• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I saw some videos of mini cannons online and one is now on my "must have" list. Does anyone have one of these? If so, what information can you give about them? Does anyone sell them locally or is it online only? If you're unfamiliar with what I'm referring to, here is a link to an online dealer:

Dixie Gun Works muzzleloading, blackpowder and rare antique gun supplies.

MC0614.jpg

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    They (Dixie) used to sell a sundial which was set up to "automatically" fire a salute from a miniature cannon at noon. It had a magnifying glass focused on the touchhole to ignite it. Always thought those were cool, in a weird sort of way, although I'm doubtfull that my neighbors would've appreciated it much :-)

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Why would you get the little one? The big one is the same price(for just the barrel) and you could find/build the other parts. Then you'd have a real cannon. I think you can get them in golfball or soup can bores. Both would be more fun that a dinky little .50.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    South Bend Replicas, Inc. Catalog of Antique / Replica Ordnance - Home Page - Antique Civil War artillery reproductions. Replicas including cannons, muzzleloading artillery, antique cannon reproductions, antique cannon replicas, muzzleloading ordnanc

I got my cannon from South Bend Replicas. Bought the barrel and made the mount myself. They make high quality cannons from minatures up to full size. I got the 1/3 scale 10 lb parrot barrel with a 1 inch bore, and have had alot of fun with it. Ordered it over the phone and then drove up there to pick it up. Great folks, very friendly, even gave me a small tour of their shop.

Last edited:

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    A cannon is definitely on my "gotta have" list. Ever since I read where they shot Hunter S Thompsons ashes from one at his wake, I've told the wife that's the way I want to be sent off.:rockwoot:
    (of course, I'm in no hurry)

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Make sure you're clear of the house! A friend of mine shot his too close to his house, just outside his garage door, and the percussion blew off a bunch of the facia and soffit from that side. It was GREAT though and we repeated it several times. :)

OAK

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    TH
    What are the laws for fully operating cannons in Indiana? :D

You must be 18yrs or older.

Muzzle-loading cannons are exempt since the law draws no distinction between the size of the muzzle-loading firearms; thus it is legal for a civilian to build muzzle-loading rifles, pistols, cannons and mortars with no paperwork.

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    I have what I would classify as a mini cannon, it's like .41 caliber, it has an 8" barrel I believe. It's a ton of fun I found mine at garage sale by accident. A word of caution though, the little wooden carriage they come with is a hazard because I either loaded more powder into it than I was supposed to or it just wasnt designed well. What I'm trying to get at is dont stand behind the cannon when you touch it off.

Last edited:

84VETTE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Salem
    I have a CVA mini canon kit that I have yet to build, it's .45 cal. I guess I'm gonna have to get around to putting it together now.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    A machinist that I know has one that he made from a kit years ago. You bought the kit and they were all rough castings, you did the machine work and finished it etc. He said it was fun to shoot but the novelty wore off quickly. It is now a display piece in his office at work.

Top Bottom