• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Depends if the stock is soaked in it. A stock that's full of cosmoline will continue to "weep" long after a cleaning unless you cook it out. Everything else is no problem to clean, though.

I was doing enough of them once upon a time that I made a little cooker out of some plywood, insulation wrap, and some light bulbs.

That is correct, heat is the only way to get cosmo out of the stock.

Chemicals are for the metal parts only. With the heat method, there is much much less taking it apart. I have seen more then a few folks do the car dash trash bag trick, wipe it down, oil it up and start shooting Mosins. The SKS I would want to check over a little more though.

tmanbuddyy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    That is correct, heat is the only way to get cosmo out of the stock.

Chemicals are for the metal parts only. With the heat method, there is much much less taking it apart. I have seen more then a few folks do the car dash trash bag trick, wipe it down, oil it up and start shooting Mosins. The SKS I would want to check over a little more though.

Not to sound dumb but this car dash thing is the real deal...interesting. Really

2nd question is the removal of the real sight as simple as punching the pins out.

Also has any one ever polished their action and barrel

Last edited:

corronade

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    kokomo
    for the pins they are sometimes soldered in.
    you may have to take a blow torch and melt the silver solder out of the welds.
    good luck.
    there is alot of info of guys doing it on youtube.

country85

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    I've got a video up on youtube explaining a super easy bent bolt conversion, as for the sticky grease of death, purple power and hot water has always worked for me, takes alittle longer than some methods but you don't have to worry about nasty fumes.

Top Bottom