• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Need some input. I grew up with my dads American Flyer trains. Loved it! My kids are young but really into trains and I'd like to get a set that I can expand as they get older. The trains I played with as a kid appeared to be around O scale but didn't have a rail in the middle.

After researching I think I'll go with HO and I'd really like to get an MBTA passenger train like my kids see the most of when we travel back to Boston. I'm willing to spend some money but all I can find is some custom Kato engine that has the correct paint scheme and detail but no longer sold?

This is it

http://youtu.be/npfQeJJ4kOk

Found an MTH O gauge Amtrak RTR set that uses the same engine and style cars as the MBTA but looks like its no longer sold and I have a hard time getting past the middle rail.

Do we have any model train experts that could provide some advice... I'd rather invest in a train that has some meaning to my kids and I than some random set.

Last edited:

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Ebay is your bestest friend when it comes to out of stock or out of production items. Are you wanting it to run on regular DC or DCC? I assume you know the difference. Depending on what you want, costs will be different. If I am not mistaken Kato reduces costs by not putting DCC in their stuff but they do have standard 8 pin plugs.

The major model track maker had a labor strike in China a year or so ago and things are just returning to normal. How expansive are you wanting this to be eventually? Everyone suggests starting on a regular 4x8 table but that drastically reduces your turning radius to the point many engines and rolling stock brands refuse to work properly on the tight turns.

If you do stay with O and do not go with HO, MTH does do two rail stuff too, but it's pricier. The 3 rail stuff is obsolete but many who build O scale models prefer the 3rd rail. I am not an O modeler so I couldn't tell you their reasons for wanting the 3rd rail.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    There's a guy that comes in (some train expert) and orders decals and stuff all the time for o scale stuff from us.
    I know he owns a storefront, but not much more. I will get more info on him and pass it along.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Greybeardguy doesn't sound like an INGO username. It's too descript. He'll think he can be identified by that name. SomewhereAroundSpeedway does though.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    ok... Train Express up on Zionsville Rd. is the guy (His name is Larry). Apparently there's another guy (in speedway), but all he does is repair work on old stuff.
    I really don't do much in the way of trains (I have a bunch of N scale stuff from a long time ago, but don't have time to tinker)
    I just know these guys are often in the shop getting custom work done on them, and that my boss (also into trains) speaks highly of them.

Last edited:

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I'm trying to learn more. Don't know much but I think I want DCC. I want to have the sound effects.

I'm not looking to spend a fortune but would like a solid set. Eventually 4x8

Ebay is your bestest friend when it comes to out of stock or out of production items. Are you wanting it to run on regular DC or DCC? I assume you know the difference. Depending on what you want, costs will be different. If I am not mistaken Kato reduces costs by not putting DCC in their stuff but they do have standard 8 pin plugs.

The major model track maker had a labor strike in China a year or so ago and things are just returning to normal. How expansive are you wanting this to be eventually? Everyone suggests starting on a regular 4x8 table but that drastically reduces your turning radius to the point many engines and rolling stock brands refuse to work properly on the tight turns.

If you do stay with O and do not go with HO, MTH does do two rail stuff too, but it's pricier. The 3 rail stuff is obsolete but many who build O scale models prefer the 3rd rail. I am not an O modeler so I couldn't tell you their reasons for wanting the 3rd rail.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    2 words....

LEGO Trains

lego trains - Bing Images
    trainsx450.jpg

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Two "people" to talk to . "the guys" up at hobby town in Castleton. They know their stuff.

The other is a mom and pop on the east side. East washington just west of Shadeland on the north side of the street.

While at hobby town, pick up a copy of the walther's book. Its like $20 and has pretty much everything sold in the industry. (they are the biggest distributor) There is a book for HO and a book for Z and N.

Someday I hope to have the room for a layout. I have 4 big tubs of my dads HO rolling stock from the 80s, but just dont have the space even for a N scale right now.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I'll check that shop out... Thanks!

ok... Train Express up on Zionsville Rd. is the guy (His name is Larry). Apparently there's another guy (in speedway), but all he does is repair work on old stuff.
    I really don't do much in the way of trains (I have a bunch of N scale stuff from a long time ago, but don't have time to tinker)
    I just know these guys are often in the shop getting custom work done on them, and that my boss (also into trains) speaks highly of them.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    DCC is more than just sound.
    It allows you to control multiple trains in the same "district".
    With regular DC control, if you lower the speed in a "district", all trains slow down. Because you are changing the voltage to that "district".

With DCC, the voltage remains at max. A packet of information is sent out, "train 0010, goto speed 10", or whatever.
    This allows control of individual trains.
    You can program in momentum, so that a train doesn't speed up or slow down instantly.

Theoretically, DCC only needs one "district". In reality, you still split the track into districts, so a short doesn't take the entire system out.

2 downsides of DCC
    Train track/wheels need to be clean. Dirty connections mean communications packets get lost.
    You really don't want to feed a "district" with just one connection. Tends to bring the voltage down to the electronics on the train. Use large gauge wires under the board to follow the track. Every so often, use smaller wires to connect to the track.

DC is pretty much cheaper. But a HEADACHE in wiring.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    DCC is more than just sound.
    It allows you to control multiple trains in the same "district".
    With regular DC control, if you lower the speed in a "district", all trains slow down. Because you are changing the voltage to that "district".

With DCC, the voltage remains at max. A packet of information is sent out, "train 0010, goto speed 10", or whatever.
    This allows control of individual trains.
    You can program in momentum, so that a train doesn't speed up or slow down instantly.

Theoretically, DCC only needs one "district". In reality, you still split the track into districts, so a short doesn't take the entire system out.

2 downsides of DCC
    Train track/wheels need to be clean. Dirty connections mean communications packets get lost.
    You really don't want to feed a "district" with just one connection. Tends to bring the voltage down to the electronics on the train. Use large gauge wires under the board to follow the track. Every so often, use smaller wires to connect to the track.

DC is pretty much cheaper. But a HEADACHE in wiring.

This. DC can be in different districts but we're talking about wiring up different "blocks" and let's just say you really just want DCC to start with.

Factory DCC/Sound equipped engines are usually cheaper than making a regular DCC ready engine into DCC/Sound. The sound versions usually run a solid $100 more than a normal DCC engine. Buying the chip, speakers, baffles, re-engineering the insides of the engine, and learning to solder adds up to way over $100. The sound chip is about $100 if it is good quality. Also it is a misconception that if you buy a DCC engine you automatically have sound. The sound costs extra.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Ok, So my dreams of an MBTA or Amtrak aren't going to work out. I need something Ready to run to get started with the kids.

How about this MTH

81-4002-1 |

Comes with everything I need to get started and has sound. Thoughts from the experts?

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    This is a good thread. I have a bunch of Lionel O gauge from my dad and don't have a clue how to run any of it. I might have to set it up and see what happens.

Jason

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Yes, Thats what I'm looking for but out of stock and I think I'd be better off getting back into trains for me ans the kids with something ready to run with everything I need in a box

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I set up a simple snap track HO set in a circle around the christmas tree each year.
    In the eyes of the kids (now 11 & 18), it's better than the star on the top of the tree or the manger lol.
    Not as much fun for us bigger kids, but then, around the tree at christmas is all about them. Whatever you do this year will be fine methinks! :)

Top Bottom