More Gun-Mounted Flashlight Fun (Denver)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    So I stopped keeping a light on my "smaller" handguns a few years ago. It seemed redundant as I already wanted to have a handheld light available for other tasks.

I am, however, not quite ready to take them off any long guns or AR/AK pistols. For me, the larger weapons have a very different purpose and having a light in the offhand is far less practical with these weapons.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    I don't have flashlights on my hand guns. I think this quote from the article kinda sums it up.

"If you put a flashlight on a gun, the gun becomes something other than a gun," Maloney said. "A firearm should be a firearm. We were concerned in New York that if you put a flashlight on a gun, the police would start using the gun as a flashlight. When you do that, you point a loaded firearm in an area not intended for shooting."

I agree with cwillour, just keep them on the long guns since it's not practical to hold a flashlight when using a long gun.

T755

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Had one since 2004ish when I carry a auto. Its all about training, using your brain and keeping your finger off the go switch. Its a training issue with that dept not a indictment of white light systems on a handgun.

djsmith1000

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2014
    United States
    Any thoughts on whether it gives bad guys something to shoot at? I was advised once not to have one on my weapon but hold the flashlight away from my person. So if someone just shoots at the light its not as big a risk. I was never sure about this.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Any thoughts on whether it gives bad guys something to shoot at? I was advised once not to have one on my weapon but hold the flashlight away from my person. So if someone just shoots at the light its not as big a risk. I was never sure about this.

I don't turn the light on until I need it and once it is on it doesn't stay on constantly. And if the light is pointed at the bad guy, so is the gun.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

That's a software issue more than a hardware one. Yes people could target the light (or a movement, or a sound, etc), but that doesn't mean you don't use a light. It just means you use better tactics.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Weapon-mounted lights are a very good thing. Because some people are too stupid to manage their weapon properly while trying to use it does not negate that fact.

There are limitations to a weapon-mounted light and know how and when to use them or not use them is very important, but that's the same as any tool.

If you actually have to shoot in a low light environment, having a light mounted is an enormous advantage.

I'll keep mine.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    I'm always an advocate of actuating the flashlight with the other hand. I understand the advantage of the tape switch they show in the article, allowing for one handed manipulation. But keeping the two operations completely separate prevents situations like this

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    Mudloff, who was in the passenger seat of the squad car, drew his handgun as he moved to get out of the vehicle. As he did so, he tried to activate his gun-mounted flashlight, which has switches just to the front of and almost parallel to the gun's trigger, according to Vigil's account.

Vigil said Mudloff attempted to activate the flashlight using his right index finger, which is his trigger finger. Training required him to use the thumb of his hand, which would not be used to pull the trigger of the gun, according to Vigil.

So in the article the fellow had his trigger finger through the trigger guard, when he had been trained to use his thumb (i"m assuming it was his offhand thumb) and to NOT use his trigger finger. The when hit with a car door, he tightened his grip, squeezing the trigger (where his finger should not have been) discharging his weapon. And they blame the flashlight?!?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    But keeping the two operations completely separate prevents situations like this

I too prefer a separate handheld light, but don't necessarily agree here. Sympathetic reactions from one hand to another could still result in a similar situation. Its a software/training issue.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Maybe if they're flashlights were activated with "The Clapper". :):

Clap On ** Clap Off **

Wait...no...

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Weapon-mounted lights are a very good thing. Because some people are too stupid to manage their weapon properly while trying to use it does not negate that fact.

There are limitations to a weapon-mounted light and know how and when to use them or not use them is very important, but that's the same as any tool.

If you actually have to shoot in a low light environment, having a light mounted is an enormous advantage.

I'll keep mine.
    Astounding, a pachyderm that exhibits more common sense than the average man, lawyer or not?

Top Bottom