• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grahamsy2k

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Can you freeze milk, bread, and eggs and they would still be good? Or is there something that is a good replacement for them? Like milk powder.

I have a 1 year old sister and if SHTF, I want to make sure she can get the food she needs.

stlaser

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    They sell dried milk in bulk at Sam's & dairy cows need milked daily. My chickens lay eggs every day and you can buy flour/yeast in bulk as well and make your own bread. What was the question again?

Can you freeze milk, bread, and eggs and they would still be good? Or is there something that is a good replacement for them? Like milk powder.

I have a 1 year old sister and if SHTF, I want to make sure she can get the food she needs.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    YES x3

We freeze bread every week. My inlaws buy milk when its the cheepest and freeze it, and if I don't gather my eggs fast enough in the winter... they freeze. I would dehydrate them before I would freeze them though.

Are you planning on have a french toast emergency or something?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Yep. You can certainly freeze bread and milk. I do it all the time with bread. Not so much with milk. Eggs need to be separated out to freeze well and they do not have a good lifespan in the freezer. Use ice cube trays for egg whites and yolks. Makes it easier to use them in recipes. One egg per cube. Then you can bag 'em after they're frozen. Just make sure you use them regularly to cycle through.

Rikkrack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Montgomery Co
    Yes to all but everyone else already said it. Been buying bread ad discount for years and putting in freezer. Same with milk. Skim freezes better than whole, and you have to shake it up once it thaws before you use it. Never frozen eggs, but know you can do it. I dehydrate my extra eggs.

In true SHTF you may not have power, so freezing is useless. I would focus more efforts on storage that does not need refrigeration/freezing. Look at Sandy victims. Many have no power so freezer items just go bad.

Making your own bread is easy. You can get powdered eggs and milk. Buy small amounts and try before buying big bulk quantities. Different brands/styles taste and perform differently.

Last edited:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN

It's the Indiana SHTF survival gene. When snow is coming, they should just issue a French toast warning so everyone knows to flock to the store for bread, milk & eggs!

OP, kudos for thinking of your sister.

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Egg whites freeze well, yolks not so much. Can be done, though. I store powdered whole eggs. I got into it accidentally. Had been purchasing powdered eggs for dry cookie mixes I made - I wanted them to be sort of a just add water idea.

lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    You can live solely off potatoes, rice, or any other good starch for the most part.

Vegan's do it, I'd worry more about fresh water than dairy in the coming zombie apocalypse.

grahamsy2k

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Terre Haute
    You can live solely off potatoes, rice, or any other good starch for the most part.

Vegan's do it, I'd worry more about fresh water than dairy in the coming zombie apocalypse.

I've thought about potatoes. How obvious. Thanks

And yeah I know, but I have plenty of extra water. plus I don't have to worry about it really going bad.

tnrick55

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    bluffton
    YES x3

We freeze bread every week. My inlaws buy milk when its the cheepest and freeze it, and if I don't gather my eggs fast enough in the winter... they freeze. I would dehydrate them before I would freeze them though.

to dehydrate eggs you freeze them first anyway.

karatejoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2012
    Greenwood
    forget the eggs. you need ammo and lots of it. Get egg subtitue if you feel the need for eggs when shtf.
    chips ahoy cookies, mountain dew and lots and lots of ammo.

ClydeB

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    Southern Hoosier

For the bread.

• You can buy the prerequisites that go into bread and store them long term with no refrigeration (flour, eggs, water, yeast, etc...). Or buy the staples prepackaged. Make your bread on the fly. Though doing that has some challenges if you do not have power or a way to cook / bake.
    • Look into a products called pilot bread, hardtack, canned bread. Shelf stable products.

Milk. Not a big milk drinker but here's what I know

• You can do powdered. I hear lots of recommendations for Morning Moo's brand. Stores usually have some type of powered. Buy and try.
    • Evaporated milk in a can. Again buy and try. Next to the powdered milk at the store.
    • Shelf stable milk. Theres milk that doesnt need to be stored in the fridge. Until its opened. Parmalat and Horizon brands I've seen on the shelf at Walmart, Kroger, and health food stores. I personally get the Horizon juice box looking ones from Kroger and J-C foods when I need milk.

Eggs. For scrambled eggs and an ingredients in other things requiring eggs. I've got powdered eggs from Honeyville Foods :: Food Storage & Bakery Supplies. Got mine before they changed to what they have now. So not sure about that product.

marinemom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Columbus
    All will freeze. Milk just needs to be shaken once it is thawed. Eggs need to be broken out to freeze. A better alternative to freezing them is the dehydrated version.

Top Bottom