• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    As an All The Gear, All The Time guy I am willing to admit that sometimes its uncomfortable to ride in hot humid weather or in stop & go traffic.

I have 3 jackets, ranging from full mesh, to leather w/closeable mesh, to full textile. 3 pairs of pants, again from mesh to heavy textile. 2 pairs of motorcycle gloves, 1 mesh, 1 insulated & waterproof. Even my riding boots and shoes are armored. All my gear is equipped with CE Level 1 or 2 armor. In most cases I upgraded the armor to CE Level 2, but some things have a mix of Level 1 and Level 2 armor due to fitment issues. Gloves have reinforced palm sliders and knuckle armor.

3 sets of armored riding gear is expensive, but the deductible from 1 accident will pretty much cover the cost of a couple top line jackets and a pair of top quality riding pants.

I’m still trying to get my dad on the all gear all the time but he is in the “I rode many tears ago without it, I’ll be fine” attitude. He at least wears a helmet (has full, 3/4, and half).

i have first gear mesh jacket and over pants plus boots, helmet and gloves. If I ever ride more then twice a month or so (I ride my dads bike), I will upgrade gear to better riding gear. Especially helmet, right now I got a cheaper modular one since I’m a rare rider.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    tv1217,

Did you have insurance that will cover the helicopter ride?

I have read riding articles that often this is a huge shocker to find out about after the fact.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I have insurance, what part of the helo ride it will cover I have not looked into
    Her insurance should cover it if she was at fault. If not then the standard practice is for your insurance company to sue her company (it will be handled automatically, you won’t be involved). At one time I owned a commercial vehicle fleet, this insurance stuff is not something that you really need to worry about.

You may want to call a billboard lawyer that specializes in auto crash liability to see if you have a case. That finger tip you lost could earn you some big bucks from her insurance policy on top of them covering you lost wages, medical and recovery bills, etc.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I’m still trying to get my dad on the all gear all the time but he is in the “I rode many tears ago without it, I’ll be fine” attitude. He at least wears a helmet (has full, 3/4, and half).

i have first gear mesh jacket and over pants plus boots, helmet and gloves. If I ever ride more then twice a month or so (I ride my dads bike), I will upgrade gear to better riding gear. Especially helmet, right now I got a cheaper modular one since I’m a rare rider.

I have a couple FirstGear jackets. They are pretty good designs but use modest materials and sometimes omit some nicer details. I did upgrade the armor in all my FirstGear stuff. If you like your gear and it’s not worn out, consider pulling the armor and inserting CE Level 2 armor; all the armor pockets are zipper or Velcro accessable. I’m very happy with my FirstGear stuff.

I have KLIM and Rev’it, both are in the premium gear category, and they use top of the line material, with top of the line design and attention to detail. Always my go-to gear when weather permits.

Helmet —> Arai for full face. No other options, they are awesome. If you want a Modular helmet then Schuberth C4Pro. For a modest modular, HJC makes a very good one with their RHPA 90 series. Shoei makes a modular that is Schuberth priced but the new model is getting a lot of complaints.

My Arai Defiant, with the pro-shield option, has been on my head for 12+ hours and day after day on trips lasting nearly a month on the road. Can’t say anything bad about it. Rolls Royce of full face helmets.

Last edited:

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Her insurance should cover it if she was at fault. If not then the standard practice is for your insurance company to sue her company (it will be handled automatically, you won’t be involved). At one time I owned a commercial vehicle fleet, this insurance stuff is not something that you really need to worry about.

You may want to call a billboard lawyer that specializes in auto crash liability to see if you have a case. That finger tip you lost could earn you some big bucks from her insurance policy on top of them covering you lost wages, medical and recovery bills, etc.

Don’t know how good they are but they advertise as a motorcycle rider lawyer, Blackburn and green. They advertise a fair fee guarantee. I work in television so I see too many of their commercials.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I

My Arai Defiant, with the pro-shield option, has been on my head for 12+ hours and day after day on trips lasting nearly a month on the road. Can’t say anything bad about it. Rolls Royce of full face helmets.

I can - $$$$$

I put on an Arai Profile and just had to have it. My wife choked when she heard the price tag.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Helmet —> Arai for full face. No other options, they are awesome. If you want a Modular helmet then Schuberth C4Pro. For a modest modular, HJC makes a very good one with their RHPA 90 series. Shoei makes a modular that is Schuberth priced but the new model is getting a lot of complaints.

I'm a Harley guy and I normally wear a Shoei Multitec thats about 10+ years old. I hate to buy a new one with it being the most comfortable helmet I have ever worn.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Helmets have a five year expiration. That is why I can no longer justify Arai.

Do Helmets Have a Shelf Life? | ANSWERS
    A: According to Shoei, its helmets should be replaced five years after the purchase date, or seven years after the production date. The production date is on a sticker inside the helmet under the padding near the ear. The date is shown in the YY/MM/DD format, so for example yours would say 08/XX/XX if it was made in the same year you bought it.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville

A: According to Shoei, its helmets should be replaced five years after the purchase date, or seven years after the production date. The production date is on a sticker inside the helmet under the padding near the ear. The date is shown in the YY/MM/DD format, so for example yours would say 08/XX/XX if it was made in the same year you bought it.

Yes Mom I know... :dunno:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I get that logic. But my wife and I ride multi-week long trips, I look at the comfort factor. Quiet without earplugs, Ventilation channels so I'm not sweating on 80+ humid days. High grade fabrics that wick away moisture and resist bacteria. Padding that doesn't create pressure points. Quite literally all day comfort. I'll pay $125-150/year for that comfort and luxury and replace it every 5 years.

I was talking to a barber about the my helmet, he rides with a $100 lid. *****es about it. Typically doesn't wear it at all. Has a do-rag to catch his sweat. Hates it.

So choose your poison. Putting on an Arai is slipping into the seats of a Bently GT. Cheap helmets are closer to riding on a wooden crate seat in a pick up that has bad suspension.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Always follow the money. :):

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I got my Bell Vortex for a steal because it was recently discontinued but in hindsight of it saving my life, money is no object.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    Heal quick,and get the Shiny side back up! Went. 40 years without a lid ,with plenty of close calls. Started wearing one full time about 5 years ago.We are all on borrowed time.

Last edited:

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Working on it. Might get out of the hospital today. Hope to be having those conversations soon that lead to replacing my bike and getting rid of these medical bills or as many as possible. Probably gonna be a while til I get to ride again. At least until the ulna and radius heal. Gonna have to modify all my left gloves from here on out. Lol

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    Holy cow tv1217! I've ridden over 40 years now and never had anything close to that. Glad you are as well as you are so soon. Take recovery slow and get a lawyer.

Top Bottom