• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Deet works reasonably well for me, although it's not 100%. The problem is that it leaves a sticky film all over me, which sucks when I'm camping and don't have easy access to a shower. Then it ends up all over the bedding.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    puffing on cigars or pipe tobacco that has a heavy scent. its not healthy, and you can't do it while hunting, but when fishing the heavy smoke keeps them away, well at least for a little bit. Damn those little vampires. if only stakes and fire worked well on them.

Last edited:

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    Crush some uncoated aspirin with the back of a spoon and then make a paste out of it with water. Then take a small amount and spread onto the worst bites.

gage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    underground
    hot water blast remedy

A trick that works for most skin itches is hot water. As hot as you can stand. It will itch intensely while you are doing it but it gives hours of relief.

Hot water works for me too. I take silly HOT showers but require the water to be slightly more hot than normal (comfortable) to work.
    This is also effective for poison ivy itch.
    I believe the heat releases the histamines all at once...a bit on the orgasmic side... you ought to give it a go just for fun.

Hot Water for Itchy Bug Bites - The People's Pharmacy®

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Hot water works for me too. I take silly HOT showers but require the water to be slightly more hot than normal (comfortable) to work.
    This is also effective for poison ivy itch.
    I believe the heat releases the histamines all at once...a bit on the orgasmic side... you ought to give it a go just for fun.

Hot Water for Itchy Bug Bites - The People's Pharmacy®

Yeah, it has to be hotter than you might tolerate for a shower, and I just hold the affected part under the water. The histamine response goes nuts and it itches intensely while you have the hot water on it, but the relief is immediate. I like it especially when itching wakes me up at night.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I've not used it personally, but I've had a number of customers, not to mention my manager, sing it's praises.

Or, you could try this:
    M45 Quadmount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Since they're mosquitoes, I think I'd need one of these instead:
    10-22gatling.jpg

Or possibly one of these:
    mosquito-lg.jpg

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    Thermacell is #1. I don't leave home without it!
    Its great in a turkey blind, on a tree stand or over a bear bait. I used one in Manitoba where the skeeters are classified AS mammals. I never had to spray with deet. Its an amazing product that really works. I have 2..... one as a back up. You wont be disappointed.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    If you are that itchy you are allergic. Benadryl before bed, it will also help you relax and sleep. Also start taking some generic 24 hour Claritin tonight and take it all week or even all summer. Add Benadryl as needed.

Just do it, then soak your nuts in anything in you want.

Now I a going outside in the yard to crank up my handheld propane fogger for all out slaughter. Yeah, that is how I roll

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Alright. I'm buying ten tomorrow. I'm putting them everywhere in case I forget to bring it wherever I happen to be going.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If you are that itchy you are allergic. Benadryl before bed, it will also help you relax and sleep. Also start taking some generic 24 hour Claritin tonight and take it all week or even all summer. Add Benadryl as needed.

Just do it, then soak your nuts in anything in you want.

Benadryl taken orally helps, but if I take it before bed then I'm awake and jittery four hours later, unable to get back to sleep. Claritin has never done anything for me. It might as well be sugar pills.

I think I'm going to go out to Lowe's and buy a heavy-duty rasp...

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Ok, I took a freakin' hot shower. I cranked it as hot as I could and boiled my legs until the skin was red and the skeeter bites were white. As a control, I left my arm unshowered (well, just didn't boil it, it still got washed). I'm happy to say that the itchiness in the legs is greatly reduced while the arm is still relatively itchy. I'm not sure if it's the hot water bringing the blood to the surface and washing away the histamines or if I've just destroyed the nerve endings in my legs. Either way it's all good.

gage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    underground
    Ok, I took a freakin' hot shower. I cranked it as hot as I could and boiled my legs until the skin was red and the skeeter bites were white. As a control, I left my arm unshowered (well, just didn't boil it, it still got washed). I'm happy to say that the itchiness in the legs is greatly reduced while the arm is still relatively itchy. I'm not sure if it's the hot water bringing the blood to the surface and washing away the histamines or if I've just destroyed the nerve endings in my legs. Either way it's all good.

:laugh: now that made me laugh....
    I'm glad you're all good though. Hope you rest well....

hountzmj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    SE Indiana
    I've seen the Thermacell marketed in a few places. Can anyone else confirm its efficacy? Hate to spend the money to find out it does nothing to repel the little buggers. I'm also not a huge fan of spraying Deet all over my skin, as it may be toxic when used heavily*.

Thermacell works. Unless it's breezy. Then again the skeeters aren't bad when it's breezy.

One thing about the thermacell. Don't expect it to work instantly. It takes a few min for it to get heated up and saturate the air around you with it's repellent.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I was at LaSalle Area 3 today fishing topwater frogs from the shore, and i got eaten alive. I shall put some of these tricks to use. hot shower here i come

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    One thing I do to help kill the itch is to light a cigarette and get the cherry glowing good. I'll hold it over the bite (about 1/4 to 1/2 inch) until I can't stand the heat. I do not however recommend this for any bites you get in your nether-regions. I've never attempted that because I'm afraid I'll sneeze.:laugh:

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    The news this morning reported that the mosquitoes are only going to be worse within the next couple of weeks because of all of the rain we had. They said the mosquitoes are worse this year because we have had more rain this summer than last summer and it's hot. That leads to a nice breeding ground. I rarely getting bitten like Scutter but I've got about 10 of them on me too from this weekend. The weird thing is we never even saw them. Gnats were everywhere though.

Sigh...

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Just ignore the bites. Its all mind over matter. They stop itching if you don't give them attention.

Top Bottom