• ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Anyone running one the new LiFePO4 type batteries? Time for a new one and thinking these might be the way to go. Saves a whopping 9 lbs on my bike, too...

Discuss!

jay2981

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Im not sure what you're riding, but if weight saving is the game I'd assume you're a sport biker. If its not I'll talk with my brother. He specializes with harleys and has a shop in greenfield. I can ask him what he has heard about these.

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    If nine pounds is worth the price to you, go for it. They're drop in replacements with little downside that I can see (aside from the extra cost).

Not sure you'll notice a nine pound loss on a Busa though.

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I buy cheap lead acid AGM type batteries. I take very good care of them in the winter and they last several seasons. Eventually, vibration takes its toll and I have to replace them. I usually get 3 or 4 seasons out of a battery. That is why I have not stepped up to a gel cell or LiPo. I am too cheap to pay for the weight savings.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I buy cheap lead acid AGM type batteries. I take very good care of them in the winter and they last several seasons. Eventually, vibration takes its toll and I have to replace them. I usually get 3 or 4 seasons out of a battery. That is why I have not stepped up to a gel cell or LiPo. I am too cheap to pay for the weight savings.

You might look into a gel battery with a battery tender. I have had great luck with lifespan.

The one in my wife's 929rr is the original battery and her bike is a 2000.
    I keep them on a battery tender when not being ridden.
    When I sold my Hayabusa a few years ago it had the factory gel battery in it (2001). Again always on a battery tender, never a problem.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    I run a bikemaster truegel in my GSX-R

This is what I'm replacing.

My main interest in the LiFe are that they only drop like 10% in a year. I find either my wife or daughter will unplug the tender on me to do something in the garage and not plug it back in....

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Have you done the math on the economy though? Does the extra coin actually buy you that much more? Weight savings doesn't matter unless you're racing.

If you've got cash to burn, and just want one more goody, then go to motomummy.com and get one of the lithium batteries.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Yes, I've done the math....

The way I see it is I'm loosing a battery every riding season the way it is going now with everyone unplugging my bike as they see fit. If the extra $75 gets me even one more riding season....I break even. If it lasts as long as I am hoping it will, I'm money ahead.

With the reduced size I may even look into fitting two batteries in the stock location and switching to a 24v system. That would future proof me against some other mods as well.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County

Me too. I use a battery tender from Interstate Batteries - on all my batteries, not just my bike. The added benefit is I can use the connector for the tender hookup for additional 12V needs - like a heated vest - or GPS...

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Me too. I use a battery tender from Interstate Batteries - on all my batteries, not just my bike. The added benefit is I can use the connector for the tender hookup for additional 12V needs - like a heated vest - or GPS...

I use a battery tender on my bike. My first factory battery lasted 7 years. Cheapest thing that Harley sells.

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    The way I see it is I'm loosing a battery every riding season the way it is going now with everyone unplugging my bike as they see fit.

Well that changes everything. Forget the expensive battery. Get your coonfingering cohabitants to leave your stuff alone. Problem solved.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Well that changes everything. Forget the expensive battery. Get your coonfingering cohabitants to leave your stuff alone. Problem solved.

The $75 is worth saving a few screaming matches a year....not too many more and I'll have monthly payments to make.

Am I the only one who is flooded with 1 line jokes over this statement?

No, I decided to be nice.

Yeah, I know. I could take a :poop: and save most of the same weight.....
    The weight savings is just a factor of the LiFe batteries being much smaller, not a selling point for me.

Top Bottom