Mounting 1-1/2" PVC Pipe to a concrete basement wall?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    So I am installing a backup sump pump and re-doing the piping for my main and I don't like the idea of the whole weight of the piping+standing water [check valves] pulling on those connections - who knows when/if they could eventually let loose due to vibration/motion of the pump kicking on and off as well as the weight.

I've been trying to find a good way to mount the piping to the wall in a way that will keep the piping still and won't let it move towards or away from the wall as well as up or down. I can see in my mind a metal bracket with rubber lining that I would mount to the wall but I haven't seen anything like what I imagine at the store.

Additionally - I do have some masonry bits and a hammer drill so I'm not apposed to drilling small holes to actually physically mount the brackets to the wall but I've had no luck finding the brackets much less what sort of anchors I should use.

Mostly just looking for some advice/suggestions from the 'been there, done that' crowd.

Any and all help is appreciated :).

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I can't picture what you're talking about...but, Tapcon screws do a good job holding things to concrete. Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but a regular pipe strap/hanger screwed in with Tapcons should hold up a PVC pipe.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    You could also use conduit clamps. They come in all sizes. Tapcons are the way to go to mount anything to concrete. I put a dozen outlet and switch boxes on my ham shack/reloading room concrete walls with them. By the way, my sump stacks are not mounted to anything until they reach the floor joists above the sump.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I've always just bolted a piece of angle to the wall and used clamps on the part that stood off the wall. I've also just used conduit brackets and screwed them straight to the wall. The angle method just gives a bit more flexibility to the whole system. Not real critical on install, but anything down the road and it helps.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I've always just bolted a piece of angle to the wall and used clamps on the part that stood off the wall. I've also just used conduit brackets and screwed them straight to the wall. The angle method just gives a bit more flexibility to the whole system. Not real critical on install, but anything down the road and it helps.
    Can you by chance snap a picture for me? I'm very visual and will be headed to the store to get what I need.

I'll have to look into 'tapcons' I'm not familiar with them.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Can you by chance snap a picture for me? I'm very visual and will be headed to the store to get what I need.

I'll have to look into 'tapcons' I'm not familiar with them.

Buildex Tapcon®

I buy them at Lowe's. Depending on what you buy, they come with a drill bit and you just pre-drill a hole and screw it in like any other screw.

(You do need to use a hammer drill to pre-drill the holes)

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    My hammer drill is one of those ones that takes the special bits - but getting the right sized bit isn't too big a deal :).

I'll just have to find clamps that will work and the screws and I should be good to go. At least I'll feel better about it.

Also - I figure I should use the 'strong' and not the 'medium' strength cement. Any tips when priming/assembling the PVC to make sure I have a long-lasting durable seal/joint?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Use primer on the pipe and fittings. Same with glue. If you're worried about vibration, use a fernco fitting.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    It's going right up the wall next to the sump pit and out the wall just above the foundation. Nothing for me to "hang" it off of but the wall. I have two pumps, 2 checks, a "wye" and then a single pipe run up the wall. Wanting some support for the check valves and to eliminate horizontal movement when the pump engages.

pearlman1966

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    611918068244sm.jpg
    611918068183sm.jpg

All thread and nuts to lock in place

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    In the commercial trade, our plumbers use a wall plate and split rings. The wall plate is cast and you can anchor it with two tap cons. In the center, there is a threaded hole for 3/8" all thread. You can cut it to length to hold the pipe off the wall. The split rings thread on to the all thread and have a screw that tightens to lock the pipe in place. You can also get the wall plates and split rings in galvanized.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    In the commercial trade, our plumbers use a wall plate and split rings. The wall plate is cast and you can anchor it with two tap cons. In the center, there is a threaded hole for 3/8" all thread. You can cut it to length to hold the pipe off the wall. The split rings thread on to the all thread and have a screw that tightens to lock the pipe in place. You can also get the wall plates and split rings in galvanized.
    I'm looking at just having somebody install this for me so I don't have to fuss with it - not sure I'd ever really do it well enough that I would feel I didn't have to worry about it.

Just not sure who to call at this point. I would prefer to have somebody that's 'experienced' at installing this sort of thing so I'm not sure if I'd just ring up any local plumber or if I need to look for somebody that specializes... I guess I shouldn't be too discriminate considering I was willing to tryst myself [a total novice] to do it so just about any plumber should do better... That said - I'm OK with paying a bit of a premium for experience and piece of mind.

Two sumps - main, and a backup with battery, piped properly and installed in a way that I won't have to worry about it in the foreseeable future [short of pump failures, etc]. Would like to have some sort of coupling where I can remove a pump if I need to [say, it fails] so I can replace it without having to mess with PVC if possible [i.e. a fernco coupling looks ideal].

I did try to do this myself - twice - and both times I'm really not happy with the outcome and don't feel I can trust it - I think I've spent enough money trying to save myself money at this point... Live and learn.

I'm open to suggestions/recommendations.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    I'm looking at just having somebody install this for me so I don't have to fuss with it - not sure I'd ever really do it well enough that I would feel I didn't have to worry about it.

Just not sure who to call at this point. I would prefer to have somebody that's 'experienced' at installing this sort of thing so I'm not sure if I'd just ring up any local plumber or if I need to look for somebody that specializes... I guess I shouldn't be too discriminate considering I was willing to tryst myself [a total novice] to do it so just about any plumber should do better... That said - I'm OK with paying a bit of a premium for experience and piece of mind.

Two sumps - main, and a backup with battery, piped properly and installed in a way that I won't have to worry about it in the foreseeable future [short of pump failures, etc]. Would like to have some sort of coupling where I can remove a pump if I need to [say, it fails] so I can replace it without having to mess with PVC if possible [i.e. a fernco coupling looks ideal].

I did try to do this myself - twice - and both times I'm really not happy with the outcome and don't feel I can trust it - I think I've spent enough money trying to save myself money at this point... Live and learn.

I'm open to suggestions/recommendations.
    HouseSmarts TV Feature "Sump Pump and Battery Backup Install" - YouTube

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I know *how* to do it but I'm just not having any luck with it ending up not looking like it was done by an amateur. That said it seems no matter how meticulous I am one of my joints leaks.

Biggest problem is probably that I *am* an amateur so I'm going to try and find a professional that will do a much better job. I tried (twice) and failed.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom