• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    great idea for the summer. Just one question, what kills the critters since they lay eggs in water?

Maybe two items:

First off they are attracted to carbon monoxide but they can't survive in 100% CO in the bottle.

2nd, The other byproduct of fermentation is alcohol. I'm doubting eggs will survive if even laid.

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    I would think it would fail in hot temps but this is worth trying. For sure not for cold nights, once the yeast dies it is done. I would not put it in direct sun with temps going over 90, put it in the shade.

In colder temps one could use lager yeast. The yeast will be stressed in the warmer weather but would survive and function. Also one could use a mix of ale and lager yeasts.

Chuck

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    All you would need is bread yeast.

Well then, how cold will bread yeast tolerate and still function to produce CO2 enough to attract mosquitoes? From what I have read bakers yeast optimal temperature being 75 - 80 degrees F. Lager fermentation temperatures from 45 to 55 °F. I was responding to a question about what would happen for cold nights and the yeast dying and being dead.

Chuck

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Well then, how cold will bread yeast tolerate and still function to produce CO2 enough to attract mosquitoes? From what I have read bakers yeast optimal temperature being 75 - 80 degrees F. Lager fermentation temperatures from 45 to 55 °F. I was responding to a question about what would happen for cold nights and the yeast dying and being dead.

Chuck

Admittedly, it's going to be an experiment to lock down what works in different situations.

After a day of heat and going into the evening during outdoor party times the bread yeast would probably work fine. If nothing else stick a cheap hand warmer packet under it.

If something is gonna be subjected to direct sunlight then shade it.

These things will probably prove to be one shot wonders where you need to re-dose the fix'ns everytime you go to use it.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    my wife did, idk if she did it 100% properly but it didnt attract mosquitos but it did attract other insects and they died in the bottle.

It slows down on generating CO2 after about 4 -> 5 hrs. A bit more solution richer in sugars with more yeast lasts longer. The water needs to be a bit above warm to accelerate the fermentation.

2 miles from the Patoka Wildlife Refuge with the associated oxbows can be hell but three of these puppys percolating away makes being outdoors on the deck a pleasure.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just like Japanese beetle traps. Dont use them. They draw even more beetles to your property then they ever kill.

Dick Crumb loves to say "want to get rid of Japanese beetles? buy traps and put them in your neighbor's yards/gardens.":laugh:

Boco

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2013
    Thank you... I saw this picture on Facebook but
    without the recipe and I was looking for it. Can't wit to give it a try.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN

Chuck
    Bread yeast will survive freezing temps fine, so the real difference here will be when are they active? I'm guessing bread yeast will be more active at the 75-80 window you mentioned and lager yeast will go hyper-active and die off quickly at same temperature. I don't think mosquitoes will be a problem at 45-55 temp of lager yeast so thats a moot point... of course this is all just speculation...

I think bread yeast would be ideally suited to the temp ranges that are also ideal for mosquitoes to function in...

Top Bottom