• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    /

I have never even heard of any of those things. Maybe that is the crisis?

Anyways, I was able to pull my boat out of storage, and tomorrow I will put my highly modified motor back on it. Was looking to break 100 mph and I think I might make it this year.

As soon as I do that, if I do that, I will list it for sale and buy another project. Seems the faster you go, the faster you want to go. And if I am going to be isolated, or quarantined or whatever they are going to call it (shelter in place sounds so freaking stupid) I need something to work on. Oh well, that's just me.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    /

I have never even heard of any of those things. Maybe that is the crisis?

Anyways, I was able to pull my boat out of storage, and tomorrow I will put my highly modified motor back on it. Was looking to break 100 mph and I think I might make it this year.

As soon as I do that, if I do that, I will list it for sale and buy another project. Seems the faster you go, the faster you want to go. And if I am going to be isolated, or quarantined or whatever they are going to call it (shelter in place sounds so freaking stupid) I need something to work on. Oh well, that's just me.

No. That is not just you. I am in the same mode although I stopped searching for speed a few years ago. I found my limits. And they were set by my "WALLET"....sorry I just had to.

Interested in this boat engine combo.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    No. That is not just you. I am in the same mode although I stopped searching for speed a few years ago. I found my limits. And they were set by my "WALLET"....sorry I just had to.

Interested in this boat engine combo.

My limits were set by close calls and problems with the law. Close calls on the bike, the bike I still have. Tickets from the law in so many creative ways, it would make your head spin. The bike I still have and will never part with it voluntarily. 1974 Harley and nothing better then pulling up to a couple of modern day "barstool" bikers with their stage whatever dealer installed kits, and just totally leaving them in the dust. The look on their face is priceless.

As far as the boat, have had many, starting when I was 18. Parents almost always had one up until that point. This is my third fast boat. Speed progresses as they go, own two now. The fast one is a Hydrostream Viper. 15' with a 200 v-6 merc. When I bought it, it had an inline 6 merc 115 hp. I immediately cut the core, floor and transom out of it when I got it. I did not put a floor back into it to save weight. I also converted it to a single chair center steer to balance it out. People can ride with me, but not at speed. I also converted it to portable fuel tanks of which I use 6 gallons. Can carry whatever, but usually only go out with a full and a partial in case.

The core I replaced with Balsa and epoxy, the transom with coosa board and epoxy. Coosa is synthetic, epoxy is supposedly better the polyester, which was factory, or so I read, so that is why I went this way. The core is supposed to be best in Balsa, again, just what I have read, so what I did. After I was done with this, I flipped the boat over and straightened out the last 6 feet of the hull and sharpened all of the strakes and trailing edges.

The motor was mostly stock as of last fall. I had replaced the reeds, lapped the cages, and port matched the cages to manifold, manifold to block, and of course re-jetted to accommodate the changes in flow. I also added intake stuffers to reduce crankcase volume and had the heads cut where I was running 140 psi, about the most you can safely go on pump gas available around here. Hit 92 last season on GPS.

This off season, I brought the motor down to a builder in TX. He changed port timing, did his magic on the ports and exhaust and installed an offshore midsection. While he did not have a dyno, the estimate is at 260 for hp while moving the rpm about 750 to the right. That should put me just shy of 110 with the right prop and setup.

I know that is not that fast compared to what I have gone in cars or on bikes. But in a boat, it makes one feel as though you are on the edge of destruction, and in a way, you are. My next boat after this will be a tunnel hull. With that the sky is the limits with the power that is available now a days, from the factory, with a warranty.

Viper Page

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A friend had a Viper when we had boats. It was silly fast. Just did not like the rough.

I have had a string of very fast Harleys once I got out of the insanity that is Jap scrapping. The last one left in 03 when we went back to Drag racing. That bike and rider are both gone. People tend not to know their limits once reached sadly.
    I had a lot of time and money in that bike. I regret his demise of course but drinking and pulling the trigger on serious HP is never ever a good mix.
    That was and will be my last bike. Time and experience have sent me in other directions.

This was the end of the fast in line 4's.
    oJCEFA5.jpg

In proper tune this would run mid 10's all day long at sea level.
    Etv3qUs.jpg

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    A friend had a Viper when we had boats. It was silly fast. Just did not like the rough.

I have had a string of very fast Harleys once I got out of the insanity that is Jap scrapping. The last one left in 03 when we went back to Drag racing. That bike and rider are both gone. People tend not to know their limits once reached sadly.
    I had a lot of time and money in that bike. I regret his demise of course but drinking and pulling the trigger on serious HP is never ever a good mix.
    That was and will be my last bike. Time and experience have sent me in other directions.

This was the end of the fast in line 4's.
    oJCEFA5.jpg

In proper tune this would run mid 10's all day long at sea level.
    Etv3qUs.jpg

Those are some bad looking machines. Was never really into the jap bikes, but know how fast they are. Fastest I have ridden was a Hyabusa that was geared down, pipe and intake mods along with efi re-calibrate. The thing I never liked about jap bikes was that they were so smooth, it was hard to tell how fast you are going. 3 gears into it and you are over 120, and do not even realize it. Harley's are an entirely different story.

I have had a few Harleys. Twin Cams, Evo's, Shovel, Ironhead. The one thing they all had in common, you knew how fast you were going. The torque and vibration were dead give away's. Mine were only naturally aspirated, but they were fast. I always had the heads worked and flowed to match the cams and pistons I was running. Dyno tune after a break in, except for the shovels. Nobody would take them as they were kick start only. The tuners were busy selling to the barstool bikers that were only concerned about peak hp #'s to brag about compared to actually running what they had.

Motorcycles are a dying sport in my area. The young have no interest. The older crowd is gravitating towards the modern day dune buggies. Used Harleys with 5k in add on chrome are going for pennies on the dollar by me. The only downside to that is I really do not want to ride much anymore. Everyone on cell-phones, tailgating. No thanks. I am not afraid to die, but I do not want to go today.

Nice bikes, BTW. Love that Springer.

Top Bottom