• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    So this happened in Florida. Are we in agreement that in Indiana you would not be arrested for this??

Do you think a person should be arrested for over powering another individual, pinning them down, forcing caustic substances in their mouth, forcing them to hold these chemicals in their mouth for 10 minutes until they vomit, and then releasing them to a hospital? Seems kind of cut and dry doesn't it?

Last edited:

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Do you think a person should be arrested for over powering another individual, pinning them down, forcing caustic substances in their mouth, forcing them to hold these chemicals in their mouth for 10 minutes until they vomit, and then releasing them to a hospital? Seems kind of cut and dry doesn't it?

Depends on how they did it. Kid puking because of the taste of the soap? Big deal, live and learn, don't do it again. Kid puking because they're shoving soap too far into the kids mouth and forcing them to choke on it? Not a good one.

Would you arrest someone for forcing them down over their knee, taking a belt, and beating their bottom until it was beet red? Maybe.

Two things to consider, and they may be odd to consider: 1) Parents should be allowed to do it, so long as it's not obviously over-zealous and so long as the punishment is for the crime.
    2) Some folks just like that kind of stuff and do it for recreation, should we arrest them too?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    ...I remember a time, I must have been 8 or 9....I came out and told them I was going to report them for beating me (my mom and step-dad, that is). You know what they did? They laughed in my face for it....

My daughter tried that line once. I picked up the phone and said, "Would you like me to dial the number for you?"

It's lots of fun when the only answer they have left is.... "oh."

Oh, and my parents' choice was "Lava".

Blessings,
    Bill

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I think in Indiana that we are still okay for now, but I have heard of cases where the parents went through hell before the charges were dismissed. It doesn't matter if you're right or not if they bankrupt you in the process.

Good to see the wackos are coming out for this thread. I sometimes worry about them when they stay under that rock for too long.

Do you think it is a coincidence that the incidence of juvenile violence has gone way up as we have stopped beating sense in to our children.

Please note, I know there is a difference in abuse and discipline and I am talking about discipline so the term beating was used metaphorically.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    I can count on one hand the amount of times I had soap put in my mouth. I can also count on one hand the number of times I was turned over a knee and given a good spanking. This doesn't count swats on the butt, hand smacked with a spoon or a smack to the mouth.

I can honestly say that it did not occur enough. It could have saved me a lot of trouble and some regret had my parents been more heavy handed with me.

:twocents: of advice to other parents. For what it's worth always tell and show(hug/kiss) your children that you love them. Especially after dolling out some good discipline.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Oh wait I think he might be serious. :dunno:

Isn't that what happened?

On a lighter note, these stories along with the topic of spanking are always extreme hot button issues. No one, myself most certainly included, likes to be told how they should parent or the actions they are taking as a parent are wrong. Then you get the people who have no children weighing in on the subject and all hell breaks loose.

Personally, no, I don't think anyone should be arrested in this scenario. In my perfect wrap up to this case, the attending doctor at the hospital and possibly the responding LE, although this would certainly fall outside of their job description, would have approached the father and offered up a conversation along the lines of...."Look we want parents be parents and discipline how they see fit. That said, you had to bring your daughter to the hospital because she was vomiting from your last round of discipline. Lets be careful about how far we take things and remember to maintain a level head when administering discipline. Look, there is now a "file" created concerning this incident. The next time something like this happens, it will be more difficult for the powers that be to look the other way. Discipline should not equate to trips to the ER. Here is your bill."

jstwrit

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    May 11, 2009
    N.E.
    The Bible doesn't mention soap...

Prov. 23:
    13 Do not withhold discipline from a child;
    if you punish him with the rod, he will not die.
    14 Punish him with the rod
    and save his soul from death.

The rod seems to work when needed. I'll stick with it. I hate wasting soap and it is so expensive!

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I think in Indiana that we are still okay for now, but I have heard of cases where the parents went through hell before the charges were dismissed. It doesn't matter if you're right or not if they bankrupt you in the process.

Good to see the wackos are coming out for this thread. I sometimes worry about them when they stay under that rock for too long.

Do you think it is a coincidence that the incidence of juvenile violence has gone way up as we have stopped beating sense in to our children.

Please note, I know there is a difference in abuse and discipline and I am talking about discipline so the term beating was used metaphorically.

I'm assuming the whacko comment was directed at me since I disagree with the act of induced vomiting through the introduction of chemicals that requires medical attention as an acceptable form of punishment. Like I said earlier though, no one needs to spend a night in the clinck over this scenario. It would be neat to be inside the head of the boyfriend who took the girl to the hospital. Do you think he did it because he thought she was actually sick and needed the services of an ER doctor, or that maybe he felt a little guilty for allowing the mother (I think the article said he just stood and watched) choke the girl with chemicals until she vomitted? Obviously, we will never know.

Like I said, I certainly do not appreciate people, particularly those without chlidren, telling me how to parent my childeren. On the flip side, I think a lot of discipline is simply doled out because the parent is mad and has lost control of the situation. It does bother me when I see a parent, who is red in the face, screaming, and equally as distraught as the kid, start wailing on childs backside while standing in line at Wally World. I don't think a lot of actual learing comes out of those situations. Present your case to the kid while stressing the cause/effect relationship of why they are being disciplined and adminster a calm, contolled discipline. Kids can really test your patience. All of us with them certainly know that. This all sounds nice and rosey as I type it as well, but we all know its not a cut and dry in real life.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    My daughter tried that line once. I picked up the phone and said, "Would you like me to dial the number for you?"

Blessings,
    Bill
    I handed mine the phone and told him to tell the 911 operator to have the ambulance bring a body bag. He said, "why"? I told him if I was going to jail I was going for a better reason than for busting his a**. He just hung up the phone and went to his room. :):

Irish Spring was the worst... ;) I only got the soap a couple of times. I don't ever recall the old man disciplining us...or even raising his voice...it was the fear factor. :eek: My mom took care of that. She made us cut our own switch...and don't you dare bring back some little twig of a stick. :):

We all lived through it. :yesway:

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    When you can not discipline your child anymore the child runs you, I hope the judge throws the whole thing out!! I would have gladly eat the soap, I got a swat across the butt with the belt! and I deserved everyone I got.

Apokalypsi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Speedway
    Between the leather belt and the LIQUID soap (definitely worse than bar. It never comes off your toungue), my parents could go to jail for life if the police are arresting people for something so stupid.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Irish Spring was the worst... ;) I only got the soap a couple of times. I don't ever recall the old man disciplining us...or even raising his voice...it was the fear factor. :eek: My mom took care of that. She made us cut our own switch...and don't you dare bring back some little twig of a stick. :):

We all lived through it. :yesway:

That's like having to dig your own grave before getting whacked by the mob!

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008

Blessings,
    Bill

I'm still waiting for the day my kids use that line. It may not be much longer with my whiny 10y/o. She cowers everytime I go up to her when she's in trouble, but it's not because of anything I've done to her. We suspect that her dad's beaten her before when he gets irrate. He's beaten all his Ex-Girlfriends and has a violent history. But she knows when we're upset and we've finally broken her of lying when she knows she's in trouble. Lying about piddly things is another story.

You think "Lava" was bad, you shoulda had to try liquid AJAX... :puke:

I can honestly say that it did not occur enough. It could have saved me a lot of trouble and some regret had my parents been more heavy handed with me.

:twocents: of advice to other parents. For what it's worth always tell and show(hug/kiss) your children that you love them. Especially after dolling out some good discipline.

:+1: to that! GREAT advice!

Isn't that what happened?

On a lighter note, these stories along with the topic of spanking are always extreme hot button issues. No one, myself most certainly included, likes to be told how they should parent or the actions they are taking as a parent are wrong. Then you get the people who have no children weighing in on the subject and all hell breaks loose.

There is certainly a fine line between discipline and abuse, but I don't see that the line was crossed here. Soap is not harmful unless you dump the bottle down the childs throat. A bar of soap in the mouth for ten minutes? Sounds like the kid was a SERIOUS smartass and deserved it. I know a few kids in my neighborhood that could use that.

I believe in leaving people to punish their kids as necessary. If you don't do it at all, I hope the kids kicks your butt when you get older. :): (Not directed at anyone in paticular) But I also believe that the punishment should fit the crime and that NO ONE should be afraid to punish their kids in public.

Humility is rarely taught anywhere else.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I believe in leaving people to punish their kids as necessary. If you don't do it at all, I hope the kids kicks your butt when you get older. :): (Not directed at anyone in paticular) But I also believe that the punishment should fit the crime and that NO ONE should be afraid to punish their kids in public.

Humility is rarely taught anywhere else.

Hey, thats a fact of life we all have to live with. Someday my boy will be able to whoop my a**.....well, at least I hope.... his mother IS pushing soccer. His ascension to manhood is complete, he is now granted permission from the family elders to leave the tribe and venture out on his own. :)

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Hey, thats a fact of life we all have to live with. Someday my boy will be able to whoop my a**.....well, I hope his mother is pushing soccer. His ascension to manhood is complete, he is now granted permission from the family elders to leave the tribe and venture out on his own. :)

Permission??!!?!?!?! When MY kids turn 18, barring any unforseen circumstances (I.E. KIDS), I'm booting their butts out the door! :laugh: Maybe. :)

RockCreekRelics

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    When I was about 8 years old my buddy and I got caught yelling a very foul word across the street at a mean old lady that lived by us. At the time I didn't even know what the word meant but it sounded good enough coming out of my buddies mouth to convince me that it was a good idea to join him lol.About an hour after this incident my mother washed my mouth out with soap so well that to this day I never use profanity of any sort in front of women and VERY rarely among men.I wasn't glad at the time that she did it but now that I am grown I am glad she used the means that she did.Plain and simple.... It works. I think in the case of the Florida couple that ten minutes of that type of punishment is probably a bit much but it's hard to judge a situation if you were not there and only have a media report to go by.It is a tough thing to discipline your children when you love them but a stomach ache now may save your child a lot of headaches and heartaches later in life.I discipline my children because I love them.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I'm assuming the whacko comment was directed at me since I disagree with the act of induced vomiting through the introduction of chemicals that requires medical attention as an acceptable form of punishment. Like I said earlier though, no one needs to spend a night in the clinck over this scenario. It would be neat to be inside the head of the boyfriend who took the girl to the hospital. Do you think he did it because he thought she was actually sick and needed the services of an ER doctor, or that maybe he felt a little guilty for allowing the mother (I think the article said he just stood and watched) choke the girl with chemicals until she vomitted? Obviously, we will never know.

I honestly missed the part where she was vomiting and hospitalized. I don't advocate that. I took it as just another case of the Government interfering with parents raising their kids. Honestly I skimmed through.

Like I said, I certainly do not appreciate people, particularly those without chlidren, telling me how to parent my childeren.

I'm assuming that is directed at me as well, and I am not advocating anybody raise your kids but you. I am against unnecessary state intervention.

:chillpill:

Last edited:

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    There is certainly a fine line between discipline and abuse, but I don't see that the line was crossed here. Soap is not harmful unless you dump the bottle down the childs throat. A bar of soap in the mouth for ten minutes? Sounds like the kid was a SERIOUS smartass and deserved it. I know a few kids in my neighborhood that could use that.

I just watched the video that accompanies the OP's link. They interview a representative from the local P.D. She states that detectives from the special victims unit conducted an investigation and concluded that this act "went way beyond discipline" and is being considered "malicious torture". Apparently the mother didn't take her to the ER immediately, despite a swollen airway, and forced the girl to clean up her own vomit. I guess, after who knows how long had passed, the parent and her boyfriend decided that the labored breathing of the child was actually a medical concern. I rescend my previous statement, something needs to be done to the parents. However, jail and removal of the child from the home aren't going to teach the child how to behave or teach the parent's how to administer effective discipline.

Top Bottom