• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 10mm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2024
    Greencastle
    In what scenario? Are we talking full teotwawki? Is S hitting the fan? Are we experiencing inclement weather?
    General preparedness is to have 3 days worth of food and water for everyone in the house including animals you may have.
    Pretty good tier would be to have a week.
    Other than that you might stock up a full month and rotate out your goods over the course of a couple years.
    My household typically has over a month of that sort of thing on hand, but it's all things we commonly use such as beans, rice, canned meats and fruits, bottled water, etc. These things last years on their own and we use them on the weekly or monthly basis, so they get rotated out within a few months and that's how we keep our supplies fresh.
    I kind of figure that if something is going to last longer than a month we'll be hunting and gathering plus using the heirloom seeds as a full time job so maybe a small hand well somewhere on the property as an after thought for fresh water if you don't have another plan.
    Most people without running water for a week will be VERY desperate if not dead and heading for FEMA camps.

The short answer is figure out what you need for a month and that should get you a good head start for total collapse. If you're talking disaster preparedness a good weeks worth will see you through basically anything in Indiana. Other than that I hope you have a fully autonomous farm and that the fallout doesn't irradiate your animals too badly.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    In what scenario? Are we talking full teotwawki? Is S hitting the fan? Are we experiencing inclement weather?
    General preparedness is to have 3 days worth of food and water for everyone in the house including animals you may have.
    Pretty good tier would be to have a week.
    Other than that you might stock up a full month and rotate out your goods over the course of a couple years.
    My household typically has over a month of that sort of thing on hand, but it's all things we commonly use such as beans, rice, canned meats and fruits, bottled water, etc. These things last years on their own and we use them on the weekly or monthly basis, so they get rotated out within a few months and that's how we keep our supplies fresh.
    I kind of figure that if something is going to last longer than a month we'll be hunting and gathering plus using the heirloom seeds as a full time job so maybe a small hand well somewhere on the property as an after thought for fresh water if you don't have another plan.
    Most people without running water for a week will be VERY desperate if not dead and heading for FEMA camps.

The short answer is figure out what you need for a month and that should get you a good head start for total collapse. If you're talking disaster preparedness a good weeks worth will see you through basically anything in Indiana. Other than that I hope you have a fully autonomous farm and that the fallout doesn't irradiate your animals too badly.
    What 10mm said. Whatever your scenario get started!

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    What’s the minimum days supply of food, water and other emergency supplies everybody should have?
    You ask for a minimum, for a vague circumstance. With unknown variables. I would suggest starting with about 10 good prepping books. Define your goals. Then start your own path to your own end goals.

Everybody has different objectives, there is no hard answer, a one size fits all number doesn’t work in this instance. Best of luck to you and yours.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    186   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I have a well head in my basement. I bought a hand pump to put on it in a real SHTF situation, so I have a good perpetual ,water source.
    Food… I am sure I could get by for around 6 month. I have about a month of the freeze dried stuff. Then just cans I have bought. The wife used to can, so jars of stuff.

What pump did you get & where from?

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I bought it at the hardware in Shishewana. It is just pitcher pump. I am on a shallow well, so that is going to make a big difference.
    I did the same thing a few years ago. I put a new drop-line, foot-valve, and well-cap in my well and I added a separate drop line for the pitcher pump I bought. Right now that line stays capped, but I have the fittings to hook things up if I ever need to. We're on city water now, but I kept the well to water the garden.

nickc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    Depends on what your getting ready for.

A storm ? Couple weeks.

Covid, apparently months of tp.

Shtf. Months until you get your production where it's needed

Top Bottom