• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Apr 19, 2013
    Clark County
    Age and maturity don't necessarily go hand in hand. I know some people in their 30s and 40s who are more immature than some teens I know. I know a few teens who have the maturity level of someone in their 20s or 30s. The general rule is that maturity increases with age. This is usually true. However I've seen in some people that increase moving at a snail's pace while others move at the speed of light. If an 18 year old is good enough to pick up a gun to defend this country, then why not allow him to carry a gun? Yes there are some 18 year old kids out there who clearly should not be carrying, but there are also some 40 year olds who aren't mature enough for it either. JMO

Well said sir.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I'm just glad there's people out there who don't feel I'm too immature to carry because I'm only 18. I take it very seriously and do research such as being on ingo :ingo: to learn more.

spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    My take on this.

Age and maturity are not proportional. Those who are taught the wrong ways tend to be far more immature, though older.

My take would have been to require or rather encourage our youth to go through an NRA sponsored firearms class(s) in safety and proper usage. This way they know early on how to use and carry a firearm. With that knowledge, more responsibility and liability is undertaken by the individual and should they misuse a weapon, they will be doing so very consciously knowing the consequences.

Proper schooling leads to an increase of maturity.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I read this article and I have mixed feelings about it. In one way, I'm glad it's changed because I am not yet 21, I'm only 18 and currently have a ltch, so I know how they feel. However, I know many people my age, and sometimes older who are cclearly not old enough to carry and worry me because they do. They are "too immature" as stated in the article. I feel mature enough, however, how do you guys feel about this? No, I won't take offense to your opionins, it's why I'm asking. I've studied and researched carrying, but I honestly don't know how I feel about the age thing. Do I seem too young to carry?

New Alabama gun law leads to increase in young people seeking concealed-carry permits

Indiana is a "shall issue" state, and that includes 18-21 year olds.
    This has been true for many years.

Is there a rash of 18 - 21 year olds with carry permits getting into trouble because they have a carry permit?
    If there is, i haven't heard about it.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Mixed feelings on this, help me out.

It's OK.
    You're going to be alright.
    Plenty of people feel this way at first. Just know, that you're doing the right thing here and you have lots of support from folks that felt just like you do now. I'm not saying it won't be a hard choice, but deep in your heart, you have to know how refreshing it will be to just stand up for yourself and scream it to the world. You can't hide your true feelings anymore.

So reach out, turn the handle and open up that door. Now you just step right out of that closet baby.
    We're all here for ya.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    OP, you seem like a very level-headed 18yo so no I don't think you're too young to carry. However, some 18yo kids aren't mature enough to carry IMHO.

CARRY ON.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    If you are old enough to vote and be held accountable for your actions as an adult, you are old enough to carry a firearm and protect yourself. You also shouldn't need a permission slip to exercise your "rights".

Since, at 18, none of your other rights are being withheld, why should the 2nd?

Carry on!

:+1:

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I don't think that anyone should be allowed to vote, drive, drink, marry, own firearms, carry firearms, or post on INGO unless they are at least 40 years old and can produce a DD214 showing honorable active duty of at least 2 years.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I don't think that anyone should be allowed to vote, drive, drink, marry, own firearms, carry firearms, or post on INGO unless they are at least 40 years old and can produce a DD214 showing honorable active duty of at least 2 years.

:rockwoot: Right On!! :patriot:

So why the purple?

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I believe if you are old enough to fight and die for your county, then you are old enough to buy, own, and carry a firearm. I hope that those who decide to own and carry a firearm do so in a mature and responsible way. Additionally I hope they get training, become proficient, and educate themselves on the issues involved in exercising their 2nd Amendment rights. I think that should be their choice, and not be forced on them in order to exercise their right.

Every state should be a Constitutional Carry state, and function as such. Any issue leaves to much opportunity for corruption. If you have to get permission to exercise a right from someone that can deny that right on a whim it becomes a privilege instead of a right.

Fixed it for you, and "you're welcome".

Top Bottom