• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Silver-z28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Henry County
    Picked one up today and was going to order a different stock. I notice most of the ones I found say 181 mod and newer can anyone tell me the difference or where to find a stock?

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    The Mini-14 serial number prefix references date of manufacture, with 180 denoting one of the first four years of manufacture (1974-77). With Ruger, this is not set in stone and they clearly speak to that on their website, but I think it holds pretty true in this case.

Ruger Mini-14 Serial Number History

Also found on the internet:
    11) I have an older 180-series rifle and am having trouble finding parts for it. What is the problem?

A: The 180-series was the first series of the Mini-14 that Ruger produced. Several design changes occurred for the following series to upgrade the rifle. These changes make some 180-series parts difficult to find since Ruger ceased manufacturing those parts that were changed. The changes also make most aftermarket products incompatible with the 180-series.

And this:

180 series: no scope ring mounts internal to rifle. Different bolt hold open, bolt, stock, forearm, trigger group (and maybe some other parts I forget). It is NOT supported by ruger anymore.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    The early 180 series Mini's has a complicated bolt hold open mechanism that's on the left side of the receiver that the newer 181 and later series don't have. Whatever the redesign changes Ruger made to this configuration made the later 181 series stocks incompatible with the earlier 180 series weapons. Take a look at your rifle, then go take a look at a 181 or later series and you will see that there is now just a simple button to push down on the top of the receiver to lock the bolt back with. Compare it to your 180 series rifle and you will see the differences yourself.

Silver-z28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Henry County
    my question is can a person just open the side of the stock up a bit to allow room for the hold mechanism to fit im still trying to compare. seen a few you tube videos of people putting 180s in the ati stock but no info or write ups just a it can be done

Top Bottom