• ...and so much more!
  • OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    All you rimfire shooters that actually group your ammo. What have you had the best luck with in terms of most consistent and most accurate ammo for a .22 lr?

I've been looking at some of the Aguila and the Lapua offerings. but I'm curious what you use and how well it performs. Do you get any "flyers" ever?

I'm planning to use this in a semi-auto (10/22) rifle. So that's why I put it in the Long Guns section. I'm not really interested in pistol performance.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I use bolt guns so I'm not certain about performance in a 10/22 but I like CCI SV and Federal Auto Match bulk from Walmart. I have tried more expensive ammo but these seem to work well for my CZs.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I'm curious about group sizes at 25 - 50 yards.

Can you stack them in the same hole with your CZ using the Federal AutoMatch?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I'm curious about group sizes at 25 - 50 yards.

Can you stack them in the same hole with your CZ using the Federal AutoMatch?

If I do my part and don't get the one mystery flier I can. For some reason I frequently get one flier out of 5 shots. Very frustrating!! The Auto Match is around $14-15/325 I believe.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    If I do my part and don't get the one mystery flier I can. For some reason I frequently get one flier out of 5 shots. Very frustrating!! The Auto Match is around $14-15/325 I believe.

Yeah, I'm trying to avoid flyers too. That's why I was looking at some of the Lapua stuff.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I did some work with a built 10/22 built and an Anschutz 1903 all at 50 yds from the bench and I was looking for group size and particually Flyers. I did the common winchester target, remington target and cci standard (several years ago) and the then new federal gold medal and gold medal match (dont' think its made anymore) Targets were standard A17 with 5 10 shot groups with each gun being shot 10 rounds not on paper between ammo to "season" the bore to the new ammo.

the winchester, remington, and CCI ammo gave decent round groups but flyers were common but not out of the radias that you would call a group. .5 inch or so.

The gold medal was about the same but the gold medal match was in the 3/8 with a flyer of about 1 in 20 rounds that would make a 1/2 group.

I did alot of testing with eley rifle match, eley practice and tennex

Groups with the Eley were not even in the same class as the other ammo
    typical groups with the 10/22 were .150 and about .100 with the Anschutz, (all sandbaged and with 30x scopes)

What I found out was that the Eley practice in general would group the same as the Target rifle with about 1 flyer out of every 30 shots and no surprise that the tennex shot pretty consistant .080 groups while the target rifle stayed around .1

the 10/22 was a shooter and just about outpaced the anschutz but the 10/22 did have the single best group of .053

That was an expensive day, and at today's prices not even feasable. But that type shooting really doens' mean much were talking sandbagged in and really just a person there to touch the trigger.

What are you trying to do because you dont' need to buy tennex if your shooting plates,

match your ammo to your cause

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Thanks for the Info X10... and I've been reading over at Rimfire central too :yesway:

I'm just curious about ammo with the least amount of flyers really. Accuracy needs to be there too, but realistically 1" at 50 yards would still be fine.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Different guns like different ammo. I recently picked up a new marlin bolt action 22. After running everything that I could get my hands on locally, I settled on Aguila Super Extra hollow points. I tried the super hot Aguilas, along with the solids and Subsonics in the SE line. I also tried Fed bulk in solids and hollow points, CCI mini mags, and Velocitor. In the remington line I tried their golden bullets, and the standard velocity target ammo. I even found a box of Eley Sport, and gave it a shot, just to see where it compared.

The absolute WORST group with that rifle was the Eley Sport. At 25 yards it patterned more like a shotgun (groups anywhere from 1/2" up to 5") . The best bulk ammo in it is the Fed LRN stuff, averages around 3/8" groups @25 yards, with the ocasional flyer. The aguila that I settled on shoots around 1/2" @ 50 yards in my rifle, with the very occasional flyer (maybe 3 out of a box of 50) straying 3/8" or so from the group.

Get as many different types of ammo as you can get your hands on in small quantities, and give each box a run through your rifle. Strange as it may sound, my older Marlin 75C is perfectly content shooting the Rem Golden Bullets, dirty as they might be.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    My formerly owned CZ-452 LOVED American Eagle...

That's a different ballgame than a 10/22, however.

I know that you know this - but what works for someone else's gun might not work well in your gun. 22s are weird like that. You're probably going to have to spring for a few hundred rounds of multiple brands / grades to determine what to really invest in.

-J-

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    At 25 yards I once drew " I <3 U " on a target with CCI Stingers using my Savage .22 for my Ex and it was perfect. I don't think you can go wrong with Stingers or CCI mini mags.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Stay tuned... I just ordered 11 diffent kinds of .22 ammo to test. I'm also going to use CCI Standard Velociy and Federal Bulk pack as base line groups.

I'll also be testing the following.

Aguila Match
    Aguila Target
    Eley Match
    Eley Target
    Federal Premium Gold Medal
    Fiocchi Exacta Rifle Super Match
    Lapua Center-X
    Remington Target
    RWS Match
    SK Rifle Match
    Wolf Match Extra

I'm gonna use two different 10-22's also. One is mostly stock and the other only has the stock receiver with everything else being replaced.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Don't forget how important seasoning the bore with a rimfire, that is something that gets overlooked and can affect the group,

After you get to know your barrel you can watch the group walk into its "home"

jackadew

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Washington Co.
    Sorry to be the one to tell you OP, but you will always have a few flyers with any 10/22...custom or stock. Checkout the equiment list of last years ARA Nationals. http://archive.americanrimfire.com/2011/Outdoor/Ntl-Tourn-Equip.html ARA is one of the most difficult .22 Benchrest disciplines. They shoot this target at 50 yards. http://archive.americanrimfire.com/2011/Outdoor/Ntl-Tourn-Equip.html The 100 ring measures .490 , and very, very few guys that shoot ARA have ever shoot a perfect 25 shot target. If you look close at the equipment list there was only one guy shooting a stock action and barrel, a Shul, and he finshed 113 out of 116 shooters. And there was no 10/22, CZ's, Savages there either. My 10/22 likes Wolf the best...but i always expect a few flyers.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Hey V8 where are you going to test this ammo? If at MCFG lmk as I'd like to see some of the results and test some of my own rifles.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    ill let you know when i find one im satisfied with. wolf match is showing to be pretty inconsistant at longer ranges. i still have to chrono it but im pretty sure it has to much deviation.

Top Bottom