• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Are you talking about the hook like things that go on the ends of the handlebars? If so, no. I don't know if there was a section long enough that I would want to take a finger off the brakes.
    Yes exactly, no need to take fingers off the brake when using them. They are for use on the climb.

An older friend who has been riding for 20 plus years suggested I try a set. Not sure about your area but places around her they are a must have .

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Had a really good day in Brown County today. Started off with a wrong turn but once I got back on my route I was good to go. Hobbs was a blast but really worked my finger and hands from all the braking. Glad I upgraded to Shimano 4 pistons front in rear with a 203mm rotor up front and a 180mm in the rear.

View attachment 300978 View attachment 300979

Now on a sad note, my frame is starting to crack where the seat tube meets the top tube. It is a known problem with these Polygons so that is unfortunate. I may talk with a tig welder to see what he thinks but lots of people recommend against it since the frame is heat treated.

View attachment 300980
    Did you just come up that? Or go down that?
    Either way I can't imagine.

Concerning the crack and weld, is there a danger with covering with fiberglass that you will not see the next break (just outside the weld most likely) and lead to a catastrophic break?

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Question from a never-never but interested, what is flow?
    It must be more than just coasting, but I can't imagine you check your speed like when skiing by traversing?
    In my mind flow is when the trail moves quickly and smoothly. Mostly down hill but does have some uphill. Don't have to come to almost complete stops for technical sections.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Yes exactly, no need to take fingers off the brake when using them. They are for use on the climb.

An older friend who has been riding for 20 plus years suggested I try a set. Not sure about your area but places around her they are a must have .
    I use to have them on my bike 10-15 years ago but don't anymore. My hands didn't bother me at any other point in the day. Just the long downhills when riding the brakes.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Did you just come up that? Or go down that?
    Either way I can't imagine.

Concerning the crack and weld, is there a danger with covering with fiberglass that you will not see the next break (just outside the weld most likely) and lead to a catastrophic break?
    I just went one way. I talked my wife into coming along with me so she could drop me off and pick me up at the bottom. She went shopping in Nashville while I was on the trail.

That is one of my concerns too. Need to do some more research on it. I did message someone I know who welds to get their opinion. I'd love to just buy a new frame, but not looking forward to spending $1300+

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    This is mine. It started life as a Schwinn Boundary, but it's far from what it was. It's now an 8sp freehub, with short-travel Suntour eBike fork with hydro lockout, Tektro 4-piston hydraulic brakes with 2.3mm rotors, and several other mods.

The only thing I regret is using QR axles instead of through axles, but it's a trekking bike and not built for jumps. If we ever get decent trails around here and not just fire roads, I'll probably build another bike with a stronger axle setup.

For now, this does what I want it to do.

Attachments

• IMG_20230902_175840989~2.jpg
      IMG_20230902_175840989~2.jpg
      681.7 KB · Views: 9

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I haven't seen anyone around here (or in videos from other areas) use bar ends in a couple of decades. Hook them in brush or on a tree one time and down you go.

I have a few older project bikes in my garage. Several of them came with bar ends and all of them are gone now.

I was thinking about using a pair on the canoe rack on top of my Grand Cherokee. It should make the canoe easier to load by myself.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Does anyone use the forums at https://mtbr.com ? I enjoy it there, though I'm now prohibited from going on my you-should-carry-while-biking rants because the resulting discussion tends to destroy whatever thread I post it on.

Dim Mak

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    Naptown
    I got the severe itch to ride again this summer. Been going out 2-3 times a week trying to get back in the groove. I just ride local in central Indiana and sometimes out of state (North Carolina) when I feel the need.

Attachments

• IMG_4448.jpeg
      IMG_4448.jpeg
      229.2 KB · Views: 11

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Does anyone use the forums at https://mtbr.com ? I enjoy it there, though I'm now prohibited from going on my you-should-carry-while-biking rants because the resulting discussion tends to destroy whatever thread I post it on.
    I used to read the mtbr 'Passion' threads a long long time ago. Mostly just read never posted. Silly dramas and all.

I had a Supercaliber back then. I took really good care of it and it got stolen the night I'd met my wife. Shoulda saw that omen.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I haven't seen anyone around here (or in videos from other areas) use bar ends in a couple of decades. Hook them in brush or on a tree one time and down you go.
    They're also illegal in most races, which probably cut back on the popularity.

People would get their bar-ends hooked together and down they'd go...:stretcher:

Anybody go to Versailles this weekend? Would have loved to with this beautiful weather, but the eldest was home for a visit.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    What do yous guys like to eat before and after a hard ride?

I'll eat as light as possible before. Something healthyish. Eggs and meat with little or no bread. Some fruit if I need something more. And prehydrate with water.

Snack midride is usually nuts and jerky.

After a ride I'm ravenous and (almost) anything is fair game. But usually I'm craving 3 crunchy taco bell tacos. But really any taco is a good taco!

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Chocolate milk is my recovery food...they started handing it out at the end of half marathons, and I swear nothing ever tasted better. It has everything you need.

Unless I'm in Brown County, in which case we get our chocolate milk in "solid" form from the Chocolate Moose in Nashville :yesway:

Still rely on my "flat" full-calorie mountain dew during the ride, alternated with water. If it's a long enough ride to stop and eat, Skittles are my go-to. But really anything is good enough for that "during" snack. Sometimes when I'm going 12-mile training runs, I will get a chocolate chip cookie at the 2nd break.

I have had less than optimal luck with the "honey stingers" and gel packs. I think the main thing to remember on those is, they create "water demand" in your system, meaning it takes water to metabolize them. So if you don't wash them down with a good amount of water, they will get the water they need by taking it out of your bloodstream. Which can cause a temporary little hydration crash, if you don't catch on quick enough.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    20230930_150942.jpg
    BC on a new bike today! My first full-squish and bit off a little more than I could chew. Hobbs, Shelley, Aynes, and Hez Point. Things are starting to crowd up a bit. Town was full and lots of riders.

The day was full of heard lessons:

1. Need bug repellent. I was dropping bombs left and right cussing the damn gnats and mosquitos, who it turns out can climb faster than I do. I'm sure a couple people thought I had escaped the Marion Co jail. Side note, it hurts to whack yourself in the head when wearing a helmet.

2. This was the wrong place to try out clipless on a MTB. The "clip in dammit!" conversations I was having with myself when not cursing gnats added to the mental case vibe.

3. I am getting Trailforks pro. Garmin doesn't lie, and this ride took waaay long!

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    View attachment 302628
    BC on a new bike today! My first full-squish and bit off a little more than I could chew. Hobbs, Shelley, Aynes, and Hez Point. Things are starting to crowd up a bit. Town was full and lots of riders.

The day was full of heard lessons:

1. Need bug repellent. I was dropping bombs left and right cussing the damn gnats and mosquitos, who it turns out can climb faster than I do. I'm sure a couple people thought I had escaped the Marion Co jail. Side note, it hurts to whack yourself in the head when wearing a helmet.

2. This was the wrong place to try out clipless on a MTB. The "clip in dammit!" conversations I was having with myself when not cursing gnats added to the mental case vibe.

3. I am getting Trailforks pro. Garmin doesn't lie, and this ride took waaay long!
    I have been avoiding going on the weekend because I'm worried it would be crowded. I think October in Nashville is just crazy.

After getting chiggers my first trip there at the beginning of September, I will always wear bug spray there. I've never had an issue at town run or fort Harrison.

Props to you for trying clips. I'm sticking with flats. Could never figure out clips.

How long did it take you to do that route? I did west gate, Hobbs, Shelley, green valley, north gate, pine loop last weekend and it took me 2.5 hours. Not looking forward to my first climb up hez point.

Top Bottom