• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BOTA56

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2014
    Columbia City
    Ive been watching videos on YouTube of active / veteran military personnel calling out fakes out on the street.

Warning Language
    Here is an example: ex-Ranger and fellow veteran call out fake soldier - YouTube

Here in Columbia City we have a guy that walks around in Army BDU and pretends hes a Army soldier. While at work, I have seen him in Confinement Officer uniform and he is no Confinement Officer. Also at my work there is a Confinement Officer and a Retired Sgt. Major / ex Drill Instructor, that both just ignore him, say its not worth their time to say anything.

Do you think people like that should be confronted, or ignored?

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I see no reason in confronting them. I'd ignore them as much as you can. I work with a supposed Army sniper who "only killed who the government asked him to kill" :rolleyes:

BOTA56

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2014
    Columbia City
    I kind of agree that you shouldn't, but its hard not to when you think of all that have given life and limb, including family and friends. It seems pretty disrespectful to take credit for what others have worked so hard for.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    Its a damn shame this behavior is protected under the 1st amendment. Lying about service to country shouldn't have anything to do with freedom of speech.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I don't bust them out but I sure do ask a lot of questions that requires them to come up with one fake story after another. I have even heard true retired or inactive soldiers telling him a line of bull only to hear him repeat it to others as if it had happened to him.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    How are they different than Elvis impersonators? Except for the fact that Elvis impersonators tend to be folks with talent, but no originality, and for the fact that there was only one Elvis, so nobody else could be Elvis, they are the same. Other than the fact that the military impersonators could very well have joined the military but find it easier to just pretend instead.

Ok, they are different than Elvis impersonators. Elvis impersonators are trying to be like a drugged up narcissistic where as the military impersonators are trying to be like the best people our country produces.

I guess I'm saying I think they should be ignored. At least they are trying to be like the best our country has to offer as opposed to most of the celebrity lookalikes running around. If someone is going to idolize a different person, it's better that it's a soldier than a self absorbed musician.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    How are they different than Elvis impersonators? Except for the fact that Elvis impersonators tend to be folks with talent, but no originality, and for the fact that there was only one Elvis, so nobody else could be Elvis, they are the same. Other than the fact that the military impersonators could very well have joined the military but find it easier to just pretend instead.

Ok, they are different than Elvis impersonators. Elvis impersonators are trying to be like a drugged up narcissistic where as the military impersonators are trying to be like the best people our country produces.

I guess I'm saying I think they should be ignored. At least they are trying to be like the best our country has to offer as opposed to most of the celebrity lookalikes running around. If someone is going to idolize a different person, it's better that it's a soldier than a self absorbed musician.

An impersonator is accepted as a copy, not as someone claiming to be Elvis. Elvis Presley was in the US Army, but Elvis isn't codified into law by Title 10. Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, Airmen and Coasties aren't pop-culture icons. They are people who are bound by oath and code to support and defend the constitution of the United States and give their lives in defense of our country and our way of life. The ones who have really been there and done that? They are the quiet ones.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Ok, looked at the video. This schmuck was not only impersonating a Soldier and a senior non-commissioned officer, but was wearing a Ranger tab and an EOD patch. If you're a schmuck, try not to draw the attention of actual badasses. They don't like people falsely claiming something they have actually attained.

scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    Being a marine if I saw it and knew he was a fake. If call him out and either make him take off the uniform or publicly humiliate him for trying to clam a title he never earned

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I won't typically waste my time unless they are attempting to gain from it somehow (free drinks, meal, etc.) and I'm most likely to simply point it out to those who are being misled. I don't have a bit of sympathy for any of them though, if someone who earned the creds wants to make them lick the pavement I won't intervene.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom