• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Awesome weekend to get away for a little shooting!
    I haven't shot this rifle since last spring. I've brought it to the range a hand full of times so it has been exposed to some seasonal fluctuations but it never made it to the shooting rotation before I had to end my range time each visit.
    This is a fun rifle, it is one of two of my remaining WW2 rifles (I used to have a decent collection). I kind of remember thinking that I had it zeroed in at 100 yards so I set up at the 100 yard bench set POA at bullseye and shot 4 rounds from a cold bore, slow fire. I used the sling to help my left arm serve more like a mono-pod as much as you can use the sling on a Mosin Nagant (it isn't a Garand, that's for sure :patriot:).
    2012-3-18mosin5.jpg

To be sure this isn't interpreted as a bragging thread I'll honestly note my actual thoughts at the time:
    -Using a bench is cheating.
    -I didn't shoot 5 shots because I could tell at 4 that I was already having a hard time holding a steady point of aim due flinching and general wimpy guy issues related to shooting a hand cannon. I was more curious what the GUN can do for the first group, and to see if it was even on paper at 100yds.

I walked downrange to see the target and I was astounded! Here is the pic of the target at that point.
    2012-3-18mosin10.jpg

OK, next I'll see what more "practical" shooting positions can accomplish. I shot 4 rounds prone (on not so hospitable ground I might add.)

2012-3-18mosin7.jpg

I put another 4 shots downrange with the typical negative reinforcement you get from this rifle after each shot making you want to flinch.
    The results were more typical:
    I mounted this target sideways, the pic is uprighted correctly.
    2012-3-18mosin9.jpg

I followed that up with another round of fire from the bench to compare the warm bore and throbbing shoulder to the cold bore and fresh shoulder earlier.
    The new shots are the ones that are not on the first pic, I'm too lazy to change targets that often.:)

2012-3-18mosin6.jpg

I then shot from several improvised positions to see how much the pattern changes and spreads. I didn't take pictures of these targets but you can just close you eyes and picture the above targets with holes distributed ALL over the cardboard, let alone the target.:D

And for some pics of a great day at the range, you have to love this weather!

2012-3-18mosin4.jpg

2012-3-18mosin3.jpg

Last edited:

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    That some pretty good shootin from the bench Doc. You mentioned trying to find out the accuracy potential of the rifle, from that first group and your comments, it seems the potential is pretty good. Makes me wonder, what type of ammo you were using as that seems to be pretty good stuff.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    which range?
    Hamilton County Fish and Game. HCFG(dot)org. It doesn't look anything like that now, "we" have done a tremendous amount of work on it. I say "we" in quotes because as much as I would love to show up and get my suburban hands into some work like I was used to as a kid I haven't been able to show up to any of the work days. :xmad:

That some pretty good shootin from the bench Doc. You mentioned trying to find out the accuracy potential of the rifle, from that first group and your comments, it seems the potential is pretty good. Makes me wonder, what type of ammo you were using as that seems to be pretty good stuff.

Cheap surplus corrosive stuff. I cannot remember what it is? Now that I know it is a shooter I'll look into some decent ammo though.

pkoko

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    I shot my mosin for the first time today... My windage adjustment is a little off.. but it is very accurate. The recoil is painful though... I need a more comfortable rifle shoulder pad...

Top Bottom