• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I've got that same stock and scope mount on my M44. You will see me shooting it if you check the link I provided in my first post. It does take a bit longer to reload due to not being able to use the stripper clips. But whatever I'm shooting at I can generally take care of in the 5 shots or less ;) Plus with practice you get faster. As for the bolt handle, I bought a different screw right off the bat that was the same style but was made of hardened tool steel, the same kind used for impact sockets. Its been through working the bolt hundreds of times since and no probs yet. If I ever do it to my 91/30 I'll get one of the new bolts with the handle welded on instead.

ddewyse

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    North Central Indiana
    I was at the Elkhart & Mishawaka Midwest Gun Exchanges also in the last week. The Elkhart store only has the round receiver models (most dated 1941 - 1945) while the Mishawaka store has both the round and hex receiver (dated 1929 - 1936) models.

I also stopped in at a Dunham's in Saginaw, MI over the holidays and they only had one Mosin but it was a 91/59 model in great shape with matching numbers. It was a little pricey at $175.

I'm thinking about going back to Midwest and picking up one of the hex models and turning it into a hunting rifle with a new stock and the works. Wish me luck.

GC Dude

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    The Dunhams closet to me usually only has one 91/30 on hand. Not much to pick from. Haven't seen any hex reciever rilfes there yet.
    If you are looking for one of a kind rifles keep an eye on the collector's corner on J&G Sales web site. They even post pics there of what they have.

csm47362

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    New Castle, IN
    I have had a few standard but never one like this. A really nice sporterized model at the auction in Richmond, I paid $85 + $5.95 tax + $10 in transfer fee. I though it was an ok deal. Someone did a real good job when they did it. Cut done and crowned the barrel. Removed the rear site and added scope mounts. The bolt has not been bent but looks like it was cut off and a new one bolted on so it now is in a downward position. The gun over all is is great condition with only one small spot of rust on the bottom of the mag.

100_3974.jpg

Not the best pic but gives you and idea.

84VETTE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Salem
    I havent bought one yet but plan on it, I most likely will end up sporterizing it so I will get some practical use out of it. I know a lot of guys frown on not keeping its authenticity but hey they are very plentiful and cheap, so I figure it wont hurt to customize just one.

1943Izzy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Liberty
    I bought my fisrt one a couple weeks ago. I hope to take it to the range this weekend. Dunhams had a two day sale for 74.95 . Mine is a 43 Izzy with all numbers matching and no counterbore .

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Congrats on the new Mosin. Beware, they do accumulate. Also, be sure to take hearing protection when you go to shoot. I don't know how the guys in WWII fired them without losing most of their hearing.

1943Izzy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Liberty
    Thanks Tim, I have been told they are really loud. I always wear ear protection no matter what I shoot. (Its a range rule anyway).

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Nick, how much money did it cost to do all that? Did you pay a gunsmith to do it? If not, how did you learn? I'm all for purist, but heck, why not get a half dozen of the things and modify just one? How did you learn to do all that stuff? Could you put links up?

I have $300 in my M44 counting optics. (I got my scope on a closeout deal so i bought it for next to nothing and it's been a GREAT scope going on almost 4 years now!!!) I saved a lot of money, I'm sure, doing the work myself.

I did all the work myself except for welding my bolt handle. My brother-in-law is a gunsmith and a machinist. He helped me with all the work. I learned, and continue to learn all i know from him.

A lot of the other knowledge came from utilizing *gasp* another web forum (surplusrifleforum.com) It is a great web-community with a wealth of info shared by good people, much like INGO.

I did a lot of homework before starting in on my Mosin project. An old saying goes, "Location, location, location." I say, "Research, research, research."

Collecting and Shooting the Military Surplus Rifle (2006) - Surplusrifle.com

Surplusrifleforum.com • Index page

7.62x54r.net

Top Bottom