• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ....it's not like there's been anything that's happened lately that may cause police to be jumpy about people carrying ARs around on the street.

Prudent to find out what they are doing. What if they they ignored all the MWAG calls and then......

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    Good cop. He needs to buy a pair of sunglasses though. Had to squint a lot.

I would hope that these dix weren't keeping him from doing something important. I understand that most people don't fully understand the rights we enjoy to parade around with our firearms in broad daylight, but I don't agree that deliberately crying for attention in the name of "education" is the right way to accomplish the goal of educating them.

I'm sure that Officer Estes went back to the station and told his fellow officers how he had the privilege of responding to a MWAG call and had an enjoyable chat with three law-abiding young men who were just out for a stroll with an AR and some sidearms, exercising their rights.

I think I'll just quietly enjoy my freedom without poking the bear. I'm a non-confrontational kinda guy anyway.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The cameramen weren't keeping him from doing squat. His own curiosity and demanding persistence were what was keeping him from actually driving the beat looking for actual law breakers. Any time the officer choose, he was free to get back in his cruiser and cruise. They were not preventing that in any way, shape, matter, or form.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The exact opposite of most of the Leo interaction videos that get posted up on here. Very professional and that was a nice looking AR.

People with cameras trying to bait seldom post their videos where the baiting fails. I've been baited at Black Expo several times, they never got the response they wanted, and they moved on.

Rovindal

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    The people who "exercise their rights" are some of the most retarded ****ing people! I am not saying I am against "exercising our rights.....just find some better people to do it! Gives every gun owner a bad rep. No wonder everyone thinks all gun owners are ****ing idiots! It makes guns owners look like members of the KKK. Ever see those interviews on tv?? Some of the most uneducated, incompetent, impotent, ignorant, fat ****ing embred whit trash ever!!! Same for most groups out there! Just get better spokesman!!! Not asking a lot

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Don't be so hard on young guys who want to test their rights in public. Police can be very intimidating if you find yourself in their sights during any sort of investigation.

I have to admit this officer's training and persistance paid off and I hope those guys realize they failed their own test. The cop got a little of everything he wanted and they did not want to give.

1. The cop had possession of the rifle and unloaded it, not allowing them to reload it during the investigation. Albeit ignoring the holstered pistols.

2. The cop got all of their names (only first names) and realizes they probably are from the area.

3. They willingly continued participating in a voluntary investigation.

They did prove that this cop was MORE knowledgable than them in every aspect including Constitutional and state law.

:+1: Officer

(0) for the guys with the cameras IMO.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ... Just get better spokesman!!! Not asking a lot

If you want a better spokesman, get out there and speak. What's stopping you? :dunno:

Since when must one be a well versed statesman or polished orator to practice the exercise of a right?

cmepp18

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    SKS14: "Hey Warren, what are we doing here today?"

Warren: "Trying to find a way to take up all the time we're not spending on dates."

Haha. Exactly! Don't these guys have better things to do? Seems like a waste of time to me.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    On the plus side the cop was friendly and professional, didn't really force the guys do to anything. On the other hand, they were still targeted for doing something legal, even if not something you see everyday. They still gave him what he asked for. Seemed to me he sort of fished for what he wanted.

I don't know what to think of showing his gear to guys on the street. Not sure what his supervisor would think or his fellow officers would think about that. If all he did was pull over and say, hey, mines cooler than yours, then that would be one thing, but it's not his function as an LEO on duty to play show and tell with folks on the sidewalk. He acts like he's trying to convince them he's just another gun enthusiast, but still pressing for information, so bottom line, why bother with the acting? He's saying they don't have to give him any information, and that they're "free to leave" if they don't want to give the information. Sounds like he means, either you tell me what I want to know or you have to go. They weren't doing anything illegal, but unless they give him the information he's after, they're "free to leave", sounds like "not free to stay".

I understand he's doing his job. I understand he's getting MWAG phone calls. I'm not saying he's unprofessional, abusive, unfriendly, or anything like that. But he did do exactly what he came there to do, he just sugar coated it to keep the excitement level down.

Bottom line, why stop and question them for a legal activity? He mentioned something about scaring people. So even though it was legal, thought he needed to stop them. Is that a good reason to stop someone, because someone called in and said they were scared? He said he was just curious, I don't buy it. If he had just parked and watched them for a while, wouldn't that have satisfied his curiosity? No. He wasn't doing this to satisfy curiosity, he was doing it because he was on a call. Like he said, he was doing his job, that's not the same thing as just being curious. I think he was using a huge dose of child psychology on the young men to keep them from getting excited. The "I'll show you mine" thing was just part of the child psychology game, and I have to wonder how many of his fellow officers would have not been too happy with that move.

If he would have pulled over and stopped me, I think I would have told him my name. I also would have questioned the reason for the stop, especially for doing nothing illegal. I would have declined the invitation to look at his gear. I would just want him to go about his business as soon as possible, so I could continue about mine.

Last edited:

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I think many of us forget that part of an officers job is to interact with the public. Just because you are not breaking any law does not mean he cannot speak to you. Just as you wouldn't ( I hope) tell an average citizen to get bent when he tries to strike up a friendly conversation, I dont see how it would be any different just because he/she is wearing a uniform.
    The officer kept a friendly demeanour about him throughout the interaction, did not force anything from any of them, and made contact with the cause of several MWAG calls. As far as showing his gear off, I dont see any issue with how he went about it. The rifle was cleared, he never surenderd control of the weapon, and if its department gear, technically its taxpayers property, so why not show them what their tax dollars are going towards?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yeah the cop didn't go on a power trip, but I hate watching videos like this. They just make me feel wierd. The guys in the video, their voices were shaky, they mumbled a lot, etc... They could have given better answers to end the encounter faster, in my opinion.

+1 to the officer, almost good enough to seem staged.

Makes me want to go on an AR walk

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Yeah the cop didn't go on a power trip, but I hate watching videos like this. They just make me feel wierd. The guys in the video, their voices were shaky, they mumbled a lot, etc... They could have given better answers to end the encounter faster, in my opinion.

+1 to the officer, almost good enough to seem staged.

Makes me want to go on an AR walk

Make sure your DL is in order if you decide to identify yourself this time :laugh:

And another plus is you don't need a LTCH for a long gun so you don't have to worry about it not fitting in your wallet!

:D:popcorn:

Top Bottom