mossberg500 vs remington 870 which is better?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • which is the better shotgun?

• Total voters

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I've owned and shot 2 Mossbergs, about 10 Remingtons, 5 Ithicas, 10 H & R, 5 NEF, 1 Browning. Handled and shot 10 times that many I never owned.

It's got nothing to do with convincing myself I bought the right shotgun since I already own one, it's got to do with the fact Remington shotguns are way better shotguns than Mossbergs. You never hear a Remington owner trying to convince you his Remington is just as good as a Mossberg.

I wouldn't have another Mossberg shotgun if they were giving them away. 5 feet of 4x4 post would be more comfortable to carry hunting and you could make a better trigger group out of baling wire and nails than mossbergs have. I've never seen as many turkeys missed by every other make of shotgun all added together as I've seen missed with Mossberg shotguns. They just as often as not shoot left or right of the point of aim. What I've expirienced is people who buy cheap shotguns don't "waste" money checking where it shoots until they've missed a couple "can't possibly miss" turkeys.

Take it how ya like, buy what ever ya want, if you can convince yourself that's all that matters. Don't waste your breath trying to convince me, been there, done that, seen it a hundred times.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    It's got nothing to do with convincing myself I bought the right shotgun since I already own one, it's got to do with the fact Remington shotguns are way better shotguns than Mossbergs. You never hear a Remington owner trying to convince you his Remington is just as good as a Mossberg.

There's the answer! :yesway:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    You never hear a Remington owner trying to convince you his Remington is just as good as a Mossberg.
    He is right. I must say I am at 31 years of owning and shooting 870's myself, but he is right.

This made me think, Since 1978 I have spent more time telling people why they should never own an Ithaca then any other pump gun and should always have twin actions bars. Non issue today, all have 2 action bars now.

For pumps it was Always Winchester 12's vs. 870's. That was the debate and for me it was 870 over the 12. The other issue was do you need the new 3" chamber? Then and now for me the answer is no. Then when the economy tanked in 70's it killed Winchester's way of doing business and the 12 along with it, Remington adapted and Mossberg just kept on being Mossberg while all the no name guns in Sears and other dept. stores went away. It also hepled Mossberg to win a Mil contract while competition was choking, like Ithaca and others. Winchester added new guns but if you ever handled a 12 it was hard to accepet the new models. Just like it was hard to like any V-8 engine made after 1972.

The best value today is a used 1970's Wingmaster. It is all I buy. You can clean up an Express action and chamber by hand and if you want dirt cheap Mossberg wins. It just does not hanlde on wingshots like a Remington.

If all you are going to shoot is static targets and Humans (almost as slow and much bigger!) then either is fine. The best made cheapo gun today is the Benelli Nova. I have yet to handle Remingtons new ripoff of the Nova.

lowriderjim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Huntington
    This hass been an interesting thread to follow. It has been excuted without many obvious flames. It appears that most people prefer the shotgun that they possess.

I like the 870 mostly because that is what I have and it works for me for the intended purpose which is a house gun. I won't say anything bad about a Mossburg because I have never handled one. I do hve to comment that my son has a Benelli Nova and it is a sweet weapon for the price.

Finally, the availability of tactical parts for an 870 keeps me in that arena.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    the Mossy when you have a pistol grip on them compared to the Remi's.
    That is exactly why I don't own Mossbergs. Safety with a PG and full stock is unuseable. I never use PG only but with any PG set up the Mossberg safety is a dog.

When hunting I also prefer the 870 safety. I want my hand on the stock and let my trigger finger do the work. I made that decision before I ever considered PG stocks of any kind.

Small issues, but this is what makes the shotgun such a personal choice. Total head game when the gun does not fit or work right for the individual shooter.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    There's a reason the U.S. military used Mossbergs for YEARS!

Still uses the 590A1, at least the Marines and special forces do. Honestly I have heard so many people say that Mossberg's have to much wobble in the forend. Maybe they do, but they in no way hurt reliability or function. The safety is in a better location for a straight stock. Remington's safties are in a better location for a pistol grip stock. You can get mag extensions, forends with built in lights, barrels, stocks, etc etc etc for the Mossberg's. Not to mention Mossberg barrels are cheaper.

mudwater

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Wells County
    Kmart Mossberg

I bought my Mossberg just because it was cheaper. Actually bought it at Kmart when they sold guns. No doubt the rem is better. "You get what you pay for" in a competitive market anyway.

GunInfected1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thanks gang for sharing your thoughts. I'm currently researching this matter myself. I haven't shot trap since I was a kid, but would like to get back into it. I'd like to be able to mod it for both Sport and Home Defense and this has been some nice feedback.

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Goose hunting this winter I used my 870 to break ice to get across some small ponds, and happened to drop it in the water and mud. It soon froze up. After launching a 3.5" shell out of it the ice layer broke on it and it worked perfectly. I didn't clean it until after the season and hunted almost every other day. If a gun can do that for me, I won't go to another one!

redneck919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    southside
    Thanks gang for sharing your thoughts. I'm currently researching this matter myself. I haven't shot trap since I was a kid, but would like to get back into it. I'd like to be able to mod it for both Sport and Home Defense and this has been some nice feedback.

i took my mossy500 that i turned into my HD gun out to shoot some clays the other day.i was very surpised how accurate i was with it.i was breaking more clays with my 500 with the 18.5 inch barrel than all my other shotguns.anyway i was impressed by that..

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I have had both. I like the solid feel of the 870 but for me the slide release and safety on the 500 is in a better position. Both are great, reliable guns but I would probably lean towards the 870 if I were to buy another shotty.

Buckhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shelby Co
    I have owned quite a few of each and there's no way I could tell you which one is better. I think they are both about equal when it come to quality. It pretty much comes down to where do you like the safety.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My brothers both have 870's and they take very good care of them.
    But last time I loaned my 500 out to one, they both shot it and kept remarking about how much smoother the action was in my 500.

They both have the Wingmasters, and maybe they overclean the action. I dunno.

outlaw2842

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    My brothers both have 870's and they take very good care of them.
    But last time I loaned my 500 out to one, they both shot it and kept remarking about how much smoother the action was in my 500.

They both have the Wingmasters, and maybe they overclean the action. I dunno.
    ive noticed this as well.the actions on the mossbergs feeling alot looser than the 870.but then you could remingtons are build better.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom