• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Kind of funny though, that you actually truthfully had no intention of buying a gun from them, but was willing to take up the sales clerks time. Maybe they could read your mind or something. If that's the case, I'm definitely staying away from them (or wearing my foil hat), because I have lots of secrets.

I was of this mind set as well......Really, you intended to waste someones time and got butt hurt over this.....:wow:

I understand what you are saying but seriously bad example.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    Since they changed the Merrillville store to a Gun World, their customer service has been awesome the times I have gone in. Just wandering around "tire kicking" I'll get asked multiple times if there is anything they can help me with. Sounds like a management change is in order at some of their stores....

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Wow, I've been to Merrillville about 4-5 times and only found one guy that knew what he was talking about and was willing to help me.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I only go to gander Friday mornings to get my 22lr ammo...otherwise I do my business with Bradis in Camby.

I tried to yesterday, who closes during the time of year that a lot of people are still on vacation and looking to spend money? Others were showing up there and surprised as well! Went to PSS and bought my gun (they were busy) and went to Highsmiths and shot (range was packed), why? Because people are on vacation and out doing things. Before Xmas Gander had a whole table of .22lr which wasn't outrageous, i bought some for stocking stuffers. Ocassionally you will see a used gun with a low price but for the most part nothing there is real world prices. Both Ganders recently haven't had jack for used guns either just a bunch of surplus handguns.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Went to PSS and bought my gun (they were busy) and went to Highsmiths and shot (range was packed)

LOVE both places! I was just at Highsmith's range on Saturday with my son. It's a bit of a drive, but worth it... great bunch of guys there, and I love their range. It's always clean, and as busy as they were, we didn't have to wait very long to get a lane assignment.

As for Gander, I don't *hate* them. During some of the lean times this year, Gander often DID have things when no one else did. When Dick's was removing AR-style rifles, Gander was expanding their business. I respect them for sticking with the program and not buckling under all the "progressive" anti-2A pressure. But because of their high prices, it has to be something I really *need* before I'll buy from them.

Last edited:

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Wow, I've been to Merrillville about 4-5 times and only found one guy that knew what he was talking about and was willing to help me.
    I've been to that store 3 times, and the employees never fail to disappoint me. Either with their lack of knowledge or their ability to be rude. Sad they spend all that money on a great looking gun store. Then to hire the most incompetent employees they can find.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I've been to that store 3 times, and the employees never fail to disappoint me. Either with their lack of knowledge or their ability to be rude. Sad they spend all that money on a great looking gun store. Then to hire the most incompetent employees they can find.

Yeah, I was a noob who had only been looking at guns for a week, and two or three of the youngsters behind the counter knew less about revolvers than I did. They were useless.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    This. So many people on this forum think they are entitled to waste the time of sales people at stores they have no intention of buying anything at. And then they rant about it when the sales people are over burdened with buyers.

If all the jackasses that went into GM without intending to buy anything stopped going in, the people that intend to buy something would probably get a lot faster service. Who is making your wait too long? People just like you, OP.

Exactly!

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Yeah, I was a noob who had only been looking at guns for a week, and two or three of the youngsters behind the counter knew less about revolvers than I did. They were useless.
    I'm not sure why they hire so many young kids who obviously have no idea what they're doing. I will never go into the one in Hobart anymore.

pamchuck

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    Lanesville
    Best Buy has had a similar problem for years, people go to their stores to see the latest electronics and then go order it online from Amazon or other online outlets. But, now Best Buy is actually encouraging people to come into their stores and do that because they believe that you will buy that item or at least spend some money there. If Gander Mountain would do the same, along with training their gun salespeople, they could have a great store for us. I've only been in the GM in Evansville and had good experiences with the salespeople, still overpriced guns, but a good experience with them.

echoagain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    So I guess there would be less 'hate' for GM if they didn't sell firearms at all? I don't buy guns at GM anymore (they used to have better prices) but if you want something today and are willing to pay a little more for it they probably are your best bet. If you're willing to shop around a bit more a maybe use the internet you can save some money, but how much is your time and aggravation worth? If you don't like buying from a pricey big-box business, then don't, problem solved. This might surprise some folks (probably the same ones who gripe about so-called 'gouging') but GM does not exist to serve you. They exist to make profit for their shareholders. From what I've seen, guns are flying off the shelves at the prices they are asking and with the people they are hiring. Why would they change this business model? I like to window-shop at GM (I don't waste their employee's time) for guns, and I'll occasionally buy ammo or apparel there. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy guns from them and it's a good thing that more people are joining the ranks of gun-owners. Enough *****ing.....

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I hate it when I go into a store and know more about the product than the associate who works there.

It's already been established that many here hate Gander for their high prices. How much per hour should a knowledgeable and well trained staff make? It seems that people want to eat their cake and have it too. Low prices and high labor costs to satisfy our questions.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I hate it when I go into a store and know more about the product than the associate who works there.

If you are really into something, chances are you may know more about it than someone who works in a shop and has to deal with a bunch of different aspects of the business. That said, it is one thing for someone to be totally ignorant of firearms and work in such a place. But if the person just does not know as much about a particular make/model, as a person who is really an enthusiast, that is not an issue in my eyes.

As others have stated, I doubt many of us would want to pay to have an expert in every platform behind the counter.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Gander has the best selection of any of the gun stores around here. You can go in and coonfinger it and then order it from your LGS or buy it online. Makes perfect sense to me. Not the complaining, just the "test drive".

If that's what most people do, no wonder the staff is short. If you spent all day showing guns to people who ate up your time then left to buy elsewhere, what kind of mood would you be in?

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    Kind of funny though, that you actually truthfully had no intention of buying a gun from them, but was willing to take up the sales clerks time. Maybe they could read your mind or something. If that's the case, I'm definitely staying away from them (or wearing my foil hat), because I have lots of secrets.

I was of this mind set as well......Really, you intended to waste someones time and got butt hurt over this.....:wow:

I understand what you are saying but seriously bad example.

Hello Churchmouse! I just have to chime in with chuckles. This would be like me having you bid on a project for me. And knowing all along I'm going to use my brother-in-law's cousin, (who got his license from the back of a match book cover), and has an "in" at some "seconds" wholesale place. Church... sometimes, ya just gotta hope people like that get what they deserve :)
    Listen up my man: I wish you and yours a GREAT NEW YEAR!!!

Top Bottom