• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bisbobble

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Carmel/Zionsville
    Get thee to an Appleseed! You will learn foundational marksmanship skills as well as the history of your own country. The Mosin is a heavy recoiling rifle, not for the faint of heart. You can learn the skills on a 22 and they will transfer well to larger caliber rifles.

:

Thanks, I work with someone who would string me up if I don't go to one. I was looking at 22LR at the same time so I could take it to an Appleseed.

__Doc_

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Henry Co
    and they'll likely never go very high in collector value;

I'd have to disagree. There are some very nice, rare and well made nuggets out there that collectors seek. Personally, I'd never pay more than 90$ for one (and i haven't) but I know some guys that would spend hundreds on one based on rarity and collection value

manygunsmike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Cedar Lake Indiana
    They are no good so stay away!! LOL ! I have collected Mosin Nagants for about 15yrs now I still find interesting and unusual examples so it keeps it fun!
    picture.php

manygunsmike

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Crazy American, you can only own fine Russian rifle if you buy now! Made by superior Russian workers of best steel and wood to last forever. Please don't shoot more than a spam can or two at an outing. Strong Russian can fire Nagant rifles all day, no pain. Please pass vodka and caviar before cleaning Nagant, and remember to clean bayonet also. You must shoot with bayonet attached to experience full adventure with Nagant.
    Buy now imperialist American. Hurry, don't walk.

Note: Did see some for around $100.00 (91/30s) at Crown Point Gunshow.

Last edited:

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    Been looking HARD at them myself and scouring the web for articles on sporterizing it myself. I think it would make a great knock-around truck gun. Haven't quite pulled the trigger on the purchase yet, but I'm close.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If you have a $100 to burn and want a bear gun then go ahead. I thought about it forever but decided not to get it. Got a Mauser instead. More expensive but I like it much much better. But a Mosin is a monster of a rifle.
    I got 3 Mosins first, now I have 2 Mausers too. Love 'em all!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I had the same question. I was in Bradis tonight and thought real hard at buying one. I'm not familiar with these at all. They have them marked at various prices. None more than $149 I think. Would these be good to teach basic rifle shooting and basic marksmanship with or should I look at something else? My kids (teenagers) and I want to work together on some shooting skills. I thought some history wouldn't hurt either. Thoughts?
    Get one for each kid... let 'em learn all about stripping the thing down (basically 2 screws... 4 if you count the butt plate... removing all the cosmoline... making it "theirs". Then sit back and watch the big :poop:-eating grins when they pull the trigger for the first time... :D

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Where else can you get a high powered rifle and 440 rounds of ammo for under $200? :D

Oh, and the only reason the cold war lasted so long was because the commies couldn't open their own ammo cans and eventually gave up. Keep that in mind when you buy your surplus ammo. ;)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    My Mosin Nagants are, BY FAR, my favorite rifles to shoot five to eight rounds out of before my shoulder starts to hurt. :):

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    My Mosin Nagants are, BY FAR, my favorite rifles to shoot five to eight rounds out of before my shoulder starts to hurt. :):

I still have yet to get a hurt shoulder from shooting my 91/30.. are the carbines really that much worse? If so, i may have to pick up a couple. :)

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Why not? They're $100ish, somtimes cheaper. They're crude, nasty, and ugly, but quite fun to shoot. You won't find a rifle chambered for a full-powered cartridge at a cheaper price. 7.62x54r is cheap and not that hard to find. I only use my mine for plinking, preferrably cinder block blasting, and again for the cost of the rifle and price of ammo why not plink with it.

I wouldn't worry about sticking to American firearms. I'm sure your other firearms won't mind another addition.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I love mine! I shot a fellow INGOer's Mosin at a meetup awhile back and after the first shot knew I had to have one. Went and bought my own 3 days later. :D

For $100 why not? If you decide it isn't for you then they are pretty easy to resell and not lose much money. Just my :twocents:

Pretty cool history behind them, very fun to shoot, and cheap to feed :yesway:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I still have yet to get a hurt shoulder from shooting my 91/30.. are the carbines really that much worse? If so, i may have to pick up a couple. :)

I don't think they are bad at all. I had heard all the hype and I held on for dear life the first time I fired an M44 and after I pulled the trigger I thought, that was it? Don't get me wrong, it is not a .22 and you know you shot it, but if you have it shouldered properly I don't think they are bad at all. 50 rounds wouldn't be too bad in a range outing.

An M44 is on my list for sure!:rockwoot: She will keep my 91/30 company :D

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't notice any difference between the 91/30 and the carbine, and I don't mind either one. As JohnP82 said, it's not a .22... :) In fact when I took my .22 to the range after shooting the Mosins almost exclusively for awhile, (and with earmuffs on at the range), I had to check to see if I had actually fired when I pulled the trigger! :): I cut my shooting teeth on an Ithaca Model 37 Featherweight 12 gauge though. A 6 1/2-ish pound 12 gauge kicks more than the Mosins IMO.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    To the OP, AIM Surplus has 91/30's for $79.95 right now. Laminate stocked 91/30's for $89.95, and Chinese T53's (Chinese version of an M44 carbine) for $149.95, which is a good price. Of course you'll have to pay shipping and FFL fee unless you have a C&R license, but still not bad deals.

Our Catalog

Top Bottom