mossberg500 vs remington 870 which is better?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • which is the better shotgun?

• Total voters

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    I have had a Mossberg 12g combo for years. Had to let her go due to shoulder surgery. Now I have a Mossberg 20g as does my son. I too like the location of the safety. Love the ease of teardown to clean. These shotguns never fail and the little rattle on the forearm is not an issue. Even with this little rattle, I managed to harvest over 15 deer with my 12 gauge and countless squirel and rabbits. Nothing against an 870, just prefer a Mossberg.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    My money says the Mossberg 500 , nothing against the Remingtons though .

I'm a function over form guy I don't care how nice it is . I want to be able to treat like an AK and expect it to work , and it does .

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    I think you have to step up to a Mossberg 835 to even begin to get close to the 870. Thats my opinion and I voted 870. Sorry just relized the 835 wasnt an option.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    bid

There's a reason the U.S. military used Mossbergs for YEARS!
    The military offers contracts very oftern based on the lowest bid price, not the highest qualtiy. Often they will comprominse between quality and price, so the Mossberg having the recent military contract for shotguns does not endorse Mossberg as the highest quality.

Terry

redneck919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    southside
    The military offers contracts very oftern based on the lowest bid price, not the highest qualtiy. Often they will comprominse between quality and price, so the Mossberg having the recent military contract for shotguns does not endorse Mossberg as the highest quality.

Terry

i was thinking the same exact thing:yesway:

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast

Terry
    Their contract was most likely based on the Mossberg 500/590 Mariner - aleast for the Marines. This shotgun was built to withstand the corrosive sea salt aboard navel vessals.
    Check me if I am wrong as my memory does fail me at times, but didn't Mossberg come out with the synthetic stocks and pistol grips first? If so, This may have also been apart of the decision to go with Mossberg for the military.

As for the lowest price -I personally don't think that the cost had much to do with it. After all - How much did that hammer cost the government? Was it $100? or was it $200? no maybe more?

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I chose 870 between the two. But just wanted to say that when I was looking for my last shotgun it was close between the 870 and the 500. I think Remington has gone down in quality in the last few years and Mossberg has gotten better quality in the last 10 years. So they are pretty close now, but the Remington still has the edge. By the way I ended up getting a Benelli :dunno:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I chose the 870 over the Mossy because it felt more solid, and I liked the matte finish over the gloss. I have shot both and would trust my life to either, I just proffer the 870. I don't care about safety location on a pump gun as I never chamber a round until I'm ready to fire.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom