• ...and so much more!
  • JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I'm sitting @ Westfield Powersports shivering my ass off since I got caught in a downpour right inside Tipton County line. Brrr! The downside of riding! I haven't invested into dedicated riding gear as I usually leave it in the garage but when you having work done...
    Now you have an idea of what gear you need. Plus you're making great memories together. :cool:

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Finally got everything done to my bike that I wanted to over the winter, now I just need the weather to cooperate, the waiting is miserable!

I got taller bars, better headlights, rider backrest, made a poor man's two into one exhaust, two new tires, and got some road rash from the previous owner repaired. Oh, and a friend is learning to wrap vehicles so I got a stripe.

I'm pretty stoked for this summer!!
    :postpics:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    True, HD is an apparel company that occasional makes a few bikes.
    And those bikes have been cool now for 103 years, thats a lot of tee shirts.
    Every good American should ride American, its Harley Davidson, Motus, Rocon or a American Gold Wing.

Oh my bad, Honda closed the US Marysville plant in 05,
    Maybe they should have sold discount apparel? :dunno:

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Every good American should ride American, its Harley Davidson, Motus, Rocon or a American Gold Wing.

:chillpill:

it's all just good humor. Who cares what others ride, so long as they ride.

And welcome to INGO.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers

I have a FLHRC and a BMW RT. I have had at least one of about every other Japanese brand and multiples of some brands like Honda.

Why do I own the two bikes I have? They fill a purpose: touring & sport touring with both being 44 mile daily round trip commuters much of the year. I stick with these two for now because HD and BMW are a bit unique in that parts are rarely obsoleted out and if you can actually turn a wrench, you can keep them running forever. As an example, one of my more recent bikes - a Suzuki DL1000 VStrom - had obsolete parts at only 8 years old. That is BS, throwaway-society garbage. I'm not interested in searching Ebay for NOS parts for a bike that I may ride cross-country.

Why do HD riders suffer the brunt of ribbing from non-HD riders? I have a theory... remember that first bike you owned? It was exhilarating. You were proud. You felt free! And then, you walked into a gas station to grab a soda. The old, toothless clerk noticed riding clothes. Here comes the question: "Oh?! Do you have a Harley?" You proudly and innocently answer - if it is the first time you've gotten the question - "No, I have a ___________." The immediate response from the non-riding, non-experienced clerk is a sad, "Oh... should have bought a Harley." That kills the enthusiasm and so many then feel the need to justify their decision. After you've heard the question and crestfallen response from a person who knows nothing about bikes anyway, it gets old.

So, two camps begin to emerge: those who eventually bought a HD later and those who didn't. If you bought a HD later then I applaud you if the reason was because it was the best suited machine for your purpose. If you bought it for Village Pantry cred, to only wear HD branded gear and pose as a "real biker," then that person bought a lifestyle/image - not a bike. One sees the same thing with Apple, Duluth Trading, and... BMW GS / Other Adventure Bike riders who never leave pavement. The person bought an image. Starbucks and the GS is a constant meme and I weary of memes. I like to ride.

For those that experienced that same convenient-store/stranger response and never bought a HD, then there exists a tendency to be catty about how their bike choice is "just as good or better" than HD. The ribbing begins. The ribbing is actually pretty easy since so many folks DO buy HD just to dress the pirate-part, brand every vehicle and piece of clothing with HD and do the Harley Owner Group slow-mo parades. Again you can replace HD with Adventure bikes and end up with the same costumes/branding/image-buy-in. The same thing occurs with the self-justification speeches of scooter riders and those with scooter-levels of HP/Torque: "nothing is needed beyond 500cc and 50 hp."

I love my Road King. It is a great touring bike with a classic style but with modern ABS/Fuel Injection/Electronic Ignition & Fuel Management/Cruise Control. It has huge aftermarket support and OEM parts support. I was also considering a Triumph T120 & BMW RNineT at the time. I bought the Road King in spite of and not because of the HD Rider community, branding, and HOG groups. The bike just ticked the boxes. Next bike will be a Indian FTR, BMW RNineT or Triumph Speed Twin.

Buying a bike is both parts emotional and practical in the decision making process. The ribbing can go too far since the subject is emotional for so many. I intentionally don't rib those that buy goofy-looking asian cruiseresque/chopperesque bikes that parrots HD and look like they came out of a cartoon. I love 80s standard and sport Japanese bikes. The 80s (and often later) cruiser Japanese bikes were not to my taste. I did have a 2nd Gen edit: 3rd Gen V-4 Magna but that was more like a Ducati Monster than an attempt to look like something else for the sake of parroting an image.

The most unkind group I've seen is the BMW MOA members who seem to HATE anything HD for - in my opinion - the reasons stated above. They - in turn - are most like HD image folks for their brand allegiance and elitism with so many (GS) who never leave pavement. The BMW Airhead guys - on the other hand - are fantastic.

My best friend and riding partner grew up in Oconowomoc, WI. His Dad owned a HD dealership, They were a shop race sponsor of Willie G's son. This same friend owns three HD, a BMW and is looking at a Triumph Scrambler XE for the next bike.

Ride what ya like - it is your passion, I hope. Remember it is likely the other guy's passion as well and don't crap on his/her enthusiasm.

/Rant

Last edited:
    Top Bottom