• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nightjunio

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Indianapolis
    i ahve a question regarding a mossberg 500a barrel. the one i have is 28'' long with rifle sights and is ported. it is a good barrel but i want to make this my turkey gun and not sure if i should get a new barrel with chokes or if i could modify this. i am unsure if the barrel can be modified to accept chokes or if i need a new barrel. if someone knows about this please let me know. if i cannot modify the barrel what does one run, and can i also use it for squirrel like i do know with a proper choke.
    IMG_1384.jpg

IMG_1383.jpg

IMG_1382.jpg

Last edited:

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Or pick up another barrel. The rifle sighted ones are usually improved cylinder and are fixed. A new barrel with interchangeable chokes is the way to go for what you want to do.

ederue

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    I'm going with Rey- that appears to have a fixed choke. It looks more like my 500 slug barrel to me - but you said it wasn't rifled.

nightjunio

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Indianapolis
    yeah when i first got the gun i assumed the barrel would be rifled, but i was surprised when it was not. i am going to take Rey's advice and get one with interchangeable barrels. i want to make this my turkey gun and squirell gun.

biggen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Gotta agree with the suggestion to get another one. Just look around and you'll find a deal. I just picked up a 28' vent rib, ported and with screw in chokes for 40 bucks. Now it has a few rust spots, but that doesn't matter because it's gonna end up with a rattle can camo job anyway. Mossy 500's are everywhere most LGS will have a couple of used barrels laying around.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Looks like a 24" cylinder bore slug bbl to me.
    They usually shoot foster slugs pretty darn good.
    Keep it for deer (paid for) and double duty for home defense.
    Buy a 28" choke tube bbl and use that for turkey (get an HS Undertaker choke for it- not expensive and work pretty well), run your reg choke tubes for other critters.
    Note: if you want to waterfowl and use steel shot you'll need "Accusteel" choketubes, not the regular ones (Accusteel tubes extend past the muzzle).

Fireman85

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    I absolutely would agree of keeping that barrel for deer hunting and spending the extra money buying the right barrel for the job.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Looks like a 24" cylinder bore slug bbl to me.
    They usually shoot foster slugs pretty darn good.
    Keep it for deer (paid for) and double duty for home defense.
    Buy a 28" choke tube bbl and use that for turkey (get an HS Undertaker choke for it- not expensive and work pretty well), run your reg choke tubes for other critters.
    Note: if you want to waterfowl and use steel shot you'll need "Accusteel" choketubes, not the regular ones (Accusteel tubes extend past the muzzle).
    ^^^^ THIS is what I was thinking^^^^^ Keep it, and buy another...:twocents:

Top Bottom