• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I did not know they stopped producing the KLR 250, oh well may as well get the 650 then.

My friend already has The 650 so I guess interchangeable parts would be a plus on an adventure ride.

Does your friend have the old style or the new style KLR 650? In 2008 they had an update and overhaul and not all the parts will swap. It was mostly cosmetic but some engine changes were made as well to make for a better ride on road.

The KLR650 is a beast and will serve you well in any adventure ride you may wish to take. I don't know a more dedicated group of riders than the KLR crowd (except the BMW riders but we won't go there). One of my customers bought a new KLR650 and rode it to Alaska came home had a service done then rode to Mexico. Awesome bikes for true adventure riders.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Just take the ABATE course and be done. If someone has to ride on a learners and doesn't want an endorsement they probably shouldn't be riding a motorcycle.

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    Does your friend have the old style or the new style KLR 650? In 2008 they had an update and overhaul and not all the parts will swap. It was mostly cosmetic but some engine changes were made as well to make for a better ride on road.

The KLR650 is a beast and will serve you well in any adventure ride you may wish to take. I don't know a more dedicated group of riders than the KLR crowd (except the BMW riders but we won't go there). One of my customers bought a new KLR650 and rode it to Alaska came home had a service done then rode to Mexico. Awesome bikes for true adventure riders.

Yeah he has a 2009,he has already done the thermobob, doohicky, and frame bolts improvements for it as well as crash bars and the like. He really loves that bike.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Kinda scary how you can go take a 25 question test and you if pass, you're able to hop on a bike any go anywhere, provided you wear a helmet, carry no passengers, and ride daylight hours only.

Unless it's changed, you could be legal to ride even if you've never even seen a bike, if you pass the 25 question test.

To get a permit, that is all true. I am glad I took the MSF riding course. It not only helped me ride a bike, but also got me to be able to drive a standard transmission car.

To the original poster, this class you signed up for will be a good thing. You will still have to take the written test to get a motorcycle license, but you will be exempt from the riding test at the BMV. I have ridden two Harley's, two Victory's, and a KLR650. The KLR was very dirt bikeish it seems (never ridden one, but it seems like I have seen).

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    To get a permit, that is all true. I am glad I took the MSF riding course. It not only helped me ride a bike, but also got me to be able to drive a standard transmission car.

To the original poster, this class you signed up for will be a good thing. You will still have to take the written test to get a motorcycle license, but you will be exempt from the riding test at the BMV. I have ridden two Harley's, two Victory's, and a KLR650. The KLR was very dirt bikeish it seems (never ridden one, but it seems like I have seen).

A friend of mine just took the ABATE class last year. If Im not mistaken, after the class, he went straight to the BMV and got his endorsement. There were no tests at the BMV. I took the class as well but already had my endorsememt.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    My brother has a KLR650. It is a go everywhere, do everything type of bike.
    You can cruise down the highway and when you run out of road you just keep going.

If I had $² I would be getting a BMW R1200GS.

Llamaguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkadelphia, AR
    If you're lucky at he ABATE course you get to watch people taking the 'standard' riding test and failing. It is considerably more difficult than the abate class, especially if all you have is a Harley or Oldwing. I took mine in almost Louisville while living in Indy because it was the first chance but it was worth it to not have to mess with the test or continuing on a permit.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Yes, it was pretty interesting when I took the dmv driving test watching the folks on larger bikes that had no ability to maneuver them. the cones are definitely the hardest, they are very close together. but there were plenty of guys (and girls) on smaller bikes than mine that could not pass either. I was on a 98 Honda VFR 800 fully dressed with my travel gear, tank bag and saddle bags and had no issue scoring a perfect, but there were lots of people there that should have been in the abate class rather than just jumping on a bike, they had no riding skills at all. Lots of people also have a problem with the U-turn portion.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    If you're lucky at he ABATE course you get to watch people taking the 'standard' riding test and failing. It is considerably more difficult than the abate class, especially if all you have is a Harley or Oldwing. I took mine in almost Louisville while living in Indy because it was the first chance but it was worth it to not have to mess with the test or continuing on a permit.

Also if you mention you did the ABATE class to your insurance provider, they will give you a discount.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I had a crotch rocket in my early 20's, just bought a Harley, and I still want to take ABATE... As I am sure I have some bad habits that could use a fixin', as well as the insurance discount never hurts.

OP, call DMV (down state) and ask your question. Those are the folks that make the rules. Worst case scenario, retake the written test and move on. It wasn't that hard anyways.

Side note, I took the DMV driving test on a ZX6, walk in the park. I also watched 3 or 4 people and that kind of clued me in a little better IMO. The course operator got frustrated with the folks on those stupid mopeds, so take it on a REAL motorcycle.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I took the ABATE course back in the early 1990's in Indy.
    It was a lot of fun.

We had small 90-125 cc or so motorcycles that were so light we had no hesitation trying anything, because we could just put our foot down and catch ourselves.
    It was a good way to really learn the dynamics of how a motorcycle acts with very little risk of injury.

I would've never tried all that stuff on the 1984 Honda V65 Magna I was riding back then.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    As stated above, the law has changed in the last few years. Not only that...The BMV is now totally in charge of the ABATE contract rather than the Dept of Education.
    We were just discussing at the ABATE Board of Director's meeting some new changes to the contract they sent us for this calendar year. One of the things we don't agree totally with is the testing at the skills site.
    It was a $10.00 fee for the test, and if you didn't pass you had a second chance. The BMV is not allowing a second chance on the same calendar day now. You will be required to come back another day and pay another $10.00. This will make it a pain to have to come back, but if we bend the rules we are in violation of the contract and they could shut the skills testing site down totally.
    There was a point brought up about the bike used for the skills test earlier that may have been confusing. You take the skills test on a bike that you rode there, but it does not have to be your bike. You have to ride it to the site, you can not trailer a bike over and take the test.
    The small 125 - 250 cc bikes that you use for the ABATE class are provided, but we do not provide your gear. You are required to bring helmet, gloves, glasses, boots, and long pants and shirt sleeves. You will find when you go thru the cones it is much easier to do in second gear rather than first so you glide thru a whole lot better.
    As stated above, you will learn by going thru the ABATE course, and get an insurance break, where you get no education or insurance break by doing the BMV skills test.

heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    As I stated before, ABATE! I told my wife and even other friends who have wanted help in finding bikes and working on them etc, that if they werent riding yet I refuse to help them with ANYTHING motorcycle related unless they take the Abate and get licensed the "right way". Wife, her brother, and prob a dozen guys I know have all taken it. Well worth the cash, esp now with NOT having to hold a permit for 30 days etc etc etc.

Even if you have some experience, it was a fun class. I had ridden for a year or two and I learned alot. Thats been 8 years ago now...

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    A bit more unsolicited advice from printcraft........ ;)

potholes.jpg

I don't know about the road in everyone else's areas but around here they are trashed.
    Early riding season will be exciting to say the least.

Watch out for rim breaking, suspension bottoming holes in the roadways.
    Also, all the blacktop that has been dug out is now pulverized and covering the roads as well.
    That crap will have you skittering around like water on a hot griddle.

BE CAREFUL!!!!

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    A bit more unsolicited advice from printcraft........ ;)

potholes.jpg

I don't know about the road in everyone else's areas but around here they are trashed.
    Early riding season will be exciting to say the least.

Watch out for rim breaking, suspension bottoming holes in the roadways.
    Also, all the blacktop that has been dug out is now pulverized and covering the roads as well.
    That crap will have you skittering around like water on a hot griddle.

BE CAREFUL!!!!

The man speaks the truth. Those holes are a killer in a car... Literal killer on a bike!

Top Bottom