• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which one would you still consider buying?

• Total voters

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    .32 NAA, .327 Magnum, .357 Sig, .41 Magnum, 10mm, .45 GAP...

Any hope left? For the 10mm, an amazing auto-loader cartridge when loaded to its potential, I would have to think yes but its time has come and gone for widespread acceptance.

The idea of the .327 is interesting... also the necked .32 NAA and .357 Sig. Still, without mass public support, the cartridges aren't produced en masse and the manufacturers don't build the gun.

If you were going shopping tomorrow, would you consider one of the above? Which one?

Last edited:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I'd love to pick up a .327 Magnum, particularly a 3" SP101. You get six shots instead of five, power roughly equivilent to a midrange .357 Magnum or 9mm +P+, and the ability to use 4 different cartridges.

I could also be talked into a Blackhawk... I think the .327 has a lot of potential as a small game gun. Somebody REALLY needs to make a nice little hunting rifle for this round!

It's not dead yet. It was just getting started when the "great ammo shortage of '09" hampered ammo availability. I'm hoping that the loss of momentum hasn't doomed it. We've got a lot of ammo in, and I've been getting a lot of questions about the round.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I think most of the people shooting 357 Sig probably have a .40 S&W that they can swap the barrel in.

I think Ted Nugent could singlehandedly keep the manufacturers making 10mm

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I would consider 10mm, since there's still a pretty good variety of factory loads available, and I can reload it using my existing .40S&W dies.

From a retail standpoint, the only calibers on that list I see selling with any frequency are 10mm and .357SIG. The .45GAP is still clinging to life against all odds, the .327 Fed Mag showed some promise but has yet to really get off the ground, the .41 Mag has long since come and gone, and the .32NAA never had a prayer.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I actually see .357sig at WalMart sometimes. I've thought about buying it when I see it and then picking up a low priced pistol someday.

I haven't seen it there in some time, and I've been looking!! (Have a M&P 357) I check the Walmart near my place every few days, with no luck.

That said, I don't know I'd call it dead. There are plenty of Federal Agencies and Police Departments that have adopted it.

10mm is all kinds of awesome. I miss my Glock 20. I have my Dillon SDB setup for 10mm right now, so if I were going shopping tomorrow, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another G20. It is closer to dead than 357 Sig though.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I'm telling you. If they stopped making 10mm, Ted Nugent would bludgeon a pile of babies with a sack of puppies.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Yeah 41 mag died a long time ago. It is a great round but the PDs were afraid of the people hearing MAGNUM and thinking Dirty Harry. But the real nail in the coffin for the 41 was the high capacity 9mm.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    .32 NAA, .327 Magnum, .357 Sig, .41 Magnum, 10mm, .45 GAP...

Any hope left? For the 10mm, an amazing auto-loader cartridge when loaded to its potential, I would have to think yes but its time has come and gone for widespread acceptance.

The idea of the .327 is interesting... also the necked .32 NAA and .357 Sig. Still, without mass public support, the cartridges aren't produced en masse and the manufacturers don't build the gun.

If you were going shopping tomorrow, would you consider one of the above? Which one?
    My 10mm is great for EDC, works well on bowling pins, steel, and wild hogs too. I have several Glocks, and two Ruger Revolvers. Loads are easy, cast bullet are cheap, and you can load them up or down as needed.

I hunt with a Ruger 41 Mag (Blackhawk), Taurus and Smith/Wesson have nice revolvers available too. I cast bullets and load them myself, the 41 Mag is plenty for whitetails, and several manufacturers have rifles available for the 41 Magnum also. I hunt and shoot with several that carry 41 Magnums and 44 Specials.

If you ever want to fire a few, let me know.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Didn't vote because I do not own any of the firearms that would use those cartridges. I almost bought a 41 Magnum revolver recently until I looked for ammo and it is non existent. 357 Sig or the 10 MM could be an option

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I shoot 10mm out of autos and revolvers. It's a great cartridge and the 40 Short n Weak can be shot from the revolvers as well. Also shoot the .357 Sig out of a G33 and Sig P229. Another great caliber and fun to shoot. Surprised you didn't list the .38 Super. It has been called dead for a while but I enjoy shooting it and I can carry 10 rounds of Super in a LW Commander and feel well protected.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I shoot .357Sig all the time. Great little round in my opinion any way...

I have looked at 10mm repeatedly in the past. Just have yet to talk myself into it...

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I voted .41 magnum in homage, mostly. Boy, what could have been. Timing and marketing are everything. The concept was really good. It wasn't delivered like it was supposed to be. "Magnumitus" took over.

If the ammunition companies and gun mfgs would have followed the advice of Keith, Jodan, and Skelton, called it the more politically acceptable for the time - ".41 Police", and came out with 2 loads (hot and standard); 210 gr around 1,350 fps and a 200 gr around 900 fps. I think it would have caught on.

It's all I've ever really needed in a magnum handgun.

Excerpt:
    “Even in the 'Days of the Old West', the infamous 'Colt Peacemakers' were reduced from 45Colt and 44WCF to a more manageable '38-40' and '41 Long Colt' both, actual .40Cal -- which turns out to be exactly what law enforcement is adopting today in the .40 S&W -- and exactly what Bill Jordan and others had asked the gun makers and ammo makers to produce [in the first place with the .41 magnum].”

There's nothing new under the sun.

Last edited:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I shoot .357Sig all the time. Great little round in my opinion any way...

I have looked at 10mm repeatedly in the past. Just have yet to talk myself into it...

Several people have bought 10mms after shooting mine. It is really a good cartridge with plenty of potential.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Surprised you didn't list the .38 Super. It has been called dead for a while

Isn't the .38 Super still popular on the competition circuit, and in foreign countries that prohibit civilian ownership of "military" calibers? :dunno:

If you really want to open the doors, we could throw in gems like the 9x23 Winchester, .41AE, and .400 Cor-Bon.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    I guess I'm the only one who see's potential in the .32NAA.

I was considering getting a .32NAA guardian for my fiance after all I had read on the gun and cartridge. But I found a good deal locally on a Keltec P32.

Top Bottom