• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tdosha

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I have a 500 that is in my "available for trade" stack that isn't the prettiest but still shoots well. Every time I look at it, I think about modifying it some for a home defense weapon and keeping it. In it's current condition my guess is the value = no more than $120 on a good day.

Any thoughts on going ahead and doings some mods (if so what) to it or should I just leave it as trade material?

TO

JoP

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Bluffton, IN
    I've got a 500A with the the long barrel on wood furniture.

I'm thinking of picking up the 18.5" barrel and a pistol grip (maybe the hogue grip and the hogue frontend) to use it for HD when I'm not shooting trap with it (once a year or so).

Not a terrible investment to play with the gun. A new barrel isn't too expensive.

tdosha

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I was thinking about a collapsible stock, a shorter barrel and a mounted light. I figure that I can come in well under what it would cost me to buy one outright and have the pleasure of knowing I did it myself.

JoP

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Bluffton, IN
    Hmmm...prolly find a barrel for under or right at a hundred. The stock, depends on what you want exactly, the stuff I was looking at this week for just the rear stock was between 50-100. For a light you could use a bracket to put a portable flashlight on it if you already have one you like.

It could probably save a little money to do it yourself, but more the second thing you mentioned about having done it yourself. It also allows you to do the pieces as you have cash available and is less of an outlay all at once.

Good on you for giving it a go. Wanna see before and after pics if you go for it.

Top Bottom