Mounting a holster to a vehicle's console?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    I've thought about it, but that's all. I would put the holster on your side though. It could be argued (I think - not a lawler) that the passenger was in possesion of the handgun if ever stopped. If that person didn't have a LTCH then they'd be in trouble. Just a thought, don't know how that would work out but seemed worth bringing up.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I've mounted tons of holsters under dashboards. Be sure to check behind it. We had a guy mount a flashlight to his dashboard and drilled through a wire for the airbag...almost took his head off. Also make sure there is a metal back plate to drill into or in the winter a stiff jolt could shatter your dashboard. Something like this would be interesting, ZAA-106 - FAST Magnetic Automobile Holster Super Strong Magnet with Non-marring Coating but you can use any paddle holster, just remove the paddle.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You'll want something that'll keep your firearm secure in the event of an accident...

I'm pretty sure that the forces generated by even a sudden 25mph to zero crash would rip a gun away from a magnet.

-J-

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    You'll want something that'll keep your firearm secure in the event of an accident...

I'm pretty sure that the forces generated by even a sudden 25mph to zero crash would rip a gun away from a magnet.

-J-

I asked the guy at the 1500 the same thing. They have a vehicle version that includes a velcro strap that you trap under the magnet before you mount it that adds extra retention for a vehicle.

I saw one online somewhere that appeared to be a large pocket holster, and the entire back was velcro, with large velcro to mount to the vehicle, so you could take holster and all out when you exited the vehicle... No good for carry, but better than leaving an emtpy holster where it might be seen...

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I mounted the belt holster that came with my XD sc in the center consoleof my Grand Cherokee, facing down, by using a short piece of steel bar to simulate the belt, and fender washer to carry the load in the hidden area between the console insert and the outer surface. It works great, and wonder of wonders, it also fits the wifes 24/7 compact! (I never expected that) The draw isn't too bad. I'm left handed, so I cross draw to my strong hand, while holding the console lid with my right hand. (of course, this all presumes no hands on the wheel ). :D

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Thanks, I'll check out their website.:yesway:

Update: I went to Fobus' website. Their Roto System vehicle mount will work perfectly.

I will always have a Fobus roto for EVERY gun I own. They are affordable, they are decent holsters, and they can be configured many different ways.

I get mine from a seller on eBay. Usually save $10 or so. If you are interested, send me a PM. If not, shop around. Fobus can ALWAYS be had cheaper somewhere else.

Top Bottom