Not the same law.
    Not the same judge.
    Not the same prosecutor.
    Not the same offense.
    With her kids.
    Didn't take plea offer.
    Brought weed with to sentencing.

Yup, totally the same...

Duh? Of course they aren't the same. They provide an interesting look into the justice system though - including it's evolution/devolution.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It would be nice if he'd give the same treatment to Hoosiers in similar circumstances.

Despite the silly campaign commericals, Mitch is only the Gov., not a superprosecutor. The highhorse riding, heel rocking and lapel-grabbing happens at the county level at the Office of the Prosecuting Attorney.

It would be nice if Mitch would get behind the drug decriminalization elements in the sentencing commission's report.

On the plus side, Mitch has granted pardons to a couple of my guys who committed similar dumb acts in their youth.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Despite the silly campaign commericals, Mitch is only the Gov., not a superprosecutor.

It would be nice if Mitch would get behind the drug decriminalization elements in the sentencing commission's report.

On the plus side, Mitch has granted pardons to a couple of my guys who committed similar dumb acts in their youth.

I believe Mitch also came out recently seeking to lessen Indiana's prison population by releasing some non-violent offenders as well. I think he is deffinately on the leading edge of this new conservative thought. I would like to see him take a shot at the big chair.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Just so everyone knows, every day defendants similarly situated to Mitch get misdemeanor deals or withhold judgments on these types of cases even if their attorneys have to stomach the self-righteous prattle, heel rocking and lapel-grabbing from the deputy prosecutors.

"Yes, yes, he was a bad boy for driving drunk and you can cluck like a chicken about 'THE LAW' and the dangers of drunk driving to me, but it would help if you had Ms. Deprez in the room with us while you clucked."

thej27

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    I bet it would be impossible to find a high school/college student that says "I better not do that drug, I am going to run for political office in the future." Most people that young live for the moment. You never think much of the future until real life makes you grow up.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    Just so everyone knows, every day defendants similarly situated to Mitch get misdemeanor deals or withhold judgments on these types of cases even if their attorneys have to stomach the self-righteous prattle, heel rocking and lapel-grabbing from the deputy prosecutors.

"Yes, yes, he was a bad boy for driving drunk and you can cluck like a chicken about 'THE LAW' and the dangers of drunk driving to me, but it would help if you had Ms. Deprez in the room with us while you clucked."

Meanwhile, later that evening..........Judge and Prosecutor can both be seen sitting at the local Country Club slammin' doubles, and then get in their cars and drive home. ( and no, I'm not making generalizations. I've witnessed it first hand)

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Meanwhile, later that evening..........Judge and Prosecutor can both be seen sitting at the local Country Club slammin' doubles, and then get in their cars and drive home. ( and no, I'm not making generalizations. I've witnessed it first hand)

Well, maybe the fine folks of your jurisdiction should elect someone more fitting to these positions. "The people" are really the only one's with the ability to control these elected officials.

Joe

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    The Devil is in the Details..

No I respectfully disagree with you. It was wrong that he got off light - i stated earlier I thought he got lucky with his sentencing. If he lets others of light for having 12 boxes of weed then that would be wrong as well. 2 wrongs do not make a right. You will never convince me otherwise.

I enjoy reading these posts-What I see somewhat is how stories can be changed as they go!!
    Mitch was (according to the article) caught with enough pot in his(and 2 others) room "to fill 2 size 12 shoe boxes"--NOT for having "12 boxes of weed"
    There IS a large difference in the amounts...Bill.:dunno:

crawfish

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2011
    south indy
    I think he got off easy back then. He would easily burn someone down for it now. He is not to be trusted but I do like a man that holds people accountable for their actions and we need to stay a float in this state he has done some good but i can't forget his past only forgive. Its just mitch and he is human.

sb22lr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2010
    This is all a part of the campaign to make Mitch more attractive to voters in California. Next thing you know Mellencamp will be showing up at events for Mitch.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    Next thing you know Mellencamp will be showing up at events for Mitch.

Doubt if THAT ever happens. Mellencamp has spent WAY too much time with the LA types. He has NOTHING in common with people in Indiana any longer. THAT is sad... he wrote great music, notice I said wrote. (past tense)

Anything I've heard come out of his mouth in the past few years is the usual left wing drivel.:rolleyes:

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    Skeletons-in-the-Closet.jpg

Most everyone has them. Cheating on spouse, kinky sex, drugs etc. How big that skeleton is and how old it is are the main factors on if I would hold it against someone. I remember a few years back the media was able to dig up some kinky stuff on obama's competition for US Senate. It was nothing illegal but it was easier than discussing the issues and it got him to drop out.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    If Daniels runs, I will vote for him at every opportunity--primary and general. I think he is the type of guy that could make the tough decisions even if they are not the popular ones. I would be very surprised to learn that he was ever a community organizer. I do not hold what he may have done in college against him as I smoked a little as did nearly everyone I knew who lived in the dorms at IU in the late 60s and early 70s. I am more concerned at how the guy turned out and his character now and not what he did when he was a stupid and idealistic college kid.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    I don't care, Mitch is unfortunately a shoe in for the republican nomination and I DON'T want him running for president. Governor Mitch is okay, but globalist president Mitch is just more of what we've been fed for 30 or more years....

Disagree. Mitch will never be nominated. When he was first elected he threatened to raise taxes on Indiana's "rich" in his Inauguration Speech, even though he promised in the campaign he wouldn't. Giving House [STRIKE]Communists[/STRIKE] Democrats a pass to leave the state to avoid a vote a couple weeks ago sealed the deal. Mitch will never be President.

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    So you are saying.. that it should not be a crime if a person is young?

I understand what you meant... I just do not think him getting off light handed while others feel the full weight of the book is justice.

The laws and punishments should apply to everyone equally. If we believe those that do drugs should suffer harsh consequences, we should not exclude anyone.

LSD and prescription drugs would not be anything close to a light punishment for anyone that is not well connected.

It doesn't matter, it was a long time ago, was caught and whatever happened. Have things changed? Yes. If you are young and havent broken some type of law you are either a lying POS or someone living in the utopia of LSD......

It was a different time and different place(Hell a pound of grass back then was personal use in about 6 hours), so don't get panties in a bunch like these people digging up 40yo mud:noway:

mrjarrell, I know its brought up for discussion, but are you and rambone just anti_everything?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    mrjarrell, I know its brought up for discussion, but are you and rambone just anti_everything?
    I didn't post this as an anti anything. Just an article for discussion. I happen to think Daniel's has done a pretty decent job as governor. I'm just not willing to refuse to look at the whole picture.

Top Bottom