• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spyder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Well, too bad that she didn't get a clear shot, and take it. Hmmmm.... A shotgun... Yet another example why a shotty is not a good HD gun, if she had to use it, her kiddo would have been hit too. At least she had a firearm though. :yesway:

spyder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    This reminds me of this picture.
    294470_337044809723362_1665080357_n.jpg

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    Hmmmm.... A shotgun... Yet another example why a shotty is not a good HD gun, if she had to use it, her kiddo would have been hit too. At least she had a firearm though. :yesway:

Why is that? She could have hit her kid with a handgun round just as easily. A shotgun doesn't fire a wall of pellets, and in normal "room sized" distances, buckshot doesn't expand to more than a couple inches at the most.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    It's a shame she wasn't able to shoot him. I hope the next mom or dad shoots his sorry a*s if he tries this again. It's scary when they want to steal your kids. I'd almost be inclined to shoot him once the kid was safe to make sure he couldn't come back and get her.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    It's a shame she wasn't able to shoot him. I hope the next mom or dad shoots his sorry a*s if he tries this again. It's scary when they want to steal your kids. I'd almost be inclined to shoot him once the kid was safe to make sure he couldn't come back and get her.

I agree.

spyder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Why is that? She could have hit her kid with a handgun round just as easily. A shotgun doesn't fire a wall of pellets, and in normal "room sized" distances, buckshot doesn't expand to more than a couple inches at the most.
    Ya... Only if she were using shot in her handgun... Do you know the distance she was at in the house? Location? She was most likely across a room from the guy given the time they guy had to move, and she had to go get her shotty. I'm betting they were not close. Shot patterns can be affected by the load, pellet size, wad type, barrel length, and choke of the shotgun. At 5 feet away, you have can have a 2 inch hole... but you can also get 4 depending on what set up you have (out of the standard 18" barrel). Then you get into a distance of 10 to 15 feet, and you could be looking at a foot. I'm not saying that those spreads are normal, but they have happened, and I wouldn't risk it. I'm sorry, but a single bullet is a lot better, especially when you only want to hit a certain object and noting around it.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    Her shotgun would have been fine because she was close. Have some of you ever shot a shotgun? She decided not to shoot.

Most likely she had a pump that was not loaded, because according to the story "she cocked her shotgun several times."

Nice.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Just throwing this out there, the pellets typically don't seperate from the wad until it is around 6ft from the muzzle ( according to my criminal evidence class ). So under 6ft there should be no "spread".

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Just throwing this out there, the pellets typically don't seperate from the wad until it is around 6ft from the muzzle ( according to my criminal evidence class ). So under 6ft there should be no "spread".
    Please do not cloud opinion with facts! Everyone knows a shotgun will blow a hole the size of a basketball in anything in front of it!! I see it on the movies all the time. :D

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Please do not cloud opinion with facts! Everyone knows a shotgun will blow a hole the size of a basketball in anything in front of it!! I see it on the movies all the time. :D

True that...Not only will it blow a HUGE whole in someone but it will also lift them up and pull them back roughly 4-6 feet before putting them through a glass window flat on their back. I need me one of them shotguns. The rabbits I shot just kind of folded when I hit them with a 12 gauge. I need me an "action movie" 12 gauge..

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    Ya... Only if she were using shot in her handgun... Do you know the distance she was at in the house? Location? She was most likely across a room from the guy given the time they guy had to move, and she had to go get her shotty. I'm betting they were not close. Shot patterns can be affected by the load, pellet size, wad type, barrel length, and choke of the shotgun. At 5 feet away, you have can have a 2 inch hole... but you can also get 4 depending on what set up you have (out of the standard 18" barrel). Then you get into a distance of 10 to 15 feet, and you could be looking at a foot. I'm not saying that those spreads are normal, but they have happened, and I wouldn't risk it. I'm sorry, but a single bullet is a lot better, especially when you only want to hit a certain object and noting around it.

Then slugs are your friend.

Top Bottom