Legal " than a handgun.

When we had little children, we would stop somewhere between Atlanta, and Macon Ga.
    I ALWAYS would take the firearm into the motel room.

Mostly in the later years, I would drive straight through=17 to 20 hours, depending on traffic+construction. If I did stop, it would be in a State Rest Area, for a few hours sleep.

Your guns-Your call, but I can tell you U-Hauls, Bass Boats, and anything else of possible value are "Prime Pickings" for the thieves.

In most cases the motel night clerk is in with the AzzHoles that break into+rob you blind.

Yea, you call the cops, the night clerk knows "NOTHING" and saw "NOTHING"!! Actually the clerk knows that he is in for a % of the loot.

For ME, it's drive straight through, or sleep with your guns...Bill.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Wow, I had to make a special trip south to lose all mine in an accident in the Ohio. You're lucky. It's on your way. Just pack them in the trunk, U-haul, or whatever. There are no weigh stations or paperwork. It's your stuff, not special just because it's guns; you can have them and keep them, just get LTCH if you want to carry one.

jbell_64

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Mitchell
    Guess I'm too untrusting. When I moved from Thomasville Ga to Indiana I only left sight of my vehicle long enough to pee... UHAUL trailers don't seem to be the most secure places to keep things I don't want stolen.

Dixiejack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Madison
    Thanks Slawburger. I'll print that off. A lot of the inspection stations at state lines were looking for plants, flowers, animals w/o vaccinations, etc. U HAULS and trucks and trailers of that type were good targets to inspect especially crossing from Florida into Georgia. Now it's trucks hauling illegal Mexicans.

Dixiejack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Madison
    Dude, I will sure be in touch. We can meet at Shipley's. I got a funny story (now) about the first time I walked in that place.

Dixiejack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Madison
    Appreciate the infor and the kind words. I used to live in NW Arkansas and the last winter I was there it was one ice storm after another. Trees freezing and splitting sounded like a young war.
    I spent a lot of last winter in Madison. It was very nice weather. Didn't see much snow.

joejenders

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This is a question rather than additional suggestion about transporting your guns. How did you come to the decision to settle on The Madison area to retire? I lived in North Georgia for 17 years and loved it. I am now retired and live in Indiana and also came to like Indiana. I live in Fort Wayne and dream of living in Southern Indiana. I search realtor.com all the time looking for a better place to live around Nashville, Indiana area.

Dixiejack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Madison
    Year before last my wife spent a little over a year in Madison doing consulting work for King Daughters hospital. She lived down the hill near the Ohio River. Normally she flies home on weekend from her jobs, but after my first visit to Madison, I started flying up for weekends. We fell in love with Madison and considered it a place for me to retire to and would centralize her travel until she retires. We met a lot of fine, friendly people and made some friends. I am retiring from teaching this year and want to get the hell out of South Georgia and my wife does also. When you were born and lived practically all your life in the South, where you going to retire to? We used to enjoy going to North Georgia several time a year trout fishing, but all the good public streams have been taken over by tubers.
    All that to say, old town Madison seems like an excellent place to live and you are with in a couple of hours driving time for hunting, fishing (could be on the Ohio River in about 15 min.) Louisville, football, baseball, car and boat racing, visiting cities like Cincinnati, Indy, the Great Lakes, great backroad traveling, or just getting together with your neighbors and friends. A lot goes on in Southern Indiana. Didn't mean to sound like the C of C.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Appreciate the infor and the kind words. I used to live in NW Arkansas and the last winter I was there it was one ice storm after another. Trees freezing and splitting sounded like a young war.
    I spent a lot of last winter in Madison. It was very nice weather. Didn't see much snow.

:):

Well......we been lucky/fortunate on the winters here for a couple'a yrs,haha!(so far....this 1 as well.....hope it 'sticks') Welcome to So. Indiana! Madison's a helluva cool lil' town!:rockwoot:
    Always somethin' go'n on.....lot'a stuff/shops right in middle of town that stay busy......cruise thru there quite a bit in warm months......view of the Ohio River can't be beat......rod runs.....car shows.....Madison Regatta (hydroplanes) AND.....get'n (or GOT) a new bridge to KY side.....ride the area pretty frequently in warm months.....always a 'destination' on the bike......it's cool azz town!:yesway:

It'a really be deck'd out/shops busy with the X-mas season.....best luck on the move,gonna LIKE IT there! :cool:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Year before last my wife spent a little over a year in Madison doing consulting work for King Daughters hospital. She lived down the hill near the Ohio River. Normally she flies home on weekend from her jobs, but after my first visit to Madison, I started flying up for weekends. We fell in love with Madison and considered it a place for me to retire to and would centralize her travel until she retires. We met a lot of fine, friendly people and made some friends. I am retiring from teaching this year and want to get the hell out of South Georgia and my wife does also. When you were born and lived practically all your life in the South, where you going to retire to? We used to enjoy going to North Georgia several time a year trout fishing, but all the good public streams have been taken over by tubers.
    All that to say, old town Madison seems like an excellent place to live and you are with in a couple of hours driving time for hunting, fishing (could be on the Ohio River in about 15 min.) Louisville, football, baseball, car and boat racing, visiting cities like Cincinnati, Indy, the Great Lakes, great backroad traveling, or just getting together with your neighbors and friends. A lot goes on in Southern Indiana. Didn't mean to sound like the C of C.
    I hooked up a while back on Facebook with an old high school buddy who now lives in Madison. He is always posting photos about the activities in town. There is always a lot going on. It looks like the downtown is really thriving with a lot of little shops and neat restaurants. They just had a nice Christmas parade.

Top Bottom