• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I have a small cookie cutter house (1400sqft) on a slab. So no real place to conveniently stockpile. However my dad just built my wife and I a mini-barn as a wedding present (my favorite wedding gift BTW). can I store #10 in a mini-barn or do i need to keep them in the house/garage.

Also I know it would be more expensive but storing and rotating #10 cans is not practical for a couple would the small 15oz can's work just as well?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I have a small cookie cutter house (1400sqft) on a slab. So no real place to conveniently stockpile. However my dad just built my wife and I a mini-barn as a wedding present (my favorite wedding gift BTW). can I store #10 in a mini-barn or do i need to keep them in the house/garage.

Also I know it would be more expensive but storing and rotating #10 cans is not practical for a couple would the small 15oz can's work just as well?
    My wife and I store what we eat, so mostly the smaller cans. Buy them bulk to save a few bucks. It just takes us too long to work through a #10. Too much waste and spoilage.

I'd be worried about stuff freezing/spoiling in the shed. I suppose dry goods (packed/sealed well) might be OK, if you can keep the critters out. I keep tons of seed in the shed (not even packed too well), and it lasts fine year to year.

I've been adding to my garage storage with cabinets and shelves. Climate controlled, secure, and convenient. Think vertically, and there is TONS of space in a 2-car garage.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    If your goal is to put a big billboard in your backyard saying "here's my stuff - come steal it" then you win. If you want to keep your stuff in the event SHTF then don't put it in your storage barn. Put some in your house. Some in your car. Some in the ground. Dig several holes in different places.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    So, one way to use your barn might be to move other, non-critical/temp insensitive stuff from the house to the barn to free up some room to store your preps in the more secure, climate-controlled envelope of your house.

(Reps. to your dad for building you a minibarn, btw. Nice gift.)

Bazooka Joe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    South Central Indiana
    So, one way to use your barn might be to move other, non-critical/temp insensitive stuff from the house to the barn to free up some room to store your preps in the more secure, climate-controlled envelope of your house.

That is exactly what I do. Keep everything there that I cant keep in the barn (what I dont want the mice to get.) The candle were a let over from camping trip and I didnt get to them until to late.

Top Bottom