• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WWalker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    Just received my copy of Gun Tests yesterday, they had an article on .410 shells for self-defense and another one on .410 handguns and long guns. Pretty interesting reading, it got me thinking about the .410 cruiser they tested and maybe buying one. I don't think I would want or handle the 12 ga. version, maybe the 20 ga. The articles make it sound like the cruiser in .410 with the right load would make for a good option for home defense or to carry in your vehicle. Anybody have one or any thoughts on this??

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    Bought a used Moss 500 with a pistol grip in .410 and love it. Did put a full stock on it for hunting season, but still pretty controllable with the pistol grip. #1 problem with it is there isn't enough barrel past the tube to put a bolt-on rail section for a light and there isn't a large amount of after-market support for .410's.

000 buck isn't something to sneeze at, regardless how many are in a load.

mtb1981

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2012
    .410 is a big round for a pistol in my opinion. Good if you want to play the bigger is better game, but I'd prefer a smaller round. You can reload them though.

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    By what legalistic logic route do .410 pistols/handguns evade designation as a short-barrelled shotgun?

Lack of shoulder-fire capability without a buttstock?

A thread on here, buried somewhere way in the back, said it was about intent of the receiver. If the virgin (new) receiver was never intended to have a shoulder mount stock attached, then it is a handgun and can be barreled as such.

^--- Thusly we have Serbu Super Shorty's and the like.

Judge / Governer / various derringers get through by being a .45colt pistol that happens to chamber .410shells as well.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Watch out for the old mossburg 500's as they have the one slide bar on the pump.
    They are known to kind of kink there one that single arm. We had one in a tractor/truck and combine for years, Pistol grip 410. #4's for little game and the old 3 slug load. Now they got better stuff than that. It was an anything you saw gun. Good for protection also. First time I had ever used a single point sling.

I will admit other than the kink that I fixed twice it was one tough little shotgun and looked new after 10 years of hard work. it did rattle a bit......mossburg......

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I just bought the Mossburg JIC cruizer in a 12ga. Going to use it as a bedroom gun. I haven't shot it yet, Looks great and is easy to put together and take apart. Hope I Like it. More info to come!

Top Bottom