Montana state bill would reestablish citizen militias.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    Looks like Montana is leading the way again with a bill designed to bring our country back to one the one the Founding Fathers envisioned! :rockwoot: A Montana state rep has introduced a bill that would reestablish militias under the name of "home guards." These home guards would answer to the Montana governor, their local sheriff, and be used for state level emergencies. Please read the story before commenting on the thread so you know the background. I like it a LOT and I don't even live in Montana! :):

Here is a link to the story: http://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/montana/article_a89289b0-30a0-11e0-b588-001cc4c002e0.html

Moderators: I chose the 2nd Amendment forum because of the reference to citizen militias. If not appropriate, please move to the General Politics. Thanks

Last edited:

Deprime

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Hancock Co.
    I will be very interested to see how this plays out. After reading the article I agree that it would be a great idea. I hope this kind of thinking will spread to other states as well.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    The leftists always worry about "abuse" taking place when something conservative is thought of, when they are in fact "masters" of abuse in the Federal government and generate the need for these things like this and the suspicion of government in the first place.

What part of "this is our country" don't they understand? Who gives a crap what they think!

Go Montana! More power to ya!:patriot:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Looking at Montana, it's a pretty big state with a relatively small population and a relatively low population density. It's a lot easier to maintain the independent mindset when you don't have a whole lot of neighbors. I like this idea, but it wouldn't play as well in, say, Chicago, or even Indianapolis, as it would downstate in Illinois or Indiana.

SKSnut

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Seems like a good idea to me especially with the National Guard spread thin out of country.

yes it does. why is the NG out of the country? Shouldn't it be just that- our national guard? while our forces are occupied overseas, what do we have left here. not much.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Montana legislators seem to have a lot things on their plate. Not sure I care for this one, tho. I see where folks would be enamoured with it, as some sort panacea for 2nd Amendment ills, but it isn't. And it shouldn't be tied together. Militias have as much to do with gun rights as the printing press does with free speech. Tying them together gives your enemy power and ads yet another limitation on your argument. Under an unfriendly administration this plan can be used to deny firearms to people.

GeneralCarver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Oh my God! This is great to see this. THIS is the 2nd Amendment in action people. We need to support them and we need this in Indiana! If we want to insure that Constitutional governance is preserved in our States, we have to be ready to defend it and this is a step in the right direction!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Indiana has its Constitution, Article XII:

Section 1. A militia shall be provided and shall consist of all persons over the age of seventeen (17) years, except those persons who may be exempted by the laws of the United States or of this state. The militia may be divided into active and inactive classes and consist of such military organizations as may be provided by law.

Antelope08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2010
    New Palestine
    :n00b::n00b::n00b::n00b:

LOL!!!
    Have you seen these guys?!

In reference to the Indiana Guard Reserve, yes I have seen these guys and I actually know some of them. Most are prior military. To make light of them is to not know what they do. First of, they VOLUNTEER their personal time and many times finances to assist others. They have contributed greatly to the deployment of troops from Camp Attebury that are getting ready to go to Iraq and Afgan. They are also Military Emergency Management trained and are part of the Indiana Homeland Security.

Yes, many are older and not the fine young specimans they once were, but that does not take away from their committment to help others.

I take offense when those that do not volunteer make light of those that do. As an adult member of the Boy Scouts of America and volunteer countless hours of my time and have been ridiculed for "wearing that uniform."

Stand up and dedicate of yourself before you make light of those that care enough to give of themselves.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    No one on the Supreme Court bit on that. The States would be incorrect as a matter of law.:D

Perpich v. Department of Defense - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Not arguing against you Kirk. The truth however is generally either ignored, or misrepresented by many of the Masses...

I personally think the State needs to have it's own Free Standing Militia away from the National Guard and away from Federal Involvement...

In reference to the Indiana Guard Reserve, yes I have seen these guys and I actually know some of them. Most are prior military. To make light of them is to not know what they do. First of, they VOLUNTEER their personal time and many times finances to assist others. They have contributed greatly to the deployment of troops from Camp Attebury that are getting ready to go to Iraq and Afgan. They are also Military Emergency Management trained and are part of the Indiana Homeland Security.

Yes, many are older and not the fine young specimans they once were, but that does not take away from their committment to help others.

I know of them and what they do and attempt to do and probably as well or better than you do...

I take offense when those that do not volunteer make light of those that do. As an adult member of the Boy Scouts of America and volunteer countless hours of my time and have been ridiculed for "wearing that uniform."

Stand up and dedicate of yourself before you make light of those that care enough to give of themselves.

OK, I was going to be civil until I got to this last little line...

Antelope, if you want to step off your pedestal and talk we can. Besides I think I have dedicated Myself quite effectively to the Good of My Family, My Community, My County, My State, and My Country.

Congrats on being an Adult Member of the Boy Scouts oh boy...
    I have spent OVER 20+ years Wearing the Uniform of my State and Country. Over half of that into Harm's Way. If I want to laugh at a group, I will. They are a Poor excuse for what they could, and SHOULD be. They are supposed to be the Home Guard, WTH are they going to Defend or Protect?!

Antelope08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2010
    New Palestine
    Not arguing against you Kirk. The truth however is generally either ignored, or misrepresented by many of the Masses...

I personally think the State needs to have it's own Free Standing Militia away from the National Guard and away from Federal Involvement...

I know of them and what they do and attempt to do and probably as well or better than you do...

OK, I was going to be civil until I got to this last little line...

Antelope, if you want to step off your pedestal and talk we can. Besides I think I have dedicated Myself quite effectively to the Good of My Family, My Community, My County, My State, and My Country.

Congrats on being an Adult Member of the Boy Scouts oh boy...
    I have spent OVER 20+ years Wearing the Uniform of my State and Country. Over half of that into Harm's Way. If I want to laugh at a group, I will. They are a Poor excuse for what they could, and SHOULD be. They are supposed to be the Home Guard, WTH are they going to Defend or Protect?!

Again with the making light of volunteers. I appreciate that you served in the military as did I. So, I do not get making fun of pepole that volunteer their time, effort and many time money to help others. As for being in the Boy Scouts I do this to spend quality time with my son and I voulnteer to train other adults to become better leaders to participate in an organization that still believes in God and Country. As for the IGR, again many of them spent time in the Military, and many are retired from the Military so they also did their time. They perform as volunteers to help fellow Hoosiers, the train in emergency management, they assist with large public functions to relieve some burden from law enforcement, they help train ROTC and help with deployment of Guard and active duty units. So go ahead and laugh, its still a free country. If you fell the IGR is a poor excuse then jion up and show them how to do it better.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Again with the making light of volunteers. I appreciate that you served in the military as did I.
    I also Volunteer in Several Organizations .
    Whoopee do... ;)
    So, I do not get making fun of pepole that volunteer their time, effort and many time money to help others. As for being in the Boy Scouts I do this to spend quality time with my son and I voulnteer to train other adults to become better leaders to participate in an organization that still believes in God and Country.
    Again Congrats...
    I could care less and it is not relevant to this discussion.
    As for the IGR, again many of them spent time in the Military, and many are retired from the Military so they also did their time. They perform as volunteers to help fellow Hoosiers, the train in emergency management, they assist with large public functions to relieve some burden from law enforcement, they help train ROTC and help with deployment of Guard and active duty units. So go ahead and laugh, its still a free country. If you fell the IGR is a poor excuse then jion up and show them how to do it better.

The IGR is a Poor excuse for what they are meant to be...
    Communities also Volunteer to help each other out all the time...
    EMA has People who are paid and funded to work there...
    The ROTC Program has Officers and NCOs tasked by both the Active, Reserve, and the National Guard to Instruct and Mentor Cadets...
    As far as helping with deployments, care packages are great lots of groups send them...
    So what are they really helping out doing?!

The are meant to be the Home Guard. The Last Line. Can they do that now?! No. Not even in the least. How are the going to do that?! They have no equipment except what is borrowed from other Groups. Which is often needed by the Groups that were forced to co-opt the equipment to the IGR. They cannot and never will be with the way they are setup and tasked. Whose fault is that?! The current Members of the IGR. The are another example of something that has been allowed to be corrupted once again by Government.

Join Up in the IGR, let me think about it...
    No. I would rather Push to have it disbanded as it is a waste of resources of Several Organizations I do Work in...

Do not take this as I am not in Support of Volunteers or Militias. I am just not going to Support groups like the IGR, I have had to work with or around them far to often.

Top Bottom