• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Let me know when you're going to be wringing yours out!

If there's room for another rifle / shooter - I'd like to bust out my 10/22, too.

I have another half-dozen brands of ammo, too.

-J-

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Sorry to be the one to tell you OP, but you will always have a few flyers with any 10/22...custom or stock. Checkout the equiment list of last years ARA Nationals. http://archive.americanrimfire.com/2011/Outdoor/Ntl-Tourn-Equip.html ARA is one of the most difficult .22 Benchrest disciplines. They shoot this target at 50 yards. http://archive.americanrimfire.com/2011/Outdoor/Ntl-Tourn-Equip.html The 100 ring measures .490 , and very, very few guys that shoot ARA have ever shoot a perfect 25 shot target. If you look close at the equipment list there was only one guy shooting a stock action and barrel, a Shul, and he finshed 113 out of 116 shooters. And there was no 10/22, CZ's, Savages there either. My 10/22 likes Wolf the best...but i always expect a few flyers.
    I know there will be flyers because of the gun. but I want to rule out flyers from amoo and inconsistent ammo.
    Hey V8 where are you going to test this ammo? If at MCFG lmk as I'd like to see some of the results and test some of my own rifles.

Let me know when you're going to be wringing yours out!

If there's room for another rifle / shooter - I'd like to bust out my 10/22, too.

I have another half-dozen brands of ammo, too.

-J-

I'm more than likely going to be driving to a range in Nashville, possibly Memorial Day Weekend sometime to test these out.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Seasoned barrel

Don't forget how important seasoning the bore with a rimfire, that is something that gets overlooked and can affect the group,

After you get to know your barrel you can watch the group walk into its "home"
    Largely overlooked. After a good spirited discussion about cleaning .22 barrels I cleaned the barrel of my 77/22. Required ten five shot groups to get back to the group sizes achieved prior to cleaning. Have also had pretty good luck weighing .22 cartridges. (electronic scale and too much time on my hands). The .22s seem to shoot well in the middle of the dispersion. The extreme ends (light and heavy) not so much.

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    if you dont get the results you are looking for with the ammo you bought, pm me. i've got eley 10x, match,club,and sport, lapua master l, rws r 50, wolf mach target, and cci blazer (amazing accuracy for the price). also a quality rest is important for shooting groups and bench targets. can help you there too. we shoot 25 and 50 yds with 10-22s and a suhl with pretty good results, and we dont have to leave the property to do it.....daryll

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'm more than likely going to be driving to a range in Nashville, possibly Memorial Day Weekend sometime to test these out.

Well... I just submitted a $280 order with Midway USA. ALL of it is 10/22 goodies & upgrades. And each of them, by themselves, are pretty basic. Only one is purely cosmetic (charging handle)

Bad news is that estimated delivery date is 5/29. *sigh*

I can still rock the stock 10/22, though, if it works out!

-J-

doctrpt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Cope, IN
    CCI Mini-mags, 40 gr. work well for me, as well as the 36 gr. hollow points. Very consistent. I have been very happy with them.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    CCI Mini-mags, 40 gr. work well for me, as well as the 36 gr. hollow points. Very consistent. I have been very happy with them.
    ^ the same here. CCI's seem to be very consistent in most of the .22's I have shot.

One .22 I shot preferred the cheap Winchester Wildcat bulk stuff, go figure.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    For most of my shooting I run CCI or Federal, but if I am wanting serious accuracy I like to shoot the Remington Eley in standard velocity.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I've been reading a lot on the RFC forums also.
    Heard many good things about Wolf Match and Wolf Match Extra, CCI SV, AutoMatch, Aquila (all of them), Eley, Green Tag... Most of the Match ammos seem to be good.

Right now waiting on my build to get finished I've got
    Wolf Match - 100rds.
    Remington Target - 100rds.
    Federal Gold Medal Match - 100rds.

Always looking for more types when I've got a few extra pennies to add to the "testing group" to see what my rifle will like. Seems like you could have 5 10/22s all with the same match barrels, and they could each group best with a different ammo type...

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    i tried to find accurate long range ammo with the 22mag but since everything is supersonic it was kind of a lost cause
    Bite the bullet and cough up the dough for some RWS WMR. It'll spoil you. It's almost centerfire pricey though.

As previously stated, .22 rifles are a law unto themselves when it comes to accuracy and ammo brand. RWS Subsonic h/p's have done really well in some of mine in the past. These days I've gone to SK/Wolf as relatively consistent that I can afford. I also ran across 3 bricks of Lapua Super Club a yr or so ago that does very well. I just can't justify the $ for the high dollar tennex or midas. I've been hollowpointing the Super Club today while waiting to unload. I use it in my squirrel rifles.:yesway:

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    The single most accurate from my Anschutz rifle is the CCI SGB flatpoint. It even beats the dedicated target ammo on a good day.

Last edited:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Should be fun this saturday... here is what I rounded up.

7245251202_73ca792294_b.jpg

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I wasn't going to, but I can certainly take it with and record it all.

i think you (and i) will be happy you did. i dont know how far you plan to push the envolope with your 22 but im out to 400 yds and wolf is not cutting it. im having 1moa of wind and 2 feet of elevation in the groups.

and mabye ive taken the 22 as far as its doing to go with any hope of consistancy but im hoping to get 3 moa groups at 500 one day.

atleast thats my goal, if i obtain it my goal will be 2moa or 3 moa at 600. its a never ending process

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    i think you (and i) will be happy you did. i dont know how far you plan to push the envolope with your 22 but im out to 400 yds and wolf is not cutting it. im having 1moa of wind and 2 feet of elevation in the groups.

and mabye ive taken the 22 as far as its doing to go with any hope of consistancy but im hoping to get 3 moa groups at 500 one day.

atleast thats my goal, if i obtain it my goal will be 2moa or 3 moa at 600. its a never ending process

:wow:

I'm thinking like 50 - 100yds at the most. I'll take my Chrono though and mark it all down. I might push it further if I had a bolt action .22 but with a 10/22 I'm just going for consistent groups at closer range.

Top Bottom