• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    For me it's a "whatever floats your boat" scenario.

Both are tried and true tools. Both have large aftermarket followings. Both have their plusses and minuses.

Plastic parts vs. metal parts? Polymer engineering is an AMAZING field. We're talking about polymer construction that is actually stronger than some metals in some applications. Now, I'm not saying that the trigger guard on a Mossberg 500 is "stronger" than the metal guard of the 870; but I'd almost put money that the forces needed to break the plastic would also cause some damage to the metal.

Aluminum receiver vs. steel? Big deal...the important areas of the mossy are steel, too. Why not use Aluminum to both save weight AND cost?

And, like Glock has secured a boat load of side arm contracts, how much of the 870's popularity with police has been due to marketing and bulk pricing? Before it was the 870, there were loads of Ithaca 37's out there... And before that, it was Winchester 1897s... And who knows what it will be 'next'.

If I could have found a used Mossberg 500/590 in as good condition as the used 870 I found, I'd have bought it. As it was, everything I saw (And I shopped for a while, many different stores), I didn't want to pay XXX for the Mossy, but was willing to pay XXX for the Remington.

-J-

Plastic vs. Steel? We all know which is a harder material, and heavier. But either way, both have been incorporated for use. Like XD's and Glocks, the best parts are metal, all the others are polymer.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    Most LEA's seem to only see Remington when it comes to pump guns.

If the Mossy's were such POS's then why did the Army contract with them for pump guns? I personally prefer the Mossy over the remington, it to me is a better ergonomic gun. But the rem is a solid peice in it's own right. Now if you want to step up get an Bennelli M4, WOW that is a fine peice!

Well, you forget I am a Marine. And in Iraq, I saw both Rems and Mossys... I only got to carry an M16 w/ a 203G, but that was enough for me. I don't care what the Army did, they hardly use them anyway. And yeah, the Remington is a solid piece, but I do like the sleeks of the Mossys.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Love my mossberg 835. Bought an 870 last year because I didn't have one and it was a good price. Have run thousands of rounds of all different types (game loads-turkey-goose-slugs) through the mossberg with no double feeds or any of those other problems. Have had it for 13 years; shot a little trap, sporting clays, and quite a bit of skeet with it. I am glad I bought the 870 as well, but if I'm headed out to shoot a shotgun, 9 times out of 10, it'll be the mossberg that I pick up. Though if I had the 870 for 10 years and the mossberg for one, who knows? I might be more comfortable with the 870.

Remington1100

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Franklin
    i have always shot Remingtons and have never had a single problem out of them except for the fact that they kill everything i shoot at. My dad has some pretty harsh words to say about Mossbergs but i have never shot one so i couldn't tell you about their problems, but either way you go in sure you will be happy

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    The 7 shot only works on 18" and the 10/8 shot works on 20" or larger I believe. Tac Star and ATI make them. I have been looking at TacStar accessories too... Great looking stuff.

i run an extended tube on my remmy that takes my capacity to 18+1. NEVER have had a problem with the 18" bbl. i suppose you could make an extension that goes too far, but you'd run out of reliability before you got too long. btw, we didn't get 19+1 to run reliably with the springs we had available at the time.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    I have owned a couple of Mossberg's in my time.
    They shot fine for the most part however the action was somewhat flimsy. I have witnessed and experienced the actions blowing open on Mossy pump guns when shooting slugs.
    Another issue I seen with the Mossy guns is that the tube magazine spring was very weak, even when new.

Overall the Mossberg is a good shotgun I think. The 870 in my opinion though is a tougher shotgun and is built like a tank.

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have owned a couple of Mossberg's in my time.
    They shot fine for the most part however the action was somewhat flimsy. I have witnessed and experienced the actions blowing open on Mossy pump guns when shooting slugs.
    Another issue I seen with the Mossy guns is that the tube magazine spring was very weak, even when new.

Overall the Mossberg is a good shotgun I think. The 870 in my opinion though is a tougher shotgun and is built like a tank.

Sporter,

Are you sure that the action "blew open" while firing slugs or were you (the operator) jerking back with the recoil & inadvertantly working the action open in the process?

I mean because if the action "blew open" because the locking bolt broke you'd probably had eaten a bolt assembly sandwich.

tackleberry65

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    speedway
    Why not a 20" with the mag extender?

Or just get a Persuader. It's what I carried in the Navy. Personally, I think the reliability is equal on either, just the 870 has better fit and finish. Dead burglars will never know the difference. ;)

BTW, have you ever shot a pistol-grip 12 ga? I agree that they look cool, but I'm 6', 275# and find them uncomfortable and slow on follow-up shots. Just my $.02.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Sporter,

Are you sure that the action "blew open" while firing slugs or were you (the operator) jerking back with the recoil & inadvertantly working the action open in the process?

I mean because if the action "blew open" because the locking bolt broke you'd probably had eaten a bolt assembly sandwich.

Sure enough. Sorry if you don't like my experience, but that's what happened.

Never had the issue with any (mine or others) 870 I have shot slugs out of.

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sure enough. Sorry if you don't like my experience, but that's what happened.

Never had the issue with any (mine or others) 870 I have shot slugs out of.

Sporter,

It's not a matter of me liking or disliking your recounting of your experience, it's about trying to make sense out of something you said that made no sense.

I've personally inadventantly racked the slide during recoil while shooting heavy stuff before - but that was operator caused and not failure of the shotguns breech.

That's how come I knew that you had no idea of what it was you were talking about. :D

Apokalypsi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Speedway
    And LOL yea I remember you mentioning that stock bolt problem, I cant recall which brand of aftermarket stock was the problem though.
    That must have been someone else because this is the first time I mentioned it on here. Anyway, I can't remember which one exactly, but it was one of the following three; Hogue pistol grip, stock Maverick stock, or 835 thumbhole stock. I honestly can't remember though.

Besides Richard, WE know which brand is better. :D

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That must have been someone else because this is the first time I mentioned it on here. Anyway, I can't remember which one exactly, but it was one of the following three; Hogue pistol grip, stock Maverick stock, or 835 thumbhole stock. I honestly can't remember though.

Besides Richard, WE know which brand is better. :D

Ahh well I don't think one is necessarily better than the other, just different is all.

My main concern is that educational threads like this are devoid of as much misinformation as possible, I am not saying the misinformation is intentional, I am just saying we should try to be as clear & concise as possible simply because there are so much bad information on boards like this that the people who tout their experience with something as "heard it on an online forum" have really become a joke of sorts.

And sorry man I thought your shotgun was the one that had the pistol grip originally & when you swapped it out for a standard stock the bolt was to long causing a clearence issue with part of the tang safety mechanism.

Wonder who's shotgun that was now ...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    Or just get a Persuader. It's what I carried in the Navy. Personally, I think the reliability is equal on either, just the 870 has better fit and finish. Dead burglars will never know the difference. ;)

BTW, have you ever shot a pistol-grip 12 ga? I agree that they look cool, but I'm 6', 275# and find them uncomfortable and slow on follow-up shots. Just my $.02.

Yeah, I am a little bit smaller than you, I am 5'8'' and 210, but I am also a personal fit nut (I work out 5 days a week) so the grip/recoil isn't going to be that big of a problem for me.

Same here, they'll never know what hit em.

tackleberry65

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    speedway
    Yeah, I am a little bit smaller than you, I am 5'8'' and 210, but I am also a personal fit nut (I work out 5 days a week) so the grip/recoil isn't going to be that big of a problem for me.

Same here, they'll never know what hit em.

LOL. Gotta love Marines. "I'm in better shape than you, so I can kick your ass." Grip/recoil isn't a matter of fitness. It's a matter of stance and mass.

I notice that you never said you've shot one. I'm guessing that you haven't and am simply recommending that you try one before plunking down $300-400 for one. I always thought that I'd like it and was surprised to find that I preferred the full stock. I think the increased ability to aim and quickly follow-up outweighs the increased maneuverability. YMMV, $.02, etc.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    i run an extended tube on my remmy that takes my capacity to 18+1. NEVER have had a problem with the 18" bbl. i suppose you could make an extension that goes too far, but you'd run out of reliability before you got too long. btw, we didn't get 19+1 to run reliably with the springs we had available at the time.
    18+1 capacity-is that with 2 3/4" or 3" shells?

I'm just asking because 18 rounds laid end to end would be 50" long (more than 4 feet) and unless the extended tube goes beyond the barrel, I've never heard of a 4' barrel. Does it point well?

got pics?
    :dunno:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Gotta love keyboard commandos. Wouldn't say that to his face.

Why not it would not be the first time I've insulted a Marine to his face nor will it be the last time. :D

Speaking of which I need to brush up on those Marine jokes I have a family reunion coming up...

Top Bottom