• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I read this article and I have mixed feelings about it. In one way, I'm glad it's changed because I am not yet 21, I'm only 18 and currently have a ltch, so I know how they feel. However, I know many people my age, and sometimes older who are cclearly not old enough to carry and worry me because they do. They are "too immature" as stated in the article. I feel mature enough, however, how do you guys feel about this? No, I won't take offense to your opionins, it's why I'm asking. I've studied and researched carrying, but I honestly don't know how I feel about the age thing. Do I seem too young to carry?

New Alabama gun law leads to increase in young people seeking concealed-carry permits

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Age and maturity don't necessarily go hand in hand. I know some people in their 30s and 40s who are more immature than some teens I know. I know a few teens who have the maturity level of someone in their 20s or 30s. The general rule is that maturity increases with age. This is usually true. However I've seen in some people that increase moving at a snail's pace while others move at the speed of light. If an 18 year old is good enough to pick up a gun to defend this country, then why not allow him to carry a gun? Yes there are some 18 year old kids out there who clearly should not be carrying, but there are also some 40 year olds who aren't mature enough for it either. JMO

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    My only comment is on the hypocrisy of the Government when it comes to age. On one hand, they consider 18 to be maure enough to elect the leadership of our Country. On the other hand, you must be 21 to have a beer. By the same token, if 18 is old enough to take a bullet in some foreign land, the 18 year olds should be allowed to purchase and carry a handgun.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Age does not mean maturity. Period. Best thing you can do for yourself is to get some good training on self defense with AND without your firearm.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I worry at LEAST as much about all the idiots on the road that, license or not, don't have a clue how to drive safely.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    If you are old enough to vote and be held accountable for your actions as an adult, you are old enough to carry a firearm and protect yourself. You also shouldn't need a permission slip to exercise your "rights".

Since, at 18, none of your other rights are being withheld, why should the 2nd?

Carry on!

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Alabama is a may issue state that usually functions as a shall issue state. Similar to Rhode Island being a shall issue state functioning as a may issue state and Hawaii being a may issue state that really functions as a no issue state.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    Alabama is a may issue state that usually functions as a shall issue state. Similar to Rhode Island being a shall issue state functioning as a may issue state and Hawaii being a may issue state that really functions as a no issue state.

I was looking it up and found conflicting answers. It was probably labeled shall-issue for the reason you said

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    My only comment is on the hypocrisy of the Government when it comes to age. On one hand, they consider 18 to be maure enough to elect the leadership of our Country. On the other hand, you must be 21 to have a beer. By the same token, if 18 is old enough to take a bullet in some foreign land, the 18 year olds should be allowed to purchase and carry a handgun.

I think the alcohol age is there strictly to contain drunk driving incidents.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton

^^This^^

If you are old enough to vote and be held accountable for your actions as an adult, you are old enough to carry a firearm and protect yourself. You also shouldn't need a permission slip to exercise your "rights".

Since, at 18, none of your other rights are being withheld, why should the 2nd?

Carry on!

^^And this^^

BuckCreek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    I believe if you are old enough to fight and die for your county, then you are old enough to buy, own, and carry a firearm. I hope that those who decide to own and carry a firearm do so in a mature and responsible way. Additionally I hope they get training, become proficient, and educate themselves on the issues involved in exercising their 2nd Amendment rights. I think that should be their choice, and not be forced on them in order to exercise their right.

Every state should be a shall issue state, and function as such. May issue leaves to much opportunity for corruption. If you have to get permission to exercise a right from someone that can deny that right on a whim it becomes a privilege instead of a right.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I read this article and I have mixed feelings about it. In one way, I'm glad it's changed because I am not yet 21, I'm only 18 and currently have a ltch, so I know how they feel. However, I know many people my age, and sometimes older who are cclearly not old enough to carry and worry me because they do. They are "too immature" as stated in the article. I feel mature enough, however, how do you guys feel about this? No, I won't take offense to your opionins, it's why I'm asking. I've studied and researched carrying, but I honestly don't know how I feel about the age thing. Do I seem too young to carry?

New Alabama gun law leads to increase in young people seeking concealed-carry permits

I've carried daily since the day I got my LTCH in the mail, I applied for it the day I turned 18.

Maturity doesn't much matter, following the safety rules and laws on the other hand, are all that matter. A gun on your hip can have the psychological effect of teaching you responsibility rather quickly.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    I believe if you are old enough to fight and die for your county, then you are old enough to buy, own, and carry a firearm. I hope that those who decide to own and carry a firearm do so in a mature and responsible way. Additionally I hope they get training, become proficient, and educate themselves on the issues involved in exercising their 2nd Amendment rights. I think that should be their choice, and not be forced on them in order to exercise their right.

Every state should be a shall issue state, and function as such. May issue leaves to much opportunity for corruption. If you have to get permission to exercise a right from someone that can deny that right on a whim it becomes a privilege instead of a right.

I am originally from NJ, and it's a may-issue state. Less than 0.038% of the population has a valid carry permit. Take it from me, it is corrupted to all hell.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I think the alcohol age is there strictly to contain drunk driving incidents.

Yes because we have so few of those with the legal drinking age being what it is. I see at least 20 middle aged adults on DUI scooters every single night. I work right next door to a liquor store so I get to see those times when every single person in the store has "driven" there on a scooter.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County

Prior restraint tramples liberty; done subjectively, even more so.

No one should be prevented from speaking because they might shout "fire" in a crowded theater.

No one should be prevented from driving because they might drive too fast.

No one should be prevented from keeping their personal papers private from government eyes because they might be up to no good.

No one should be prevented from bearing arms because they might be immature.

Top Bottom