• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I have an opinion I would like to share and really would like to see how many of you agree, please.
    I feel anything with a motor of any size that you can ride or drive on a road should have to be plated and registered like any automobile. I also feel that the driver should have to be at least 16 with a valid drivers license. Some of these mo peds can go up to 50mph and I see kids on them that are not but maybe 13 and 14 yrs old. I also see grown men riding them to and from work and I do suspect the reason why is that they do not have a drivers license for whatever reason, of which I do not care. They are on the road driving just like you and me so they should have to pay wheel tax just like we do.

If this has been posted before sorry.

Thanks

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I completely agree and the state was thinking about this last year but the alcoholics threw such a fit that nothing came of it. the only moped problem in bloomington are all the DUI mopeders.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I have 9 to 12 year olds running up and down my lake road on dirt bikes. No safety gear of any kind. Bikes wide open just screaming down the busy road. Some times even after dark with no lights of any kind.

My question, where are the parents that are suppose to care for these kids?

It is not a matter of if one of them gets seriously hurt or killed, but when.

They are traveling so fast that as you try to back out of the driveway, you never know they are then until they buzz past you.

I watch the neighbor just miss one a couple weeks ago. Kid buzz pass as he was backing out. I few seconds either way and the kid would have run right into the side of the car. Neighbor told me later that he never seen or hear the kid until he noticed flying by.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I have an opinion I would like to share and really would like to see how many of you agree, please.
    I feel anything with a motor of any size that you can ride or drive on a road should have to be plated and registered like any automobile. I also feel that the driver should have to be at least 16 with a valid drivers license. Some of these mo peds can go up to 50mph and I see kids on them that are not but maybe 13 and 14 yrs old. I also see grown men riding them to and from work and I do suspect the reason why is that they do not have a drivers license for whatever reason, of which I do not care. They are on the road driving just like you and me so they should have to pay wheel tax just like we do.

If this has been posted before sorry.

Thanks

They are regulated by statute in Indiana. Enforcement is the issue for concern.

Indiana Moped Laws

Moped Definition
    A moped, or "Motorized bicycle," is a two (2) or three (3) wheeled vehicle, that is propelled by an internal combustion engine or a battery powered motor. If it is powered by a motor, the engine have less than two horsepower, a cyclinder capacity less than 50c.c., an automatic transmission, and a maximum speed less than 25mph on a flat surface. Electric mopeds are only required to travel less than 25mph on a flat surface.
    Mini Choppers
    Mini choppers are usually classfied as motorcycles because they may not meet all the requirements above to be classified as a moped. Since they are classified as motorcycles, they are required to have a license plate, proof of insurance, and the rider must have a motorcycle endorsement on his or her driver's license.
    Moped Licensing Information
    Moped operators must be atleast fifteen years old, and they must possess a Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) issued license or identifaction card. No motorcycle license is required to operate a moped.
    Safety Information and Laws
    Everyone under the age of 18 is required to wear a helmet and eye protection while riding on a moped. The protective headgear that is worn must meet the requirements set by the USDOT. The protective eyewear required can be a pair of protective glasses, goggles, or a transparent face shield. All operators under the age of 18 who ride on motorcycles must also wear a helmet and eye protection.
    Mopeds cannot be operated on sidewalks or Interstate highways.

Anyone caught riding a motorcycle without the proper registration or equipment will be given a ticket and the motorcycle will be impounded until it is licensed and insured correctly. The fines for these violations will range between $112.00 to $132.00 dollars.
    Mopeds are also required to abide by the following laws regarding the operation of vehicles on public land: Brakes are required that are capable of producing deceleration at 14 feet per second on level ground at a speed of 20 miles per hour.
    Vehicles cannot be used to hunt, kill, or pursue a wild bird or any wild or domestic animal
    An individual shall not operate a vehicle 30 minutes after sunset to 30 minutes before sunrise without having a lighted headlight and taillight
    An individual shall not operate a vehicle unless the vehicle has a muffler in good working condition and in continual operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise and annoying smoke.
    A person who violates these statues commits a Class C Infraction or a Class B Misdemeanor.
    Vehicle Registration If you are renewing a registration, you will pay an excise tax fee (perhaps a sur and wheel tax if applicable to your county) and a registration fee. You can renew a standard vehicle registration, along with many other transactions, at any license branch in the state of Indiana. All registrants are required to provide the name of their current insurance company and their corresponding policy number.
    If you have purchased a vehicle, State law requires Indiana residents to remit a 7% Indiana sales tax on vehicle purchases. Motorists who purchase a vehicle from an out-of-state dealer or from an individual must pay sales tax at the time of title application. Motorists must apply for a title within 31 days of purchase. Failure to do so will result in a late fee.
    If you are a new Indiana resident, you are required to have a certificate or origin, odometer statement, proof of insurance, and a verification of your Social Security number.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Absofrigginlutely.

Liquor sickles(spelling changed to enunciate how I pronounce them) need to be registered like any other motor vehicle and a driver's license should be necessary. If you don't want to walk or ride a bicycle around town, DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE.

The only exception I'd be OK with is young teens being able to ride one to and from work.

OAK

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    TH
    Yes!!!!! I hate them all, if it can't go 45mph it shouldn't be on the road, they should make it where the rider must be 18yrs old and can only carry 1 passanger... Yes ONE! it's like a contest with them to see how many they can fit on a POS moped. Must be licensed, insured, plated, DOT regulated!

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Nope, I'm sorry, but there's no way I'm going to support government interference into anyone's lives. If I want to ride a four-wheeler into town, why shouldn't I be able to?

Tell me why I should have to plate and register my truck to be able to drive it on the street? What good is a license plate? Law Enforcement, right? How? I'm sorry, but having to register and plate my car/truck is BS and there's no reason anyone should have to plate and register their mopeds.

Licensed to drive one? No. I shouldn't have to have a license to drive my truck on the road either.

Last edited:

KingWeb50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    I dont care they are on the road but I just wish they could go the speed limit. It sucks getting stuck behind one where it is going 35 mph on a 55mph road and you cant get around them because of the traffic in the other lane.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Its a good way to cleanse the idiots from the gene pool. If your stupid enough to cut people off on a 49cc scooter than............. (you can fill in the last part).

DUI scooters are only supposed to have 49cc engines or smaller, and I am thinking the top speed is 35mph (could be wrong on the speed though).

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Nope, I'm sorry, but there's no way I'm going to support government interference into anyone's lives. If I want to ride a four-wheeler into town, why shouldn't I be able to?

If I can't ride my quad into town, drunks shouldn't be allowed to ride a moped.

Tell me why I should have to plate and register my truck to be able to drive it on the street? What good is a license plate? Law Enforcement, right? How? I'm sorry, but having to register and plate my car/truck is BS and there's no reason anyone should have to plate and register their mopeds.

Licensed to drive one? No. I should have to have a license to drive my truck on the road either.

Nobody is arguing that gubbment interference isn't BS, we're arguing that if we have to register our vehicles and have valid licenses to drive our automobiles and motorcycles, so should those trotting around on scooters.

OAK

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    TH

Licensed to drive one? No. I should have to have a license to drive my truck on the road either.

It's the way it is... I've brought this up in a class and what I was told was "You have no right to drive a car or any vehicle, you have the privilage"...

There is a serious problem with these things here in Terre Haute. I fairly sure there has been a couple of deaths so far where someone lost control of their 49cc monster. I'll find links and edit back!

As far as I know lots of places in Indiana will let you ride your quad/UTV in around town as long as it has been registered with DNR($10-20) I know Vermilion and Fountain county will allow you to ride on the streets as long as all traffic signs and rules are followed.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    It's the way it is... I've brought this up in a class and what I was told was "You have no right to drive a car or any vehicle, you have the privilage"...

There is a serious problem with these things here in Terre Haute. I fairly sure there has been a couple of deaths so far where someone lost control of their 49cc monster. I'll find links and edit back!

As far as I know lots of places in Indiana will let you ride your quad/UTV in around town as long as it has been registered with DNR($10-20) I know Vermilion and Fountain county will allow you to ride on the streets as long as all traffic signs and rules are followed.

Not here.:noway:

You have to have a badge and blue berries and cherrys to ride a quad on the road here.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    When I was 14, I had a yamaha scooter that I rode back and forth to work. Always stayed at the side of the road so everyone can pass me. I totally agree with the OP. There should be an age limit, and there should be some sort of law saying all mopeds should have insurance. What happenes when one crashes into your car? Who pays for that? It's stupid that there's no regulations. I'm tired of these damned kids riding around on sidewalks with them.

As for 4-wheelers, around here you can't ride them on the road. Unless you're a farmer, then you can on county roads. Not legally, but they can do whatever they want cause their farmers.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Its a good way to cleanse the idiots from the gene pool. If your stupid enough to cut people off on a 49cc scooter than............. (you can fill in the last part).

Yeah, just watched a "tool" (I use that term with all due affection) go down
    a merge onto a highway, cross 2 lanes of traffic on said highway, almost
    plow into the back of a semi and dart left at the last minute to cut across
    a median, cross 2 more lanes of oncoming traffic to pull into a gas station.

If there had been a car in the turn lane to the left of the semi
    (scooter boy in no way could have seen it in time before he darted out)
    hilarity would have ensued. SPLAT! :laugh:

Brown

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Nope. Dont agree that they should be tagged and registered. I think there should be some age limit but not left up to the state but the parents. If they are in an accident and cause damage to someone elses personal property the parents or the adult themsleves riding should be financialy responsible for compensation. If you don't need a license and registration to ride a bicycle on a legal roadway (yet) then i think the same should apply here.I dont care for them bussing past without regard for anyone else but if we weren't in a lawyer happy society the gene pool would thin out fairly quick

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    I completely agree and the state was thinking about this last year but the alcoholics threw such a fit that nothing came of it. the only moped problem in bloomington are all the DUI mopeders.
    I call em lifers, as in the driver of the retard mobile is a person who has generally lost their license for life. Way to go Hancock County.:noway:

Top Bottom