• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    My learners permit is about to expire and I went to renew today but was told I'd have to wait until next month (the month it expires) to renew it and that I would also have to take the written exam again in order to get it renewed.

Does anyone know if this is correct? The website says you can renew it before it expires but if it expires then you have to take the written exam again.

From the website:

A motorcycle learner's permit is valid for one year. If your motorcycle learner's permit expires it is no longer valid and you must apply for a new permit by taking the knowledge examination and vision screening test again, and presenting your documents of identification. Passing a new skills test also may be required.

A motorcycle learner’s permit may be renewed one time for a period of one year. If you do not obtain a motorcycle endorsement before the expiration of the renewed permit, you must wait one year to reapply for a new motorcycle learner’s permit.

Source: BMV: Motorcycle Learner's Permit

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    Just get the endorsement :dunno:

I got my endorsement as soon as possible so I'm not sure about renewing your permit.

Why do you want to renew it?? Just get your "M" endorsement and be done with it!

How?

I have no bike and it expires in plus or minus 30 days, which isn't enough time to do anything and why take another written exam when I don't have to?

I got the permit with the interest of buying a relatively cheap bike and learning to ride within the year but that got financially sidetracked last year so here I sit having to renew. It is rather frustrating reading one thing that is supposed to be current information then being told something completely different.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I took the ABATE class and that counted as my riding portion of the test, after class was over we just had to take our completion cert to the license branch and take the written test to get the endorsement.

You don't have enough time to sign up and take ABATE, so I'm not sure about the process without it...I heard a rumor that IN was going to partner with ABATE and basically require it to get the endorsement, but I don't know how true that is.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Just pay and take the ABATE course and never have to worry about it again. I know the ABATE courses fill up really fast for the year. If I recall correctly, I signed up at the Outdoor Show, but that was maybe 18 years ago. That used to be the first opportunity to sign up, but I'm not sure if that's still the case.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I took the ABATE class and that counted as my riding portion of the test, after class was over we just had to take our completion cert to the license branch and take the written test to get the endorsement.

Same here. I honestly wouldn't recommend anyone get their endorsement WITHOUT taking the ABATE class. Mistakes on a bike are way less forgiving than mistakes in a car. Give yourself the tools you need to ride safe.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

You don't have enough time to sign up and take ABATE, so I'm not sure about the process without it...I heard a rumor that IN was going to partner with ABATE and basically require it to get the endorsement, but I don't know how true that is.

Does the ABATE class provide bikes? The one I took (decades ago) did.
    250cc street bikes, rinky-dink little numbers that were cramped but easy to ride around the cones.
    Basically you had to have your permit, and after the class was completed they sign it and you are off to the license branch to get your endorsement.

Do they require that you bring your own bike now? That will also make a difference.
    If you are getting a larger bike you will have trouble with the course unless you are an exceptional rider.
    I don't think I could do it on my cow I have now without trouble and I have been riding for forever.
    Also, I thought years ago you didn't even need to take a riding test, just get your mc permit, wait 6 months and you could get your endorsement.
    It must have changed?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Does the ABATE class provide bikes? The one I took (decades ago) did.
    250cc street bikes, rinky-dink little numbers that were cramped but easy to ride around the cones.
    Basically you had to have your permit, and after the class was completed they sign it and you are off to the license branch to get your endorsement.

Do they require that you bring your own bike now? That will also make a difference.
    If you are getting a larger bike you will have trouble with the course unless you are an exceptional rider.
    I don't think I could do it on my cow I have now without trouble and I have been riding for forever.
    Also, I thought years ago you didn't even need to take a riding test, just get your mc permit, wait 6 months and you could get your endorsement.
    It must have changed?

The basic class still provides bikes. Mine class had Honda Shadow 250's that were a blast to tool around the parking lot on (and relatively easy to perform the 'figure 8 in a parking space' test on), but this was 10 years ago.

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    So I looked at ABATE again and everything not next to a border is sold out, again.

I'm going to deal with the permit and take the skills test this year and do ABATE later, it's cheaper this way anyways. Of course that was always my plan.

I am also going to call the BMV Customer center Monday and ask my question to see what the answer is, because from what it says you shouldn't have to take the written test again unless the permit expires.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Holy hell...
    You do not have to do crap to renew the permit as long as it is not expired. You just pay for another one. Whoever you got at the branch is jerking you around.
    One renew should get you into the season far enough that the driving test will be available.

dmonsche

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2013
    Take the ABATE class. ABATE.ORG to sign up. Many of the Indy dates are filling up fast. Last weekend was the first chance to sign up. It's a 3 day class and they provide bikes/gear. With a recent law change you don't even need a permit. I never had one, I just took the ABATE class and went to the BMV took my written test and got the endorsement. Seriously though, the class has saved my ass many times, you get a lot of good knowledge.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    So far nobody but bigretic has even attempted to answer my original question.

"Just take ABATE" is not remotely the answer to this question.

Didn't seem all that necessary since you answered your own question in the OP.

Also, the ABATE recommendations were in response to your question of how to get your endorsement without having a bike. (As well as just being good advice for anyone new to riding.)

Not sure where your butt-hurt is coming from. :dunno:

GunGunDin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    You have to wait til your permit expires: in theory with the permit you should be riding/getting experience on the rode.

You have to take the written test to renew the permit to prove you have the basic knowlegde to stay safe on the rode.

You have to wait till your permit expires because it's a permit not a license. You are getting a permit to ride a motorcycle with the purpose of getting a M class endorsement added to you license. You can renew your license early. Your can get a permit. Your can renew a permit early because it's a temporary permit not a license.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I never took the ABATE class, just got my permit and took the test course as soon as I could.

I even started out on a 750CC super-sport.

Both are things people suggest not doing [starting out on a supersport, not taking abate] and I've been riding just fine for ~4 years now as much as I can whenever I can. I've had close calls - sure - but not because of anything I've done or not done. People turning left in front of me at an intersection because they flat out weren't looking, people coming into my lane because they either didn't look to see if the lane was clear or didn't see me in their mirrors [not riding by them by choice, on the interstate sometimes one has no choice].

At the end of the day there are a couple of really important things IMHO:
    1. Situational awareness is king and defensive driving will save your life. You cannot 'zone out' or go into tunnel vision. I am always checking my mirrors and observing my surroundings every few seconds and after a while you get used to doing it.
    2. Learn how to turn safely at speed and practice evasive maneuvering in a controlled environment. The time to learn how well your bike can evade is not at 50 MPH on a public road.

I have a TON of traffic cones because I used to do SCCA and me and my buddies would set up our own courses for learning/testing/training SCCA. Used those same cones and set up numerous scenarios as well as the actual test course used to get the endorsement and ran it hundreds upon hundreds of times. During these courses I did *almost* lay down the bike once or twice while moving at a very slow pace - I managed to have the strength to keep the bike off the ground [me straddling a 1991 super-sport weighing ~750 pounds with it leaned over 65 degrees and then muscling it back up to a standing position was not fun and I couldn't do it again without the adrenaline]. I was on an older bike that was already scuffed/a bit chewed up so it wasn't a big deal if I did put it down in a controlled environment.

Oh, I forgot.

AGATT. ALL GEAR ALL THE TIME. I don't care if you're a god of riding motorcycles - if you get unlucky and somebody hits you - you will wish you had your gear on if you didn't. I don't care if it's the middle of summer and it's 130 degrees - wear your gear or you're asking for death.

Sorry - got off on a rant. All of that said - the abate course is a good thing to take regardless. The main reason I didn't was simply due to not being able to schedule one before my learner's expired.

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    Didn't seem all that necessary since you answered your own question in the OP.

Also, the ABATE recommendations were in response to your question of how to get your endorsement without having a bike. (As well as just being good advice for anyone new to riding.)

Not sure where your butt-hurt is coming from. :dunno:

How so?

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I missed the part about you not having a bike. If you don't have a friend with one that will let you borrow it to take the road course - your only options will be to:
    1. Take ABATE.
    2. Buy a bike, take the road course.

There is option "3" which is 'borrow a friend's bike to take the test'.

If you haven't done the slalom that is in the road test yet I know I wouldn't let you use my bike to do it - too likely that you'll lay it down. Those cones are pretty tight and most bikes do not corner well at low speed :).

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom