Most important part of physical fitness (In your opinion)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    About four years I got pretty big into fitness after breaking my ankle, and of course, I mainly focus on strength based training. Because, Ooga booga me like lifting heavy circles and putting them back down. But, I do try to have a more rounded training regimen with some cardio/endurance training.

Practically I'd say strength endurance is most important, because whats being able to lift 200lbs if you can only do it for 30 seconds. Although I've been told 30 seconds is too much sometimes.

But I wanted to hear from the people who have more experience on the topic. Whats most important, and more importantly, whats more sustainable as you get older? Also I wanna hear what your guys workouts look like and if you have any tips and tricks to pass along to anyone who stumbles across this thread.
    Having played the yo-yo several times in life I would say this is what is important.

Core strength.

Flexibility.

Cardo.

None of that properly executed will damage your body. In my late twenties I picked up a Muscle Fitness magazine that had an article about weight training after 40. The article began with a general acknowledgment that if you have been a lifter to that point you have screwed up your body. You cannot ever get that back.

I love the Bosu Ball. For example reduce the weight for bicep curls and stand on the ball and do the curls. Get good at that, flip it over and put the ball side down and get good at that. Most traditional weight exercises are for specific big muscles, the show off muscles, core strength of steel will get you much farther in life and far less likely to hurt you.

There are unlimited ways to use the Basu Ball with dumbbells to get incredibly strong, flexible, and balanced.

1722293938432.jpeg

Last edited:

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    There's a whole lot to be said about gut health. Beneficial gut bacteria I'm saying. And it's different for everyone, so you can't nail it down with, "eat this not that".

I was doing pretty well with meat and vegetables - no starches, very few carbs.

So potato, rice, beans, etc were out for about a year. But I need me some hummus and other legumes these days. Good fiber and nutrition, but hella carbs.

But my gut bacteria is definitely not as it could be. It ain't terrible. Im regular and all that, but I could do better.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    There's a whole lot to be said about gut health. Beneficial gut bacteria I'm saying. And it's different for everyone, so you can't nail it down with, "eat this not that".

I was doing pretty well with meat and vegetables - no starches, very few carbs.

So potato, rice, beans, etc were out for about a year. But I need me some hummus and other legumes these days. Good fiber and nutrition, but hella carbs.

But my gut bacteria is definitely not as it could be. It ain't terrible. Im regular and all that, but I could do better.
    anytime you go on antibiotics, that is especially true, according to my wife. It kills off all sorts of bacteria in the gut and it needs to be reset.

XDdreams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I sold my squat rack last year and the majority of my barbells and plates, I've always lifted in the the typical fashion. I've done crossfit, etc as well. And in typical fashion I've been plauged with injury and pain for as long as I can remember.

My focus now is on how does my body feel and move once I'm done and how will it feel for tomorrow's exercise? What can I do to feel better and ready for harder effort (mobility work is the answer and cycling hard effort and easier effort). Typically I go for 2 to 3 "hard" efforts per week with the rest of the days being focused on more endurance and recovery.

I exercise 7 days a week for minimum two hours per day... But intensity and the exercises change. Can split up the times as needed, one hour in the am, one hour in the pm, etc.

My typical breakdown is:

Mon- 30-60 minute HARD cardio/strength endurance (heart rate 175 bpm-190 bpm or zone 5) ** This includes body weight movements, kettlebell and dumbbell movements PLUS using a cardio machine like a echo bike,ski erg, rower, running or stairs.
    (Example my workout yesterday was
    10-20-30-40-50-40-30-20-10 calories on ski erg, rower and echo bike paired with burpees) My heart rate was mid to high 170's the entire effort.
    Plus 60 minutes of mobility (no focus on zone)

Tues- Steady state cardio (endurance)
    120 minutes of zone 2 (128 bpm -135 bpm)

Wed- 60 minutes jiu jitsu/animal body weight movements. Plus 60 minutes of core stability, pull-ups, BW dips, BW squat and lunge variations, etc. (High zone 2)

Thur- 60 minutes muay Thai or boxing. Plus 60 minutes core stability work. (Zone 3- low zone 4)

Friday- 30-60 minutes of hard cardio/strength endurance (zone 5).
    Plus 60 minutes mobility (no zone focus)

Sat- 120 minutes of steady state zone 2 (128-135bpm).

Sunday- 60 minutes of core stability.
    60 minutes of jiu jitsu/animal/boxing/muay Thai.

The hardest thing for me has always been mobility and recovery. The more I neglected them the more injured and in pain I have found myself. It has become a non negotiable in my life now and even though I'm damn near 40, my body moves and feels like I did in my 20's. Happy to discuss further, hit me with a PM.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Balance. If you're focusing on one aspect of fitness, you aren't really that fit.

Eat better!
    Stay active as much as possible in daily life
    Stretching/flexibility/mobility
    Cardio
    Stamina
    Endurance
    Strength

Use your body, don't abuse it. If you don't have flexibility, you aren't lifting right. Any movement is better than sitting around all day.

I've been doing crossfit (badly) for 2 yrs now and one of the biggest things that's helped is stretching hamstrings daily outside the gym to improve range of motion so I can lift correctly.

Reactions: Leo

Latewatch

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Henryville, IN
    Over 60 and my main focuses these days are core strength, flexibility, and no injuries. I don't use free weights anymore. I typically do some machines, some body weight, and some resistance bands and then do quite a bit of yoga based stretching with the main emphasis on hip flexors and hamstrings.

Top Bottom