• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smccabe17

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Lawrenceburg
    This weekend my wife and me took Mindset Lab’s Intro to Force on Force and Dynamic Force on Force. These two days was incredible. I have already taken the Intro to FoF and it as a great refresher. Shay was able to point out a several things I needed to work on more. I find it always a good thing to practice the fundamentals. Everything else is based on them.

For background on me a few other places I have trained at is Tactical Response and did their Fighting Pistol class and Force on Force class. I have also taken Mindset Lab’s Flashlight combatives. I have also done an Appleseed event.

The class consisted of seven people. Three of us had already taken the class. I brought my wife because I thought she could use the training. She does not carry everyday, but she is around guns all the time and it is something that you can use for in the home and being out of the house without a gun. Situational awareness and mindset is very important. Another guy brought his wife and two sons. There was also 16-year-old girl in the class. And last but not least there was a guy there from Chicago. And I think it is a very good class for yourself and to bringing your family. It is a great class for beginners and for the experienced.

The Intro to Force on Force was started with a talk about mindset and safe gun skills. During this class we did not use any live firearms, only blue guns and modified Glock 19’s to only shoot UTM rounds. Even though we did not use live firearms, we treated them like they were. This instilled the habit of always being safe. This way there is not two ways of teaching you how to handle firearms, only the safe way.

After lunch we went into the wear house and practiced our draw stroke and protecting our gun from a bad guy being to close. Then we used the modified Glock 19s that shot the UTM rounds. We all had to see and feel what it is like to pull the trigger on someone and to have to look down the barrel of a gun and have someone shoot you. Since I had already taken the class once and done another schools Force on Force this was not bad for me at all. The first time having to shoot someone was very weird and disturbing. It is never comfortable for me to have to wait for someone to shoot me, but I was a lot calmer this time. It reinforces the practices on making sure you get off the X and not be shot.

We also talked about how to talk to 911 and what to say and what not to say. After this we went and did one scenario. A few of us had already done this one so we watched the new people do it. It is a lot easier to know what to do when the pressure isn’t on you.

I will update with the second day later.

Last edited:

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Thank you for posting this review.

The students all worked hard and showed so much improvement. It is impressive to see a group of people push themselves outside their comfort zones and emerge better prepared to keep themselves alive under stress.

This class was definitely diverse. I actually enjoy teaching students of all skill levels and backgrounds. One student had never fired a pistol before. Her first shot was on a live human. Hit him square in the chest. How amazing is that?

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Tonight I downloaded and edited some pictures from both the Intro to Force on Force and Dynamic Force on Force Scenarios classes.

In case you are wondering, I don't post pictures that show details of scenarios in order to preserve the training experience for future students.

IFOF3.jpg

IFOF4.jpg

IFOF5.jpg

IFOF7.jpg

IFOF8.jpg

IFOF6.jpg

IFOF1.jpg

IFOF2.jpg

Johnson

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Indiana
    Another guy brought his wife and two sons.

That guy was me :) I had already taken Mindset Labs Intro to Force on Force, but I wanted my non-shooting wife and 16/18 year old sons to take the course. To set the stage, my wife and sons (who shoot occasionally) had little interest in carrying a gun. Its not that they were against it, but they had just given it very little thought and it wasn't high on their priority list. I figured this class would give them a good perspective on the reasons why one might want to be armed, and some good insight on how to do that properly. All I can say is that Shay's class did that and more.

SMCCABE17 gave a good description of the class, so I'll focus more on what my family got out of the training. First, Shay is very good at covering the proper mindset for safety. Situational awareness and decision making under stress are not only talked about, but practiced as part of the training. Proper draw strokes were not only shown, but practiced in a way that showed the value to both the novice and experienced shooters alike. My wife (again, a non-shooter) remarked that she never understood why I practiced the four stages of drawing a gun like I did. Now she sees the practicality of being able to fire from each stage, depending on the situation and proximity of the threat. A lesson she learned not just from being told, but from first hand experience as she was "attacked" at close range and then had to draw her blue gun to defend herself. In her words "Now when I train, I know what we should work on." Amazing words from a woman who never wanted to go to the range with me.

The class all leads to the scenario at the end of training. I can't stress enough how it pulled all of the days training together to be put into a real life situation where you are on your own to make life changing decisions. It was enough to show my wife how she would react if ever faced with a similar situation in real life, and she was glad to have experienced it.

My wife and sons are now all wanting additional training & handguns of their own.

In short, Mindset Labs Intro to Force on Force is a great class that was worth more to me that 20 trips to a live fire range. If you haven't taken a Force on Force class, I would highly recommend that you make taking this class a priority. As an experienced gun owner, it changed my views on what and how to train. My wife would tell you that it taught her about the realities of carrying a gun for self protection in a way that she didn't think was possible. She has even been recommending this class to the ladies at work!

Thanks to Shay for a job well done.

Top Bottom