• Poll closed .

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    Hey everyone,
    I was able to trade my Glock 23 with some ammo for a Mini 14 yesterday.
    What can I say I simply love this weapon.
    It came with some cheap plastic mags which I practically gave to my boss yesterday.
    It did come with scope rings which is very nice!
    I had one of these a long time ago and had to sell it when my daughter was born. I am happy I was able to replace it with the 581-xxxx which is said to be a little more accurate. I will add pictures later and range report. The reason for the post is to inquire about magazines. See poll above..

I want to get Ruger factory mags for this. I am not sure I want two 20 round mags or one 20 round magazine and one 30 round magazine. Check out the video with the 30 round mag. If you dont want to watch the whole thing the 30 round is at 7:00 and the twenty is just before that. This is not mine but mine looks similar with a black stock and a thicker barrel.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEVPV4Ts5yk&feature=related It just looks ungainly. Is the higher capacity enough to offset the awkward mag protrusion? I am leaning toward 2 of the 20 round magazines. I could just spring for 2 of the 20 rounders and 1 of the 30 rounders but a bit out of budget right now though doable. These mags are expensive unlike my AR-15 mags which are relatively cheap. Here is the sale price at midway.
    Ruger Magazine Ruger Mini-14 223 Remington 30-Round Steel Blue - MidwayUSA
    Ruger Magazine Ruger Mini-14 223 Remington 20-Round Steel Blue - MidwayUSA

Also, are these chambered in 5.56 as the receiver says .223?

Last edited:

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    Here is a picture of mine. It is unfired but no box and no manual. I would like to have gotten the tactical version with the flash suppressor. I tried in the classifieds but got no bites. I am happy with this choice and the longer barrel may be better anyway.
    2011-09-14_01-41-04_566.jpg

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    Max I have 2 minis, an older 184-xxxxx and a tactical 581-xxxxx and I prefer the 20 round magazines. The 30's are just too long and clunky for my taste and tend to get in the way when using a bipod. Just my :twocents:

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    thanks

I am leaning toward three of twenties right now too for the same reason...didn't even think about the biped...guess I would have figured it out...do u have a biped for the 581...what kind?
    Max I have 2 minis, an older 184-xxxxx and a tactical 581-xxxxx and I prefer the 20 round magazines. The 30's are just too long and clunky for my taste and tend to get in the way when using a bipod. Just my :twocents:

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    I am leaning toward three of twenties right now too for the same reason...didn't even think about the biped...guess I would have figured it out...do u have a biped for the 581...what kind?

A 6"-9" Harris stud mount, great little bipod.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I have the LE tactical. BUY ONLY FACTORY MAGS! They are expensive, but are well worth the difference in price. I have several 20 and 30 rounders. I lean towards the 20 rounders, because the ammo I purchase comes in a box of 20. Don't put too much thought into it though, because you'll end up buying both sometime down the road anyways.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    I am going to second the factory mags comment. I have both a mini-14 and a Mini-Thirty and they like their Ruger mags. they are a little bit more expensive, but you definitely get what you pay for.

Also, I am voting for 20 rounders. That's what I use in both of mine :D

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    buy as many magazines in what ever round quantity you want! that is still a right here in indiana, one that many citizens do not have, and its not like they ever expire or go bad if they happen to be unused for a decade or so.

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    Mine came with 2 Ruger 20 round SS mags(wish they still made them) and I bought 2 more 20's and a 30 blued to go with it. The 20's make the handling of the rifle much nicer but the 30 is stamped LEO only and was a must get for it.

ludlow

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009

Is there much difference in the accuracy between you two models?

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Is there much difference in the accuracy between you two models?
    I know you asked 45-70 but I have a 186 series Stainless Mini, and a new Tactical mini.
    There's a world of difference in the accuracy of my two Minis
    The 186 shoots "Minute of dinner plate" at 100 yds.
    The Tactical shoots 1.5 inch groups all day at 100 yds even after the barrel gets very warm.
    No stringing!!
    There's no difference in reliability between the two.
    Either one chews up whatever I feed it.
    I do, however, stick with Factory mags. :)

ludlow

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Thanks UncleMike. I have a 196 series and I am trying to decide if an harbar or mo rod is worth the cost or if I should cut my losses and go with the newer model.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Thanks UncleMike. I have a 196 series and I am trying to decide if an harbar or mo rod is worth the cost or if I should cut my losses and go with the newer model.
    I haven't tried either of the accurizing devices.
    From what I've read they both improve accuracy significantly in the older series minis.
    It may be worth the time and investment to try one on your 196 series and see if it brings the accuracy to an acceptable level.
    My 186 isn't as accurate as the Tactical, but it still serves as a decent plinker, and casual shooter. ;)

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    As UncleMike said, the tactical is accurate out of the box with none of the stringing the older models were famous for. Barrrel stabilizers as shown below do help considerably. This is my 184-XXXX with the Mo-Rod stabilizer installed. Groupings on this mini went from 5-6 to 2.5-3. Your mileage may vary.

384720180.jpg

ludlow

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    As UncleMike said, the tactical is accurate out of the box with none of the stringing the older models were famous for. Barrrel stabilizers as shown below do help considerably. This is my 184-XXXX with the Mo-Rod stabilizer installed. Groupings on this mini went from 5-6 to 2.5-3. Your mileage may vary.

384720180.jpg

What brand of flash suppressor do you have on that? Gun looks very sharp.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom