• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Bloomington
    Ok so ive been looking at scoping my mosin nagant 91/30. It looks like the easier option is to buy one of the 6.5" rails that mount by removing the rear iron sight and installing this rail in its place. I would prefer this over dealing with a gunsmith to install the p/u style scope mount. However, I hear tell of these rail mounts not staying firm under the stress of the rigorous amount of recoil produced by these rifles.... so.. good investment or not???

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    I myself have wondered about this and after shooting my Mossin M44 100 yards with iron sights last Sunday, the thought has come up again. Anybody have a setup that they like?

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I had seen that you can remove the rear sight all together and clamp on a set of 3/8 rings right to the dovetail. There is only 2 pins that have to be pushed out for removal but have read where some of the sights have a bit of solder on them. Not on every gun though. I wouldn't think you would have to heat the sight base up very much though. I have read that some of the bases that attach inside the rear mount are finiky about coming loose. Don't know from personal experience but you are talking about some decent recoil. I would think in this case that a less fancy setup may be better. Even if you remove the rear sight completely it can always be reinstalled. Do some searching on the net, you should be able to find the mod that I am talking about.

Neo46121

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Putnam County
    I just ordered the 4 inch scope mount kit from tickbitesupply.com

I'll let you guys know how it handles the stress when I get it installed and test it out

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I've used one of the cheap ones and it wouldn't stay tight. Chucked it and bought one of the Darrell mounts. Used it for about 4 years now on several rifles and have not had one bit of trouble from it. A bit pricey, tho.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    As for the scope mount that mounts on the rear sight...been there, done that, threw the durn thing in the trash.

I have 2 recommendations:

1. The 91/30 has a dovetail where the rear sight is. See this post in the Surplus Rifle Forum. Surplusrifleforum.com • View topic - 3/8 Inch Dovetail?? This will NOT work with the Model 44; it has no dovetail.

2. MOJO Peep sights are designed to replace the rear sight on any Mosin and several other surplus rifles. See Peep Sights by MOJO Sighting Systems This is a click adjustable, all steel sight that works surprisingly well.

Good Shooting,
    Doug

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have one of the $10 ebay rear sight mounts on my M38 and am not a fan. Right now, it is holding zero for about the last 50 rounds, but I'm not confident that it will for any length of time. I've replaced the cheap screws that came with it with SS screws and use a lot of locktight. One of these days I'll pony up the $$$ to buy a decent rear sight mount, but have other projects on the burner at the moment.

GC Dude

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    There is info on the surplusrifle.com web page about mounting a scope on a Mosin. There is a link to a company that makes a solid looking mount that replaces the rear site. S&K I think is the company.

yj-guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    brazil
    I have a 1943 mosin nagant 91/30. Bought the rail from combathunting.com. Put over 1k rnds and have never had to tighten the rail. I use it for coyote hunting and for contests with a few buddies. Also have a bipod and monte carlo stock. Shoots extremely accurate with brass reloads.

Top Bottom