• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr. Neal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I recently purchased a bushmaster ORC and have her all set up optics wise but I would like a pair of battle sights for backup purposes. As you probably know the ORC has a flat low profile gas block which makes mounting a front sight very hard. I dont want to remove the gas block. I know bushmaster made a front sight that clamped on the gas block itself but it has been discontinued. I heard it sucked anyway... what im wantin to know is if any of you gellow INGOers have any helpful ideas or maybe you have the same rifle and could let me know your setup and how it works for you. Thanks!

anifong

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Marshall County, IN
    No experience here with mounting the backup sights, but do have a rain check at Dunham's on that rifle for $800 - curious how you're liking it so far, and whether it's worth the $$.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    I've got a Bushmaster ORC. I removed the "ground down" front site gas block that came with it and installed a YHM railed gas block w/bayonet lug. YHM 9836A. Railed Gas Block With Bayonet Lug [YHM-9836A] - $84.50 : YHM, Yankee Hill Machine Co., Inc. | Makers of High Quality Firearms, Accessories & Sound Suppressors, Makers of High Quality Firearms, Accessories & Sound Suppressors

I've also installed a drop in carbine length quad rail. IF I need to install a backup site, I have the option of using a gas block mounted one OR a quad rail mounted site OR an offset mounted set of sites.

I saw that clamp on contraption that Bushmaster offered that clamps on the barrel around what's left of the front site base/gasblock and just laughed at it. About the only option you have is to replace your gas block or install a quad rail that you can mount one to. If you go the quad rail, you can use a drop in OR go free floating that extends past your current gas block and effectively hides it from view.

My ORC has been running like a champ. It'll eat steel case russian crap or full power 5.56 with no problems. I purchased an H3 buffer and put one of the tungsten weights in the carbine buffer......making it an H1 and reducing the H3 to an H2. I've been running the H1 buffer and it likes it just fine. Everything else is stock except for the quad rail and 1-4x24 scope. I run INMG with it and have no problems banging the plates at 300 yds at Wildcat.

Last edited:

CQB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    Central North Forty
    Changing a gas block isn't hard, but my preference is an extended free float tube with a top rail that covers the sight block alltogether. I prefer not to see the gas block. Definitely not the cheapest route though. My :twocents:

I know there are clamp-on rail sections that mount directly on the barrel. Most of them I've seen are intended to ride in the 3,6,and 9 o'clock position. Not sure if they make one for the 12 o'clock or not. Not sure if running one of the others at 12 o'clock would give you adequate height for a front sight or not?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom