• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Another Colts record, albeit this one is dubious at best.

Since record keeping began, no NFL team has won a game with LESS time of possession than the Colts did tonight. LESS than 15 minutes of possession!

paintball_addiction

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    183   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    SW of Indy
    Was I the only one who got really tired of the biased commentary? I'd be completely happy to never hear the word "wildcat" ever again. And Freeney was getting held and facemasked quite a bit with no calls.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    Was I the only one who got really tired of the biased commentary? I'd be completely happy to never hear the word "wildcat" ever again. And Freeney was getting held and facemasked quite a bit with no calls.

It wasn't until the end of the game that those three kuckleheads realized that Miami was not going to win as they had been promoting all night long. At one point, I turned to my wife and asked "Are these guys watching the same game as we are?"

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Doesn't that wear out the Defense?

It sure as heck does. Kudos to the D for stepping up when it counted last night.

My college team wasn't exactly an offensive powerhouse, and our TOP was usually under 20minutes a game. I was on Defense, so the result was a ton of time on the field. Any time you push 40+ minutes a game, you really start to fatigue rapidly, no matter how good of shape you are in.

Add to that the sheer number of offensive plays you have to defend. Odds are usually in favor of the offense, so eventually they'll find a weakness in the D.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    It wasn't until the end of the game that those three kuckleheads realized that Miami was not going to win as they had been promoting all night long. At one point, I turned to my wife and asked "Are these guys watching the same game as we are?"

Glad to see that I wasnt the only one that wanted to reach thru the TV and grab that idiot in the middle that said "WILDCAT" in every sentance !!!!

And how dominating the Dolphins and the wildcat option is.... yes, they hung onto the ball, but all Peyton needs is 32 seconds to score a TD... 14 points in less than 1 minute (combined time) ... thats DOMINATING !!!!

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    I've never heard that you win football games based on clock time. I was taught that whoever had scored more points wins the game. I guess I'm just old fashioned that way.:cool:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I teach my 5th and 6th grader football teams a couple of basic fundamental rules:

1) If the other team doesn't score, they cannot win.
    2) As a result of #1, if we score, we win.
    3) It isn't whether you win or lose....it is weather you win, and by how much. If that didn't matter, they wouldn't have scoreboards. We win by how we play the game. Whoever said that it isn't whether you win or lose, but how you play the game, obviously didn't win very often.

I can't take credit fro #3, but also don't know where I picked up the gist of that quote. Some of it is lifted from some Lombardi stuff I've read. But as you say Dryden, the only thing that matters at the end, is who has the most points.

paintball_addiction

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    183   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    SW of Indy
    If the defense is out there for a long time and supposedly get tired, isn't the same true for the offense they are facing? They have been out just as long. Just something I've always thought.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    If the defense is out there for a long time and supposedly get tired, isn't the same true for the offense they are facing? They have been out just as long. Just something I've always thought.

It is true to an extent. The big guys in the middle on the line usually do wear down. The advantage the offense has is they can control the pace. So, they can run the 2 minute drill, or they can go slow and take time for subs.

The tough part is that the defense is always guessing, and subbing is a bit harder during the course of play.

This is why you'll see the Colts and a lot of other teams on offense switch up between the hurry up, and the "muddle" offense that takes more of the play clock. And why you'll also see a few "quick snaps" to catch the other team in the middle of a substitution with too many men on the field.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis

Good point. If it is a Hurry-up offence, they too have got to feel the effects.... they can't substitute and the big guys still have to go mano a mano. But, it's those darn little guys. You just can't wear them out. They keep running & running. Ever notice that towards the end, it's all passes until they're in field goal range?
    Unless they run the ball right up the middle. So, in concusion, the offence will either pass or run.
    (There, I think I covered all the bases AND my butt.:D)

Top Bottom